F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 24d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 08/11/05 06:22 AM Author Posted 08/11/05 06:22 AM Yeah, I'm getting confused now!! I understand that in factory maps the knock sensors are enabled. I also understand that they will remain enabled unless specifically turned off by a tuner.What I don't understand fully is whether Nick has had them enabled/disabled for whatever reason with his tunes.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>only nick can answer that<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simon ( F6 ), are the knock sensors enabled in the tunes you have given me?I have logged it several times and when it pinged ( small amount ), I have not seen the pcm rip out any timing at all?? How does the pcm decide how much timing to pull out?
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 9d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 08/11/05 06:30 AM Posted 08/11/05 06:30 AM pm'd you for your email adress last time we had the knock discussion but it did not work hence why I asked gerry and that's when he was talking to daniel etc and said he was not happy with the operation as such had not activated it but you say he was talking about the deisel????If you had really listened to the conversation Nick you would have heard from Jerry that the knock sensors are not enabled in the F150 LIGHTNING truck because the sensor cannot 'hear' the front cylinder over the noise of the supercharger. This of course is not the case for the XR6T, and neither Jerry nor anyone at SCT makes changes to the stock file that is loaded in the database. I hope that clears it upscreen shot from lap top for you!Note that in your screenshot Nick the value in knock sensor disable switch is bright ORANGE? That means it has in fact been changed to a GREATER number than the one that exists in the factory program. If that file was indeed stock as you claim (if that's the point you are trying to get across here) then the value would be displayed with a white background as are all the other values. This ORANGE label indicates that you have intentionally changed this value to disable the knock sensors. In addition your screenshot also has the info box covering the number_of_knock_sensors value which is set to 1 (that's how many they have!) from the factory.So, what point are you trying to get across here? as to the orange flag yes iturned it to orange and pop comes the info box!read the info box this is what I'm talking about!!! anyway barry was able to load his version 2.8.1.4 and it works in most instances now and all if I want to only use knock_gains on 4 cylinders only!!! this is code specific though so now I look at the code for the knock table functions before I create new ones!nick... what your saying is that as soon as you click on that function the dialog box (in the picture) pops up?? meaning it doesnt give a cahnce to change anything as the dialog box pops up immediately?
Xtreme F6 Team Xtreme Legacy Donating Member 1,680 Member For: 21y 8m 1d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 08/11/05 06:35 AM Posted 08/11/05 06:35 AM So guys from what you are saying is that a XR6T should not ping when tuned by the Edit?Well of course it can ping depending on tuner, the knock sensor isnt there to think for tuners its there to try and help stop minor detonation , it doesnt hold timing out indefinatly. We have had control over how much ect come out for as long as I can remember.Hi,Just a question... from a tune that you have done via edit... have you ever had a car ping?? if so is it with the knock sensor enabled??whether it be a Mailbag tune or otherwise?most definalty they can ping and yes I have had them ping, I have never disabled knock sensors. I have had some ping yes. A knock sensor wont fix a tune that pings, it will remove and replace the timing again.
Xtreme F6 Team Xtreme Legacy Donating Member 1,680 Member For: 21y 8m 1d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 08/11/05 06:38 AM Posted 08/11/05 06:38 AM Yeah, I'm getting confused now!! I understand that in factory maps the knock sensors are enabled. I also understand that they will remain enabled unless specifically turned off by a tuner.What I don't understand fully is whether Nick has had them enabled/disabled for whatever reason with his tunes.only nick can answer thatSimon ( F6 ), are the knock sensors enabled in the tunes you have given me?I have logged it several times and when it pinged ( small amount ), I have not seen the pcm rip out any timing at all?? How does the pcm decide how much timing to pull out?I have never turned a pcm knock sensor off, I have changed them from pulling out 8 degrees to only 3 depending on engines, You wouldnt know if the knock sensor is removing timing just by logging it as you have no way of actually calculating the comanded timing without having the tune in front of you, It will detect detonation before you can hear it, it might just not be pulling out enough if you have audible detonation.
Street Tuner Member 727 Member For: 23y 9m 16d Posted 08/11/05 06:39 AM Posted 08/11/05 06:39 AM nick... what your saying is that as soon as you click on that function the dialog box (in the picture) pops up?? meaning it doesnt give a cahnce to change anything as the dialog box pops up immediately?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>That help screen is only generated if you press the F1 key and can be closed like any other pop-up. The knock sensor switch can be changed any time you want.
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 9d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 08/11/05 06:43 AM Posted 08/11/05 06:43 AM nick... what your saying is that as soon as you click on that function the dialog box (in the picture) pops up?? meaning it doesnt give a cahnce to change anything as the dialog box pops up immediately?That help screen is only generated if you press the F1 key and can be closed like any other pop-up. The knock sensor switch can be changed any time you want.hmmmm.... get yourself a mouse nick... your fingers are too fat if they hit the F1 key while using your keyboard!!!
Nizpro Member 89 Member For: 20y 11m 3d Gender: Male Posted 08/11/05 06:56 AM Posted 08/11/05 06:56 AM We do not sell mail out tunes for that very reason. And yes I can recall one car that did ping on two occasion first full throttle run when cold. We did have to re look at some of the ignition air temp compensation tables as these seem to vary a little depending on processor codes. Ford do have fairly aggressive advance tables for air charge temp. This is properly due to the fact that cold charge temp if fairly hard to achieve with the std intercooler so the mapping down at these temps is a little happy. The other issue is that their advance curve for lambda mixture is also aggressive so when full throttle is applied when the engine is cold and you are still on fuel enrichment for water temp plus the air temp is also cold as this is the first power run being applied, total spark advance is many degrees higher than you would normally see.
Chooka THE Member Legacy Donating Member 1,210 Member For: 21y 3m 5d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 08/11/05 06:56 AM Posted 08/11/05 06:56 AM most definalty they can ping and yes I have had them ping, I have never disabled knock sensors. I have had some ping yes. A knock sensor wont fix a tune that pings, it will remove and replace the timing again.Extreme,my understanding is that the Knock sensor is basically a safety mechanism to save the motor from damage in the event of poor fuel and or atmospheric changes etc that can slightly adjust the tune? ie pinging.Correct me if I am wrong?!?!Chooka
Xtreme F6 Team Xtreme Legacy Donating Member 1,680 Member For: 21y 8m 1d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 08/11/05 07:25 AM Posted 08/11/05 07:25 AM most definalty they can ping and yes I have had them ping, I have never disabled knock sensors. I have had some ping yes. A knock sensor wont fix a tune that pings, it will remove and replace the timing again.Extreme,my understanding is that the Knock sensor is basically a safety mechanism to save the motor from damage in the event of poor fuel and or atmospheric changes etc that can slightly adjust the tune? ie pinging.Correct me if I am wrong?!?!Chookayour not wrong but I will say this, It doesnt take that timing out and say hey that was bad we wont ever do that again... It removes what its set to then the engine goes back to its desired timing again, if it knocks it removes timing, not permantly.
Dannopower Legacy Donating Member 421 Member For: 21y 4m 4d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 08/11/05 07:28 AM Posted 08/11/05 07:28 AM So effectively a very short term immediate fix to a big problem!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now