Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 13d Posted 25/07/06 09:28 AM Posted 25/07/06 09:28 AM be sure to post some pics would be interesting to see the setup
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 25/07/06 09:42 AM Author Posted 25/07/06 09:42 AM Fo shizzl
Phoon Legacy Donating Member 284 Member For: 20y 9m 5d Gender: Male Posted 25/07/06 09:44 AM Posted 25/07/06 09:44 AM Steve, strip bending is another process all together. Strip bending is fine if you are bending 2 opposite planes, ie if you have a sheet 100 x 50mm for example and you want to bend the 2 sides that are 100mm. The problem you would have if you want to bend the 100mm side and the 50mm side is that the corners will be left with a curled effect. For what you want, I would suggest you go to a company that vac forms, tell them its a one off. If they are half decent, they will just knock up a simple timber mould (very cheap) as apposed to an epoxy or ali mould which are used for long run jobs (very expensive). Also make sure that any ABS you use is paintable as there are different types of ABS and some types dont alllow paint to etch in properly. So ask the question. Also be aware that when vac forming, the depth of the draw down will effect the finished wall thickness of the part, ie if you want to stretch the plastic a long way and you start with say, 4.5mm sheet, your final thickness may be 2.5mm. Ask the operator when you talk to them.Hope this helps mate.CheersJeff
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 25/07/06 10:00 AM Author Posted 25/07/06 10:00 AM Ok cool, thanks as far as bending goes, I was only going to have one main bend in it to make it L shaped... there might be some slight bend on each side to follow the line that the ICC makes but it will taper to nothing before that main bend occurs.
Phoon Legacy Donating Member 284 Member For: 20y 9m 5d Gender: Male Posted 25/07/06 10:25 AM Posted 25/07/06 10:25 AM Ok cool, thanks as far as bending goes, I was only going to have one main bend in it to make it L shaped... there might be some slight bend on each side to follow the line that the ICC makes but it will taper to nothing before that main bend occurs.←with one bend only, you should be ok to strip bend and for the size you want, a vac former or even Mulfords would probably give it to you for nothing as its only an off cut to them.jeff
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 25/07/06 10:45 AM Author Posted 25/07/06 10:45 AM Haha sweet I'll drop in one day and ask
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 26/07/06 08:55 AM Author Posted 26/07/06 08:55 AM Okay, got the plastic and cut it to the approximate shape I need, now how do I get it bent where I want it assuming I am not a plastic bending company and dont have the required tools? Or should I take it somewhere?
Phoon Legacy Donating Member 284 Member For: 20y 9m 5d Gender: Male Posted 26/07/06 09:27 AM Posted 26/07/06 09:27 AM Sorry Steve, I though you had a strip bender. Look up Plastic Fabricators in the yellow pages, it will take them 5 minutes to bend for you. They may do it for nothing or charge you $5 - $10 to put the bend in it for you.CheersJeff
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 26/07/06 09:30 AM Author Posted 26/07/06 09:30 AM Okay will do, thanks They may have one at work, I'll ask.
DCVIN Member 224 Member For: 21y 5m 17d Location: Perth Western Australia Posted 27/07/06 11:15 AM Posted 27/07/06 11:15 AM Steve if you are doing what I think your doing and it turns out the way I have wanted.. you will have to make another one for me.. just so you know
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now