mpvxr6t Member 13 Member For: 20y 6m 9d Location: shepparton Posted 06/05/06 05:44 AM Posted 06/05/06 05:44 AM G'day all.I am looking at purchasing a CAPA flash tuner as from what I have read here they seem to be the best bang for the $ My question is, at what power figure {RWKW} would it be advisable to upgrade the valve springs and what exactly are the benefits of doing so? I have read so many different views in regards to this that for a novice like me it can get quite confusing. Also generally, what cost factor would I be looking at for springs and installation?Much appreciated,MichaelPS: Autobrakes Winton Track Fun Day 16-7-06 $25
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 14d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 06/05/06 05:51 AM Posted 06/05/06 05:51 AM G'day all.I am looking at purchasing a CAPA flash tuner as from what I have read here they seem to be the best bang for the $ My question is, at what power figure {RWKW} would it be advisable to upgrade the valve springs and what exactly are the benefits of doing so? I have read so many different views in regards to this that for a novice like me it can get quite confusing. Also generally, what cost factor would I be looking at for springs and installation?Much appreciated,MichaelPS: Autobrakes Winton Track Fun Day 16-7-06 $25 ←What model T do you have?
mpvxr6t Member 13 Member For: 20y 6m 9d Location: shepparton Posted 06/05/06 05:56 AM Author Posted 06/05/06 05:56 AM Recently acquired 03 ba mk1 T auto
G6ET8U Playing with Sports Bikes... Legacy Donating Member 1,927 Member For: 20y 11m 7d Gender: Male Location: Whistling, GTX. Posted 06/05/06 05:58 AM Posted 06/05/06 05:58 AM Hey Michael,if you are just looking at doing an edit tune only on the car then the factory valve springs and injectors will handle that quite easily... any further than that and you will hear differing opinions of what is best... I personally would recommend taking to one of the well known tuners down in Melbourne (I see your from Shep) and go from there...Currently I have just an edit tune on an early series 1 BA, and my next mod in the next couple of weeks will be injectors and valve springs, that is what my tuner (Nizpro) has recommended to me and that is what I am going with...Jack
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 14d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 06/05/06 06:04 AM Posted 06/05/06 06:04 AM An edit and custom tune would take you to about the valve springs limit, ~250rwkw's.The series 1 valve springs wont handle much more power and the car will suffer from valves bounce if you push the car much past that.Do edit 1st and see what you think.
mpvxr6t Member 13 Member For: 20y 6m 9d Location: shepparton Posted 06/05/06 06:05 AM Author Posted 06/05/06 06:05 AM Thanx heaps, much appreciated. It awesome having such help an information available here at my fingertips.Cheers
fill Member 127 Member For: 21y 1m 18d Location: Sydney Posted 06/05/06 07:26 AM Posted 06/05/06 07:26 AM My valve springs were ok up to about 270rwkw on a soft tune although I have a 2004 late year model and I think the springs may have been different than yours. I also had a full exhaust and that helps relieve the pressure on the springs.When I added an intercooler and better tune (C&V ) they started acting up big time.
ugy Legacy Donating Member 199 Member For: 20y 11m 15d Location: Auckland Posted 06/05/06 08:54 AM Posted 06/05/06 08:54 AM I got my 05 MK11 up to 320rw on the dyno and my springs let go so they had to be replaced.I had 285rw before that with no problems.
dingah2 Crusty aviator Member 846 Member For: 22y 3m 17d Gender: Male Location: ACT Posted 07/05/06 07:42 AM Posted 07/05/06 07:42 AM It's more a function of boost pressure and revs rather than power. I could run 280RWKW with APS Phase II but with the Edit raising the boost to 12.5 rather than the 10psi used with the APS Phase II, above 5000 RPM one or two of the springs found it hard to cope. Thus I'd advise going ahead with the tuning and see if and when the springs become an issue and then make your decision whether to press on and get the springs changed or keep the pressures/power below the precipitating figures. That said FOR MY T (BA MK 1) at or above 5000RPM on the 309RWKW tune, changing my springs made a 70RWKW difference.Dingah
Lawsy Wanabe mechanical engineer Legacy Donating Member 960 Member For: 22y 19d Gender: Male Location: At the computer, obviously..... Posted 08/05/06 01:55 AM Posted 08/05/06 01:55 AM If the funds are available just get it all done at the same time.... Have 1 tune for all out power and then a 2nd tune to run on 95RON fuel @ about 250rwkw....That way there is no fuss about it.......
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now