Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 6m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: New Zealand
Posted

I am sure you feel like a di*k for stuffing up - but most of us have done something along the same lines at some stage.

My story:

When I was about 17 my mother had a Riley Elf (a bit like a cross between a Mini and a Morris 1100), and it had a hotted up motor (twin carbs, flowed head, extractors and a semi-race cam) and fat wheels etc ( I liked borrowing mums car). I lived in a suburb that was in a valley over a hill (in Australia you would call it a Mountain Range). Basically the hill had 2or 3 lanes on each side of the road, split by a median strip (like a footpath in the middle of the road), It was steep, and had lots of bends with off camber road, quite tricky and fun. It was the local race track for young guys like me really.

I was flogging the wee Riley up the hill and caught up to a V8 Expensive Daewoo of some description, and of course he wasnt going to be beaten by a funny looking mini, so we raced up the hill. He managed to just keep in front to the top of the hill, but as we started to head down, of course the handling of the mini down the twisty bits, and the fact that I was a mad lunatic meant we left the Expensive Daewoo behind (though I think at this stage my brothers fingernails were leaving lasting impressions in the seat).

Anyway - all was going well - should have slowed down a bit, but I was 17.... kept my foot up it, and was going damn quick, sliding around all the corners, (my brother was impressed up to this point), until the rear end of the car decided to try and overtake the front. Now- being a front wheel drive, and the fact that I already had my foot right down, and a change in direction was required for the next corner, this wasnt a good thing - as I very quickly ran out of steering lock, and very soon ended up spinning and skidding down through the gutter, and up onto the median strip - hell of a noise - scraping and stuff from under the car. We ended up parked up on top of the median strip, almost like we had intended to. Next minute - Expensive Daewoo drives past - of course they were pissing themselves to see our car parked up on the median strip (lukcy they didnt see the rest).

My older brother at this point decided I was a silly bugger - and that he should drive, of course, I decided it was better to engage a gear and get going - so I did.

Well - at the end of the day - the only scratches were under the car - and dirt soon hid them again - and Mum never found out (hope she doesnt read these forums). About a year later they put a 5 foot high armco barrier filled with gravel all the way along the median strip - so that accident would have left a mark or ten.

About 2 years later (much more grown up) I had a highly modified 2 litre Mark 1 Escort - went really fast! Ripping up the same hill - came up behind a v8 Holden! (was a different one) Well - I had more power now - and blitz him up the last straight up the hill I did - then poof, huge clouds of smoke out the back of the car, in the car, and a bit of a rattle (broken rings), but the good thing - just got to the top of the hill ahead of him, and still beat him down the hill! Had to stop at the bottom of the hill - no oil pressure left - and clouds of smoke all around me. beep beep - b*stard Expensive Daewoo guys laughing! Oh well.

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 8d
  • Location: sydney
Posted

it sounds like you were fairly lucky to get away with the 1st one. I have to admit I never drove anything fast when I was young as I owned a datsun 120y for my first car and a honda accord for my second.

I did have a porche 911 for a day though and that was the absolute best, altough I was 24 at the time.

anyway I can safely say that this was my first stack and I hope it is the last because it is pretty scary when you loose it with 200 odd kilowats hitting the rear tyres.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 6m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: New Zealand
Posted

Spinning the Cobra at about 160kph was scary! Spinning the Riley was just embarrasing!

Was at a circuit made up of several airport runways - spun off one runway and ended up going down the wrong one spinning around and around. No idea of how many times I went around - my brother said he just saw a huge cloud of smoke- headlights peeking out - then brake lights - then headlights etc. Kept my foot on the clutch during the spin though - and past some of the cars down the straight again when I got going!

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 9d
  • Location: Coffs NSW
Posted

Many moons ago

Myself and a couple of mates purchased a Valiant ute (265 hemi) :blink: as a shooting buggy for a property that said mates father owned.

Being young and dump we welded a bench seat accross the wheel tub and put a 1in pipe cage around the out side of the tray.

OOPS had to drive it 500ks to the property. We got some funny looks but who cares. :blink:

About 50k's from the property all dirt road, first thing that goes is the zoorst. Great sounded like a stock car. Guess who desided to see how fast it would go. O :spoton: foregot about the bend.

Mate said all he could see from the chase car is head lights-tail lights about 5 times, in the car neither me or the passanger remeber the car going around. was great ride doing close to 180k's on the dirt in a val. :spoton:

  • THE Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted (edited)
Many moons ago

Myself and a couple of mates purchased a Valiant ute (265 hemi)  :msm:  as a shooting buggy for a property that said mates father owned.

Being young and dump we welded a bench seat accross the wheel tub and put a 1in pipe cage around the out side of the tray.

OOPS had to drive it 500ks to the property. We got some funny looks but who cares. :spoton:

About 50k's from the property all dirt road, first thing that goes is the zoorst. Great sounded like a stock car. Guess who desided to see how fast it would go. O :msm:  foregot about the bend.

Mate said all he could see from the chase car is head lights-tail lights about 5 times, in the car neither me or the passanger remeber the car going around. was great ride doing close to 180k's on the dirt in a val. :blink:

Ahh, the shooting Rig :blink:

Many a time did I nearly die in our mazda 1600 wagon/ converted ute!! had the same 1inh rollcage we fabricated, more spotlights than the altinator could handle but did we think it was the coolest thing ever!!

look back now and can not beleive know got crushed or shot in that thing! :spoton:

But great fun!!

Chooka

Edited by Chooka

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...