Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 5m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South Australia
Posted

Hey guys and girls,

I want to know more about how the factory sat nav is displayed on the premium sound colour screen. How hard is it to fit sat nav to a one that doesn't have the factory option. I don't want to install a sh*tty hand held one I want it to be displayed on the screen. Is there any cheaper options than buying the factory one from ford?? wat does everyone (that knows wat there talking about) reckon?

cheers

  • Tractor Driver
  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 7m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Yeah, scour Ebay for a Blaupunkt unit, they only make one and it's the one in the Fords. How to connect it up, however, I can't help with.

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I know from experience that a Factory Satnav CANNOT be fitted to a non factory satnav car. This is because the wiring loom is different, as Satnav is a factory fitted option and not dealer fitted.

As Loopism mentioned there is a Blaupunkt unit that can be fitted to the colour ICC, but it is about $2,500+ fitting.

If you want satnav on the ICC, speak to ASL http://asllogistics.com/ as they know the ICC and how to intergrate with it.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 6d
  • Location: The Monaro
Posted (edited)

The cost of Ford Sat-Nav made me go this way. The screen is just in the right place for touching and the image is in the line of sight, in fact I use the GPS speed reading to drive with. it is easier to view than the dash. now if I can just show the pics. :spoton::spoton:

post-8433-1152149475_thumb.jpg

Edited by 245T
  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 11m 29d
Posted

I know from experience that a Factory Satnav CANNOT be fitted to a non factory satnav car. This is because the wiring loom is different, as Satnav is a factory fitted option and not dealer fitted. :spoton:

As Loopism mentioned there is a Blaupunkt unit that can be fitted to the colour ICC, but it is about $2,500+ fitting.

If you want satnav on the ICC, speak to ASL http://asllogistics.com/ as they know the ICC and how to intergrate with it.

I don't think the factory wants the local Buffoons at the dealership pulling out someones interior just to install a GPS transmitter/receiver and to run a SatNav cable from the Boot to the Dash when it can be done more efficiently at the factory... Something about Quality control also comes to mind....

Anyway, the factory sat nav plugs into the connector behind the tissue box holder, If you already have the Premium ICC, there should be no reason why a factory satnav unit and loom won't plug in & be instantly operational, the BCM (body control module) should be the same for all models with the premium ICC (XR, Territory, Fairmont & Fairlane)

I recall articles in this forum that spoke of Tv on the ICC.... Hmmmm.....

If you can put TV/DVD onto the ICC, why wouldn't factory satnav work, it will interface with the Speed Sensor, I.R. Remote and all the parts can be sourced from your friendly dealer....

As for wiring an Non-Gen satnav into it, that might be fraught with danger (unusable ICC or satnav)..... I would make sure you know how the SatNav you intend to buy outputs its signals (Composite, RGB, Scart, etc) and then you have legalities as far as using it while driving, etc....

A touchy subject considering the amount of aftermarket SatNav units available....

IS it really worth risking the money to attempt an Non-Gen unit and integrate it?

My Suggestion would be get a FORD parts CD & look at the components required for SatNav & price them, then compare it to an in car unit....

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

800sta,

While you may be correct about plugging in the factory loom, I was told by Ford that I could not buy the loom as it was intergrated into the factory loom.

I had a BA that had factory Satnav and tried everythign to get it moved into the new BF, but everything I tried came up with another problem.

If you were to buy the parts from Ford, I would bet the cost would be over $5,000 as the factory option is $3,600+ as it is.

The Blaupunkt option is a good one and I know several people on this forum that paid the money to have it fitted. Apparently there is also a VDO option that will use the factory screen as well.

  • EVO 9 SUPPORTER
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 6d
  • Location: NO CAPA EDIT REQUIRED HERE!
Posted

I had the VDO Sat Nav fitted to my car and its what Ford uses etc.. I would be keen on selling it if you like as I pulled the system out when I sold the car.

  • My engine bay is Bionic
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Freeways
Posted

Plenty of after market real good ones that plug into the power source and sit on the dash, in a much better viewing position.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Miranda NSW
Posted

Each to their own, but I could not justify thousands of dollars for the genuine GPS system. (plus SWMBO would make sure it never happened!)

I use the windscreen adapter (a decent one) and my IPAQ PPC with TomTom

I needed the PPC for work, so I had one anyway.

$30 for the windscreen adapter

I then trawled the net for the "evaluation" version of TomTom with the latest Australia maps.

ie it added up to a hell of a lot less than factory fitted and also, no hassles of using it in any vehicle

I even built a small circuit for the PPC to play its voice commands through the sound system ie it cuts the radio off when it gives direction.

Really happy considering what it cost me

Good luck if you go the expensive option, I am sure it will look better than my setup

Alanb :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...