Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 13d
Posted

Hi everyone,

I've seen a poster advertising Shell Optimax 100 octane fuel on Cowpasture Rd, Bonnyrigg Heights, Sydney. I usually use Vortex 98 or Bp Ultimate but I had a quick look at Shell's website and read that this fuel uses a 5% mix of ethanol.

Does anyone know anything about this re: suitability for our cars? Is this fuel available in other states and has anyone tried it? Does it have performance advantages?

The ethanol thing scares me somewhat...so I am interested in others' comments.

Thanks in advance!

  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Next stage, to the Pub in 10 seconds
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 1m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Berwick Victoria
Posted
Hi everyone,

I've seen a poster advertising Shell Optimax 100 octane fuel on Cowpasture Rd, Bonnyrigg Heights, Sydney. I usually use Vortex 98 or Bp Ultimate but I had a quick look at Shell's website and read that this fuel uses a 5% mix of ethanol.

Does anyone know anything about this re: suitability for our cars? Is this fuel available in other states and has anyone tried it? Does it have performance advantages?

The ethanol thing scares me somewhat...so I am interested in others' comments.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the same stuff the United servo's are selling down here in melb. I know they have a mix of ethanol.

Rob...

  • TEAM BA
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: North of The Bridge
Posted

anybody remember the ethanol debacle a few years ago? private servos were adding upto 10% ethanol to the petrol and all the experts and petrol companies came out saying that its dangerouse and you should use quality fuel in your car ect ect, now the major chains are advertising that its a benefit to have ethanol in your fuel??

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mildura
Posted

I know on a current affair and shows liek that, they kicked up a stink about how bad ethanol is to our cars. but isnt a slight say 5% ethanol mix make more power??

there was a thread on this sumwhere not that long ago saying how ethanol mixes are better for tuned cars.

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I'll give it a go when I come across it.

  • THE Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted
I know on a current affair and shows liek that, they kicked up a stink about how bad ethanol is to our cars. but isnt a slight say 5% ethanol mix make more power??

there was a thread on this sumwhere not that long ago saying how ethanol mixes are better for tuned cars.

Ethanol is used all through Europe without a problem, it is basically alcohol so it is going to help in combustion.

Chooka

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 12d
  • Location: Brooklyn
Posted
I know on a current affair and shows liek that, they kicked up a stink about how bad ethanol is to our cars. but isnt a slight say 5% ethanol mix make more power??

there was a thread on this sumwhere not that long ago saying how ethanol mixes are better for tuned cars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ethanol is used all through Europe without a problem, it is basically alcohol so it is going to help in combustion.

Ethonal in the right mix will be perfectly fine for your T.The trick is to not let it sit in your tank for a extended period of time as turns to gum.This is what happened when they first bought it out but servos where selling up to 15% mix which caused all the problem.

Get behind the sugar farmers mate and support our own country.We need all the help we can get at present.

Guest FatBAt
  • Guests
Posted

Ethanol is used all through Europe without a problem, it is basically alcohol so it is going to help in combustion.

Chooka

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember reading somewhere that ethanol can deteriorate seals. I know it attracts water at a much higher rate than standard fuel. By that I mean non blended. That is why before storing a boat, you have to drain the carbies if your running an ethanol blend to inhibit corrosion.

A mix of 5% is not going to make any (noticable) difference in performance. Maybe a micron of a poofteenth on a dyno but no way could you feel it in yer seat.

However it will make an enormous difference in the reduction of air pollution.

Hang on a minute......as if any one of us is concerned about air pollution for the simple fact that we are happy if we get 12lt / 100klm. :spoton:

Cheers

  • Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Shire, Middle Earth
Posted
I'll give it a go when I come across it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... and what exactly has your love life got to do with this? :msm:

:spoton:

  • Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 15d
  • Location: D SHIRE!
Posted

Just seen the 100 optimax at Gymea shell,has anyone like Choice or NRMA tested all the 98 ron fuels to see which one out performs the other?

CYA JEFF :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...