G6ET8U Playing with Sports Bikes... Legacy Donating Member 1,927 Member For: 20y 11m 10d Gender: Male Location: Whistling, GTX. Posted 03/12/05 03:41 AM Author Posted 03/12/05 03:41 AM How long have you owned the car? I'm the 2nd owner and have only had it 7 weeks now... so that is why I haven't sussed the whole car yet... I don't do the 5th/3rd change much, if at all. Just wondered why it wouldn't change as that makes it different to every manual car I've ever driven...Thanks for the replies...Jack
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 03/12/05 03:50 AM Posted 03/12/05 03:50 AM How long have you owned the car?I'm the 2nd owner and have only had it 7 weeks now... so that is why I haven't sussed the whole car yet... I don't do the 5th/3rd change much, if at all. Just wondered why it wouldn't change as that makes it different to every manual car I've ever driven...Thanks for the replies...Jack mate, get that crunch documented asap..... the factory warranty is three years right?? that means you have a month to go it.. dont let them tell you they cant take it till january... the crunch (once it has sarted) will always happen if you change at higher revs... unfortunately the crunch only gets worse and worse... make sure you do this before xmas with a ford service guy sitting next to you... you only have this month to play with if your sig is correct and the car is 12-2002 build... good luck just make sure it is written on paper that you have the crunch.
G6ET8U Playing with Sports Bikes... Legacy Donating Member 1,927 Member For: 20y 11m 10d Gender: Male Location: Whistling, GTX. Posted 03/12/05 04:00 AM Author Posted 03/12/05 04:00 AM mate, get that crunch documented asap..... the factory warranty is three years right?? that means you have a month to go it.. dont let them tell you they cant take it till january... the crunch (once it has sarted) will always happen if you change at higher revs... unfortunately the crunch only gets worse and worseAll good... Have booked it in for 12th December and the car was built 12/2002 but was first registered 03/2003 so the factory warranty is still available till March next year.Jack
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 03/12/05 04:04 AM Posted 03/12/05 04:04 AM mate, get that crunch documented asap..... the factory warranty is three years right?? that means you have a month to go it.. dont let them tell you they cant take it till january... the crunch (once it has sarted) will always happen if you change at higher revs... unfortunately the crunch only gets worse and worseAll good... Have booked it in for 12th December and the car was built 12/2002 but was first registered 03/2003 so the factory warranty is still available till March next year.Jack good stuff
jet jockey Member 36 Member For: 22y 7m 18d Posted 03/12/05 05:48 AM Posted 03/12/05 05:48 AM Had my 5th gear syncro replaced at around 40000km.No problems here with the 5th to 3rd change, sept 03 build car
RAPHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,776 Member For: 23y 3m 12d Posted 03/12/05 12:11 PM Posted 03/12/05 12:11 PM Hey...Just seeing if anyone else has had a problem with their T5's...My car has covered 41,000k's with full service history. When driving it won't make the 5th/3rd down change, it is like there is a 'blockage' not allowing it to go in to 3rd. If you go from 5th to 4th but don't engage 4th then complete the change in to 3rd it goes in fine... what's wrong with my tranmission? Other than SS Inductions cold air intake and K&N air filter there is nothing else done to the car mechanically... will these modified parts affect my chance of a warranty claim if needed? I don't do burnouts or drive a P-Plater with a drift car in my T... when I bought my wheels the other week they even asked me if I wanted to go and have some fun with my old tyres before I put the new ones on and said no...I am going to head to my local ford dealer (Knox Ford) this morning and see if I can book it in to have them look at it... but just wanted some prior knowledge before I head down there... surely 41k is too low a km reading to have a stock transmission fail on a mechanically stock car????Edit- It has also 'crunched' in to 5th a few times no other gears just 5th... I didn't expect this from a synchro tranmission... maybe my 8 tonne truck at work but not my 'new' car...Cheers for any replies...Jack Jack,I had this "optional Extra" with my first gearbox.Ford tried a number of times to fix it but eventually Ion supplied a replacement T5.- It's not right that it crunches into 5th. Trust me, this will only get worse over time.- It's not right that it will not shift from 5th to 3rd.This was only rectified by the installation of box #3.Good luck.
