Jump to content

cjm

Member
  • Posts

    24
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by cjm

  1. Thanks for the replies. Yes it was a loose wire/connection! Omg. I couldn't believe it. Now it sounds very very good. Thanks again.
  2. It's the genuine ipod connection. Other car systems with genuine ipod connections that I've listened to sound better to me than my FG. Was just wondering if anyone else has found a big difference between CD sound and ipod sound.
  3. Was wondering if it's possible to improve the quality of sound coming from an ipod in an FG ("premium" system). My CDs sound great but the ipod.. well... let's say I'm not happy with the SQ. For a bit of background here, I've upgraded the sound system (speakers/sub/amps). Am I forever destined to substandard sound from the ipod (due to the stock unit) and have to use CDs? I much prefer ipod playlists etc. I also ask this question because ipods sound much better in other cars I've listened to. PS Higher bitrate songs in lossless still don't sound anywhere near as good to me as the CDs. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  4. Was flicking through the "Motion" Ford magazine and noticed an Ipod or MP3 audio input 'accessory' from Ford in the "Personalise Your Ford" section. RRP is $146. The picture shows a hand holding an Ipod but not the actual input. Was wondering if anyone knew about this accessory from Ford. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  5. I use Autoglym sealant (about $30 a bottle). Leave on for an hour and when dry rub off with soft cloth. Absolutely perfect (but admittedly it's a bit of work, not particularly easy to rub off like other polishes/waxes). Lasts about 5-6 months. A few friends have been ripped off with $1000 paint protection when they've bought new cars and after one year there's none left on the paint - dry as a bone. Also, you have to use their car wash products. If there really is a paint protection product that lasts for 5 years I'd like to know about it!
  6. Thanks for the feedback! I've picked it up and it seems great. Not bad grunt too. It's just going to be my second car, something I can use without worrying too much (the XR6 T is for that purpose for me) so it fits the bill. Interestingly, they actually tried to sell me paint protection (it's a cab chassis with alloy tray!) but they got my standard response - "No thanks".
  7. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll leave the oil in for now (it cost me enough) and think about what I'll use next time (maybe the 10 - 30/40?). However, someone once told me that you shouldn't keep changing the type of oil so now that 5-30 is in it I should continue this viscosity). Honestly, I think I need a degree in chemistry or mechanical engineering to understand all this oil controversy. If Ford recommended a fully synthetic oil, say 0-40 from the start, then there wouldn't be so much confusion (for me anyway!)
  8. Does anyone have any experiences (both good or bad) with the Hilux utes? I still have my beloved XR6T but need a ute that I don't have to worry about. Any thoughts? I've ordered a V6 4 litre SR c/chas.
  9. Last week I took my car to my regular Ford dealer for an oil & oil filter change ( I do this every 5,000km). When I questioned the bill ($210 - heaps more than I've paid before) they said that since the car's done 30,000km, they used a Castrol fully synthetic oil, 5 - 40/50? and that it was better than the semi-synthetic oil they've used previously (15-40 Castrol). I was a bit concerned because they wouldn't have told me if I didn't question the bill. I told them that the Ford manual states that 15-40 is recommended but the service guy said no, I should be using the fully synthetic one. I said okay, I don't want to tell you how to do your job and he then charged me $148 (which would have been the cost for the 15-40 oil) so I thought that was okay and I left. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm worrying. Do you think the oil is too thin? Should I take the car back and ask to get the oil changed back to what they were always using? Any thoughts?
  10. I am now well and truly confused. The other day I took my car to a Ford dealer for an oil and oil filter change (done every 5000km). They told me they used a fully synthetic 5 - 40/50 (not sure) Castrol oil. I questioned them about this cos before they were using the semi-synthetic 15-40 Castrol. Reply was that my car's done 30000km so now I should be using a fully synthetic 5-50 oil. The Ford book says 15-40, they're telling me something else. What's correct?
  11. I noticed the same thing too. Gee whiz it looks el cheapo - does anyone know if it's worth asking the service dept to change the plastic trim or will it be deemed 'acceptable'? Thanks.
  12. "Which service department is this pal"' Dale Ford, Greenacre, Hume Hwy. 30K service cost me $281 (including handbrake adjustment). I've always found them to be courteous and I like their driveway service (as opposed to lining up). You wait in your car and the service dept guy comes to you. Then you can watch them work on your car from the waiting room. Can't compare them to any other Ford service depts in Sydney... don't know if there are any cheaper ones (?)
  13. I've tried a few brands of waxes / polishes over the years but the one that's really impressed me is AUTOGLYM. The Meguires stuff is okay but doesn't last long enough for me. I used Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and cannot believe the finish on my car. It's not a polish, it's a semi-permanent sealant and is not abrasive. Looks very much like the 'paint protection' stuff they try to flog off at the dealers but only cost me $30. IMHO this product is UNREAL. Your paint has to be in top condition for the sealant to look its best though so you might have to polish your car first. A while ago I used Autoglym Super Resin Polish which also lasted a long time on my T. The downside though is the Extra Gloss Protection is nowhere near as easy to buff off as the Meguires products. And on a black car you're really going to have to buff off well (BTW mine's Mercury Silver). Can't compare to Zaino cos I haven't used these products but I've read they're great too. Good luck!
  14. The 30K service was done on my T last week and it was reflashed. Must say that my car feels SO much better. It's like it's been given a new lease of life over 3000 revs. I was very surprised as I had read lots of reflash stories and wasn't sure how my car would go ... but all is well. Don't know if any help to you but the service dept guy told me a new reflash program is coming soon for auto transmissions which take a long time to engage reverse. Oh, and the handbrake was adjusted, and you probably already know you have to pay extra for that.
  15. cjm

