Sudden Power Loss

incito

• Member For: 18y 3m 21d

Problem I have is it isn't consistent... doesn't matter wether the car is hot or cold. Happened arround town after a 10 minute drive then happened again 2 hours into a longer drive. Drove it around Pukekohe raceway at a trackday on the weekend without an issue.

I would have though that fuel would give me a misfire rather than just cleanly dropping power... it's like you just turned the engine off.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mushroom
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d
Hope someone can help me.  Go a 2005 BAII XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual. John Bowe Kit, Larger Injectors and Flash Tune currently 262 RWKW

Car as just started dying while at full throttle. Doesn't happen every time but when it does it's like hitting a wall with a complete loss of power. Generally happens arround 4,000 RPM.  No visual systems I.e the enginer warning light doesn't light up. If I leave the throttle flat to the floor the car stays in its no power state. As soon as I lift off everything returns to normal and if I floor it again it generally revs to the limit.

As an experiment last time this happened I left it floored and put in the clutch the engine fell back to 2000 RPM help there for 2 or 3 seconds then started to gradually climb until it hit 4500 and then took off and revved out as you would expect.

Had it to the local Dealer and they're checked the computer and theres no error codes.

Any bright ideas?

Stuart

Mate, this is exactly the same symptoms I was getting when my valve springs were getting soft. When it first started happening it was intermittent also.

You mention it's like the engine turning off - I likened it to the traction control engaging.

Not doubting you guys but........ I'm yet to be convinced it's valve springs. I would have expected some form or mechanical symptons such as vibration or misfire if this was the cause. Also as soon as a put my foot on the gas I can rev to the limit gear after gear (guess I'm trying to find something else so I can avoid the expense of spring replacement).

Stuart

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 14d

If you're not convinced it's valve springs it could be programming. Maybe.

Rather than speculating, have you tried taking it back to your tuner? You should consider a second opinion as well from another tuner.

I'll be taking it back tomorrow to the tuner. He aware of my problem and is currently reviewing that maps he's loaded but he has used these maps in the past without issue. As I said previously this guy is considered one of the best on this side of the ditch with a whole lot of happy customers to testify to his skills.

Both him and my local dealer (whoes well aware that this car has been flash tuned) can't explain what is happening. Guess this is the issue when we're driving vehicles that are highly dependant on computers and various sensors.

• Member For: 18y 2m

had a similar problem with my auto BA T, hit the brick wall when coming on boost, didn't matter whether in stock tune or edit tune, the same loss of power. Ford service diagnosed a dud iridium plug. Put in a new set under warranty with immediate improvement, back to the ol grunt mobile that I know and love.

• Member For: 18y 4m

Does John bowe kit have upgraded exhaust ? Because u could have a partial blockage at the cat if it has the standard exhaust as I have a mate who experienced same sort of problem. Just check temp differential between front and back of cat.

• Mushroom
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d
Not doubting you guys but........ I'm yet to be convinced it's valve springs.  I would have expected some form or mechanical symptons such as  vibration or misfire if this was the cause. Also as soon as a put my foot on the gas I can rev to the limit gear after gear (guess I'm trying to find something else so I can avoid the expense of spring replacement).

Stuart

Mate I thought the same thing. Danced around it and tried every other scenario first, but springs it was. The symtoms certainly *sound* the same from what you've said.