mickq Member 740 Member For: 23y 5m 17d Posted 04/12/05 11:07 AM Posted 04/12/05 11:07 AM Personally (and I know a lot wont like hearing this!) I dont believe it is good driving practice to skip a gear and do a 5th->3rd change.The better way to do it is (as someone said above) 5->4->3 and if you want you can keep the clutch in and not let it out in 4th. ie In 5th, clutch in, move gear stick to 4th then to third, clutch out in 3rd.The best way is letting the clutch out in 4th. Then back in and into 3rd before letting it out again. The extra-best way (if you are 'properly' driving) is to double clutch it to match input and output speeds in each gear - although people dont often do this as they have gotten slack and depend on syncros to do the hard work for them. It technically should be: hooning along in 5th gear. Clutch in, car into neutral, clutch out, clutch in, car into 4th, clutch out, clutch in, car into 3rd, clutch out. I wonder if anyone here is hard core enough to drive that way? (I am, when Im in the mood). Its also good as it will save your syncros - even if your syncros are 100% stuffed you can drive like that without a single grumble from your syncros or gearbox. And yes, you can get all that done in a second or so. Ask anyone used to driving car with no syncromesh about how to drive Its also a dangerous practice in many trucks, and the result of doing it will often be you stuck out of gear (ie in neutral) coasting with reduced control and braking, desperately hunting for a gear to be in. Very dangerous. (Ask me how I know....)That being said, if you really want to do it, a slight adjustment of your gear changing may stop the 1st gear protection thing kicking in - if that's what the problem is. It may be the gearstick is just a mm off where it should be - enough for somethign to be triggered thinking you are about to try to put it in 1st.
WBT56 Mal Wood Automotive Member 457 Member For: 23y 11m 2d Gender: Male Posted 04/12/05 09:44 PM Posted 04/12/05 09:44 PM ...Edit- It has also 'crunched' in to 5th a few times no other gears just 5th... I didn't expect this from a synchro tranmission...<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you skip shift into fifth? I have NEVER seen a fifth gear synchro failure in a T5 that was not skip shifted. You have to realize what is happening in the box when you do this. You are asking the synchro to synchronize input at 6000rpm (2nd) to 2070rpm. (100km/h). When going from fourth into fifth you are only making it synchronise 2875 to 2070. This is a huge difference. Ben.
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 17d Gender: Male Posted 05/12/05 06:26 AM Posted 05/12/05 06:26 AM I have the crunchy 5th gear too and it will be replaced under warranty..I am guilty of skip-shifting but I dont try to jam it in there. the 5th to 3rd problem you learn to drive around.. mine will not go over if you dont bring the stick down enough out of 5th, you get used to it ben, I understand what you are saying and it makes perfenct sense.. is it bad even if you go 3rd to 5th (at 100kph) without ramming it in?
G6ET8U Playing with Sports Bikes... Legacy Donating Member 1,927 Member For: 20y 11m 10d Gender: Male Location: Whistling, GTX. Posted 05/12/05 09:09 AM Author Posted 05/12/05 09:09 AM Do you skip shift into fifth? I have NEVER seen a fifth gear synchro failure in a T5 that was not skip shifted. You have to realize what is happening in the box when you do this. You are asking the synchro to synchronize input at 6000rpm (2nd) to 2070rpm. (100km/h). When going from fourth into fifth you are only making it synchronise 2875 to 2070. This is a huge difference. Ben. No I don't skip shift in to fifth... always change in order up and down the gearbox... I get the crunch into 5th mostly when entering a freeway and under heavier acceleration than normal as I attempt merge with the traffic...Jack
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now