Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mt Waverley
Posted

Hi,

Just had a small altercation with the gutter, yuck, didn't see it due to me being so short.

The front bumper just clipped it and pulled from the guard so now there a good gap between the right bumper and guard. (Just round the corner from the headlights.)

Does anyone know how to unscrew the small plastic screws from the inner plastic wheel arch/guard? The metal screw comes out ok but the others are some type of plastic screw in a plastic insert, very similar to upholstry retainers. They just keep turning and I can't pull the retainer part out as the screw is still inside. I need to get them out so I can get in behind the bumper to repair.

Done a search but nothing I'm afraid.

Would really appreciate anyones help.

Thanks.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 2m 28d
Posted

Hi there,

You my have to cut the heads off with a sharp knife and replace them with new ones.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 11m 10d
  • Location: Auckland
Posted

I had trouble with mine once they start turning they are normally stuffed. What I did was get a drill bit the same size and drill them out and refit new ones.

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I used a power screwdriver and unscrewed them. Some will come out, the rest I used a small flat screwdriver and leviered the middle screw out.

Ford sell them for about $1 each

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mt Waverley
Posted

Thanks very much for that everyone. I tried everything and ended up having to cut them off like you said.

I took the stone guard off as well and as both those lugs had the heads worn off them I had to cut them off as well.

I can't believe how much sag is on the whole bumper assembly, even the amount of movement it has. (About 10-15mm)

When it's sagged down the side pops out so I'll try and tighten up to the correct height.

On my way to Repco to pick up some new lugs.

Many Thanks.

  • My engine bay is Bionic
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Freeways
Posted

Although youve done it already. I took mine out recently to put mud spats on. Once you unscrew them a few turns they then pop out with a flat end screw driver. A lil fiddly but wasnt dificult.

  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

I've had the same problem with those plastic "screvits" (thats what they call them aparently.) The solution i found was to drill the hole in the inner fender panel and front bar to the same size as the hard plastic ones that secure the grill and black filler panel behind the grill. The are much stronger and easier to remove if you ever need to get them out again.... :spoton:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mt Waverley
Posted
I've had the same problem with those plastic "screvits" (that's what they call them aparently.) The solution I found was to drill the hole in the inner fender panel and front bar to the same size as the hard plastic ones that secure the grill and black filler panel behind the grill. The are much stronger and easier to remove if you ever need to get them out again.... :spoton:

That's a great idea too, hmm will get onto that this weekend. I want to lift the front bar up as high as I can as it scrapes anything taller than a matchbox. It's the plastic deflector underneath that's the real problem hitting speedhumps etc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...