turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 08/03/06 11:23 AM Posted 08/03/06 11:23 AM Hi Martyn...my 2.2 cents worth of feedback....I would think that a key element for us home tinkerers would be the ability to look at the fundamental engine parameters via a data logging system during competition events (such as drag racing, dyno shootouts, circuit racing).Speed, Rpm, AFR, timing advance, boost pressure, air intake temp are key items of interest to engine performance. Add logging for critical engine parameters such as knock sensing, engine oil and trans oil temps, engine oil pressure, water temps and fuel pressure and you can collect considerable data to help in developing a method of monitoring and evaluating the gains of "mods" that we make.To have the ability to make slight adjustments to compensate for measured (logged) variations would then be done on the basis of quantitative data, and NOT "gut feel".I would be reluctant to modify engine timing or fuel mixture when at the strip if I did not have any data to base my changes on. With adjacent competitors running alongside with open exhausts, and a helmet on the head, there's NO way you can physically hear the onset of pinging/detonation, which would indicate a dangerous condition.I believe if you can provide a system which provides the basic functionality of a data logger, with the ability to make slight changes to timing and fuel delivery and boost parameters, you'll be on a winner.The idea of being able to tailor a tune at the track for the actual conditions is a great idea..... as long as you make your decisions based on factual data.Add some fine tuning for trans control and it gets even better.I still love the idea of being able to switch "maps" on the fly too, rather than having to download each map. Drive around on the everyday (eg 260 rwkw) map, but be able to flick in the killer 330 rwkw map when a LS11 apears next to you at the lights onya tunakeep us informed.tom (aka 68vet)
RAPHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,776 Member For: 23y 3m 12d Posted 08/03/06 11:30 AM Posted 08/03/06 11:30 AM I am unsure about the "I own the tune cause I paid for it" line, yep you paid for it, it is flashed into your box for you to take home, but the tuner still owns the interlectual property of the tune, not you, you paid for it, but didnt create it, much like a CD or DVD, you can own a copy, but the creator owns the work, and the right to onsell their work, but you dont.I agree with Eugene here.When you buy your Windows software, you take it home on a disk and install/use it at your leasure, BUT you DO NOT get the source code. Same thing with the tuners' intellectual property.
F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 24d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 08/03/06 11:51 AM Posted 08/03/06 11:51 AM I would think that a key element for us home tinkerers would be the ability to look at the fundamental engine parameters via a data logging system during competition events (such as drag racing, dyno shootouts, circuit racing).<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I Agree. But I've logged my tunes more than my tuners ever have, and they (Collectivly) have never tuned with a logger connected to a car on a power run. Except for M6XR6T, where we used mine. Amazing results were to be had.BTW, I think there's a new piece of kit which comes integrated with logger.
sutty Mushroom Legacy Donating Member 799 Member For: 22y 4m 24d Gender: Male Location: THORNLANDS, QLD Posted 08/03/06 12:10 PM Posted 08/03/06 12:10 PM I would think that a key element for us home tinkerers would be the ability to look at the fundamental engine parameters via a data logging system during competition events (such as drag racing, dyno shootouts, circuit racing).Speed, Rpm, AFR, timing advance, boost pressure, air intake temp are key items of interest to engine performance. Add logging for critical engine parameters such as knock sensing, engine oil and trans oil temps, engine oil pressure, water temps and fuel pressure and you can collect considerable data to help in developing a method of monitoring and evaluating the gains of "mods" that we make.To have the ability to make slight adjustments to compensate for measured (logged) variations would then be done on the basis of quantitative data, and NOT "gut feel".I totally agree and think data logging in some form would be a necessity.Anyone who tinkers without access to some form of data logger / dyno is really playing with fire.
sutty Mushroom Legacy Donating Member 799 Member For: 22y 4m 24d Gender: Male Location: THORNLANDS, QLD Posted 08/03/06 12:11 PM Posted 08/03/06 12:11 PM Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the flasher needs to log data, just that anyone who tinkers needs some form of logging.
turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 08/03/06 12:18 PM Posted 08/03/06 12:18 PM Hi Martyn...my 2.2 cents worth of feedback....I would think that a key element for us home tinkerers would be the ability to look at the fundamental engine parameters via a data logging system during competition events (such as drag racing, dyno shootouts, circuit racing).onya tunakeep us informed.tom (aka 68vet)I think your asking a bit much from a simple flash tuner.On the contrary.... All the data is there.... being interogated by the ECU continuously.The flash tuner already has the hardware for communication with the OBD11 port, and all the data for logging is available from that port. All it requiires is an additional memory chip, and the code to log the data to memory. It's NOT that difficult if you have access to the code sequences for extracting the parameters required.Like I said, I'd want to have quantitative data before making changes to a custom dyno tune.Having logged data of power runs (as F6ute also points out) is ideal feedback for assessment of where additional changes can be made. If you don't have the confidence in making your own adjustments, by providing the logged data to your tuner, he can make qualified tweaks to a custom tune much more easily.I'd be surprised if CAPA have not incorporated some logging features, as it is a great feature with minimum additional hardware cost.tom
kawerx TerriGhia Legacy Donating Member 206 Member For: 20y 8m 17d Posted 08/03/06 12:26 PM Posted 08/03/06 12:26 PM Hi Martyn...my 2.2 cents worth of feedback....I would think that a key element for us home tinkerers would be the ability to look at the fundamental engine parameters via a data logging system during competition events (such as drag racing, dyno shootouts, circuit racing).onya tunakeep us informed.tom (aka 68vet)I think your asking a bit much from a simple flash tuner.On the contrary.... All the data is there.... being interogated by the ECU continuously.The flash tuner already has the hardware for communication with the OBD11 port, and all the data for logging is available from that port. All it requiires is an additional memory chip, and the code to log the data to memory. It's NOT that difficult if you have access to the code sequences for extracting the parameters required.Like I said, I'd want to have quantitative data before making changes to a custom dyno tune.Having logged data of power runs (as F6ute also points out) is ideal feedback for assessment of where additional changes can be made. If you don't have the confidence in making your own adjustments, by providing the logged data to your tuner, he can make qualified tweaks to a custom tune much more easily.I'd be surprised if CAPA have not incorporated some logging features, as it is a great feature with minimum additional hardware cost.tomflash tuner is not for data logging.I think these products are coming towards the end of the year.you can buy equipment now to read all the info coming from the obdII port.these units are expensive and desighned for profesionals.that's not what this software is about.its about giving people the ability to access thier flash tuners.the flash tuner is not for storing info from the car.
kawerx TerriGhia Legacy Donating Member 206 Member For: 20y 8m 17d Posted 08/03/06 12:28 PM Posted 08/03/06 12:28 PM you dont need codes to read the info coming out of the obdII port just the right tools for the job.
kawerx TerriGhia Legacy Donating Member 206 Member For: 20y 8m 17d Posted 08/03/06 12:31 PM Posted 08/03/06 12:31 PM Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the flasher needs to log data, just that anyone who tinkers needs some form of logging.
xr8ute_1999 Member 4 Member For: 22y 20d Location: Wollongong Posted 08/03/06 03:45 PM Posted 08/03/06 03:45 PM Please tell me you guys are considering selling something like the SCT "Pro Racer" package in the states...?I would definitely be in the market for a full blown Advantage v3 software package, but of course locked down to my car's VIN. I.e. can't tune my mates cars with it like the dealer software.I'd want to be able share/modify tunes between myself and my tuner via email.I'd want to be able to datalog via Raptor or XCal 2.I'd like to not have to pay for a datalogger, and/or flash tuner (I.e. XCal 1) if I already own these products.I'd be happy to pay 1000-1200 for this sort of product, on top of the cost of a flash tuner and datalogger. I would expect a minimum of forum support like the Pro Racer forum @ www.sctflash.com. Phone support during business hours would be nice.How soon?Cheers,Dave
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now