Damaged Rim And Wrecked Two Tyres Due To Pothole

xr6t83

• Member For: 19y 4m 14d

Hi everyone,

just a quick question, I was recently driving on a road observing the 60klm speed limit when I drove through a small pothole. Result of that, one damaged back rim with a chunk missing about the size of a 20 cent coin, the impact tore a gash in the back wheel and caused a stress/Blister on the front tyre.

I have obtained 3 reports from Tyre Dealers all stating that the rim at most could possibly be used as a spare wheel, and I have to replace the other two tyres.

I have taken photos of both car and the suspect hole! so hopefully the hole doesnt get repaired before I get a check out of them

quotes have come in at approx $1,200 mark, I was running stock 17's with sp3000's.

Any info on past experiences dealing with counclil or Vicraods would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance mark

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 17d

Unfortunately there is no recourse available by law. They will just say that the driver must drive to the prevailing road conditions. Even if the pothole is full of water after rain and you can't see it you still have no action. It sucks I know!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 4d

MOTOR had this happen to them on a test drive, and got the RTA to pay.. not sure if it was in vic but they paid for a 19" rim off a monaro!

shows it can be done.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 13d

You need to find out who is responsable for the road. Sometimes its the local council and othertimes its the local road authority (RTA,TAC,Etc.)

Give them a picture of the pothole, damage and costs and a letter of demand. If you are with the NRMA they can help you with advice from the legal department on how to write a letter of demand.

Do not be emotional, use facts and state that you hold them accountable for not maintaining the road.

I know a couple of people who have just been piad after the council got the demand. For $1200 its easier for them to write a cheque than take it to court.

Its worth a try., most people just pay it, this is what the councils hope.

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 17d
MOTOR had this happen to them on a test drive, and got the RTA to pay.. not sure if it was in vic but they paid for a 19" rim off a monaro!

shows it can be done.

The said the RTA would be hearing from them. Don't know if they paid up or not.

I think you need to take a photo of the pothole, and give details such as date/time/direction/etc. I bent my 19's so many times, they are almost square.

• Member For: 19y 2m 4d
Unfortunately there is no recourse available by law. They will just say that the driver must drive to the prevailing road conditions. Even if the pothole is full of water after rain and you can't see it you still have no action. It sucks I know!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

unless you can prove that the council had been informed about the said pothole.Then and only then do u have a chance. Let your insurer sort it out.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 24d
I was recently driving on a road observing the 60klm speed limit when I drove through a small pothole. Result of that, one damaged back rim with a chunk missing about the size of a 20 cent coin, the impact tore a gash in the back wheel and caused a stress/Blister on the front tyre.

I was running stock 17's with sp3000's.

Holy crap, to do that sort of damage to 17" rims your idea of a 'small' pothole and mine must differ somewhat!! :sick:

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you manage to get some compensation from somebody. Like the others, I'd be interested to know how you go. Good luck! :useless:

• Member For: 20y 8m 7d

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

unless you can prove that the council had been informed about the said pothole.Then and only then do u have a chance. Let your insurer sort it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BINGO! This is the correct advice. If they have been notified of it and nothing has been done, then they are liable. If you are the first person to notify them of it, then their only responsiblity is to make sure it doesn't happen to another person.

This happened to me on Narre Warren - Cranbourne Road, two tyres stuffed. $800.00 worth. My old man works for the local council and their response was exactly as above.