Yoda Member 131 Member For: 23y 10d Gender: Male Location: Country Victoria Posted 02/01/06 11:19 PM Posted 02/01/06 11:19 PM Just wanted to know what tyres people are using for track days particularly street legal semi-slicks or any others that are good for a few hard laps.Cheers, and happy new year!
thebrunks Member 665 Member For: 22y 2m 23d Location: Gold Coast Posted 03/01/06 02:47 AM Posted 03/01/06 02:47 AM I race on Yokohama Advan A032R, as do Improved Production. they grip pretty well & are street legal.The Australian Production Car Championship run on Advan A048 & they're also legalThey wouldn't hold up for too long for general use, but they're pretty good for the track.Russ
Wayne D Member 12 Member For: 21y 4m 15d Posted 03/01/06 03:12 AM Posted 03/01/06 03:12 AM I've spent 2 days down at Wakefield Park using the standard Dunlops. They feel great and wear well. Have never driven a car with really soft tyres so can't really help with what's good and what's not. I am running 1.5 degrees of negative camber and am getting no feathering while driving around home. My wheel alignment guy says it must be the spirited driving. Anyway, when these wear out think I will go for some really soft compound tyre on a spare set of rims and probably be blown away by the difference.!!!
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 25d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 03/01/06 06:19 AM Posted 03/01/06 06:19 AM I was driving besides a brand spankin new subaru STI the other day amd OMFG u should have seen the tyres this thing had on, they looked like total track tyres!they were michellin sumthings, really fat contact patches and looked like a treaded slick.
ExAreSix TRAITOR Legacy Donating Member 1,063 Member For: 23y 11m 14d Gender: Male Location: Townsville, NQ Posted 03/01/06 07:15 AM Posted 03/01/06 07:15 AM I was driving besides a brand spankin new subaru STI the other day amd OMFG u should have seen the tyres this thing had on, they looked like total track tyres!they were michellin sumthings, really fat contact patches and looked like a treaded slick.Standard Fitment on the new STi's. Impressive.Spose they needed to try something different to keep up with the Evo.
F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 18d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 04/01/06 04:38 AM Posted 04/01/06 04:38 AM I've spent 2 days down at Wakefield Park using the standard Dunlops. They feel great and wear well. Have never driven a car with really soft tyres so can't really help with what's good and what's not. Anyway, when these wear out think I will go for some really soft compound tyre on a spare set of rims and probably be blown away by the difference.!!!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did a day at Wanneroo on standard Dunlops and they didn't like it one bit. They went all greasy and lost all sense of direction when pushed hard. Cornering speed was deplorable with them, understeer wasn't too bad though, considering the weight they have to lug around.Not too bad for as a road tyre I suppose. Spare rims would be the ideal situation, as you mention and the only way to get a no compramise situation no matter what you're doing.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now