    Boxter Porsches

    The Boxster S is one very nice vehicle. Last year I had an S for a couple of days and I must say that I loved it. The sound of the motor behind my ears, the brakes, the steering, the agile handling and the athletic performance (0 - 100 in under 6), really made me appreciate this car. Then there was the cool electric operating top, the awesome 6 speed manual, the gorgeous looks of the car (subjective, I know but my opinion) and ... But then I needed a reality check cos I couldn't afford to buy it. But if I could, I would, full stop. A 'girlie' car? Not a chance guys! My husband didn't think so either!
  16. Hi everyone, I've seen a poster advertising Shell Optimax 100 octane fuel on Cowpasture Rd, Bonnyrigg Heights, Sydney. I usually use Vortex 98 or Bp Ultimate but I had a quick look at Shell's website and read that this fuel uses a 5% mix of ethanol. Does anyone know anything about this re: suitability for our cars? Is this fuel available in other states and has anyone tried it? Does it have performance advantages? The ethanol thing scares me somewhat...so I am interested in others' comments. Thanks in advance!
  17. Has anyone tried any of the Autoglym polishes? Don't know too much about them but a few months ago I had my car polished by a car wash place with the Autoglym polish - must say, the finish on my HgAg was great and lasted much longer than any of the Meguires products. I've seen an Autoglym sealant for sale and was wondering if anyone has used it? Thanks in advance.
  18. cjm

    Chics In T's

    QUOTE: "So how many chics have actually posted? 2 Shazzy and Kittykat ?" And now there's me too! I have a Merc. Silver T, 04 model, premium sound, leather & stock for now. No problems at all - except for splitting Dunlops. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and I've learned so much about our cars. But, I'm not solely Ford biased. I like other performance cars too! If only I could have a 10 car garage and win Lotto! Top of my list, after the T of course, would be a Carrera. I had the pleasure of driving a Boxster S 6 speed manual for a couple of days and totally fell in love with it so I reckon a Carrera would be even better. But have to say, KittyKat's garage is pretty cool!
  19. cjm

    Lets Make Me Welcome!

    QUOTE: "So that brings the grand total up to 2 with a few debatable ones. sh*t they are taking over" There's more of us on here than you think! PS Totally agree about Shazza's work here ... fantastic!!!
  20. cjm

    Joke Of The Day

    I'm not sure if I've done the attachment properly but here goes... we gals at work had the biggest laugh when we first saw it... Hope it works. After4Be_1_.doc
  21. Yes me! It's great to see there are other females here too! I've had a passion for performance cars for as long as I can remember - I love my XR6T and I really enjoy reading the posts here.
  22. Sydney. Thanks. I'll definitely take your advice if I have any more probs.
  23. Sorry, don't know if anyone's mentioned this before about a body flex/weak weld point problem. A mate who's recently bought a Mk 2 XR noticed a 'knocking' type sound (rear, driver's side, especially when going over a speed hump or turning). The service dept guy told him that there might be a recall cos a weld point is weak in the rear (something about three weld points but one wasn't done???) and apparently a batch of BAs have this problem? Does this sound right? He's having the welding done this week. I think I can also hear a knocking sound in my T too! (I've got a series 1) PS thanks for everyone's advice and helpful (and entertaining posts). PSS - Thanks for the Dunlop saga information too - I just hope I don't need any more warranty claims cos my Ford dealer doesn't want to know).
  24. A few days ago I noticed splits across the tread of my rear tyre. As page 24 of our warranty booklet clearly states that tyres are covered by Ford warranty I thought I'd have no problems - my Ford service dept would change it for me (since it's a defective item). Well, surprise, surprise, they didn't want to know and told me to take it to a Dunlop tyre place and I'd have to pay pro-rata for my tyre wear. Not particularly happy with this response I phoned the Ford Customer Enquiries and they also told me to take it to a Dunlop dealer. When I asked the chap to clarify the page 24 information he told me that since the tyre did not have the problem when I bought the car I'd have to pay for the wear. I took it it to my local Beaurepaires and since the tyre only had minimal wear I didn't have to pay - but if I had a little bit more wear I would have! My problem is what if another tyre develops splits? Do I have to pay for wear when the darn thing is a defective item and should be replaced by Ford? I have an extended six year warranty on my car and the argument the Ford Customer care guy used about the problem not being present from new is a bit of a concern for me!
×
×
  • Create New...