Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m 1d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Sorry if this has been done to death before, but I thought it was a good time to ask as I have seen a fair few of you saying that you have fitted shiftkits in the "how much $$ for rwkw?" thread.

So, what are they like? Any problems you've encountered? How firm a shift is 'firm'? I've been told it's firm enough to be thoroughly unpleasant during stop start city driving (I know you can switch them off for those situations)?

And how many are getting substantially more power (be it through Edit, Xede, APS, etc) and using the shiftkit as the only mod to their autos? I'm keen on one of these but just wanna find out a bit more from those who have experienced them. I'm particularly keen to know if they lower 'box temperatures enough to warrant not having to fit a tranny cooler (assuming you've got one of the aforementioned power mods) until further down the track? :spoton:

  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jteale
  • Guests
Posted
Sorry if this has been done to death before, but I thought it was a good time to ask as I have seen a fair few of you saying that you have fitted shiftkits in the "how much $$ for rwkw?" thread.

So, what are they like?  Any problems you've encountered?  How firm a shift is 'firm'?  I've been told it's firm enough to be thoroughly unpleasant during stop start city driving (I know you can switch them off for those situations)?

And how many are getting substantially more power (be it through Edit, Xede, APS, etc) and using the shiftkit as the only mod to their autos?  I'm keen on one of these but just wanna find out a bit more from those who have experienced them.  I'm particularly keen to know if they lower 'box temperatures enough to warrant not having to fit a tranny cooler (assuming you've got one of the aforementioned power mods) until further down the track?  :fool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got the shiftkit on two weeks ago, when going to 262rwkw and the shifts are VERY firm (as in uncomfortable at times). I normally leave it off until required (like a HSV next door) ... but they are a good start ... cooler is next ... but I am pretty easy on my car, I'd like it to last :spoton:

For the money they are a good investment on a non-modified Auto ... :spoton:

Cheers, Jason.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m 1d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Yup, mine's stock at the moment and, like you, I'm fairly gentle on the car. Shiftkit say these things increase the longevity of your auto, but I'm a little worried by them still. I understand how they reduce heat build up (by reducing slippage), but on the other side of the coin, don't these really firm shifts put an enormous additional strain on the rest of the drivetrain? Sounds a bit like just side-stepping your clutch in a manual to me - how strong are the bands in a stock auto?!

Umm, and my other question (purely from an interest point of view, of course!), if you switch traction control off, do these firm shifts result in loss of traction between gears? :spoton:

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle NSW
Posted
Sorry if this has been done to death before, but I thought it was a good time to ask as I have seen a fair few of you saying that you have fitted shiftkits in the "how much $$ for rwkw?" thread.

So, what are they like?  Any problems you've encountered?  How firm a shift is 'firm'?  I've been told it's firm enough to be thoroughly unpleasant during stop start city driving (I know you can switch them off for those situations)?

And how many are getting substantially more power (be it through Edit, Xede, APS, etc) and using the shiftkit as the only mod to their autos?  I'm keen on one of these but just wanna find out a bit more from those who have experienced them.  I'm particularly keen to know if they lower 'box temperatures enough to warrant not having to fit a tranny cooler (assuming you've got one of the aforementioned power mods) until further down the track?  :fool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got the shiftkit on two weeks ago, when going to 262rwkw and the shifts are VERY firm (as in uncomfortable at times). I normally leave it off until required (like a HSV next door) ... but they are a good start ... cooler is next ... but I am pretty easy on my car, I'd like it to last :spoton:

For the money they are a good investment on a non-modified Auto ... :spoton:

Cheers, Jason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im with you Jason,

there are times when it is too firm, stop start it is a pain, so switch it off, also in the wet, even on light throttle, the rear end comes around 1st-2nd gear, bear in mind 290 rwkw.

I leave mine on for 99% of my driving, I live out of town and only see tow traffic light a day, some times less, so I dont mind, when wife drives or I have customers in the ute, I turn it off so it doesnt feel too harsh.

Im used to it and would not be without it now.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 22d
  • Location: S/W Sydney
Posted

When first fitted I was at a point where I was turning it on and off depending on what map I was running or driving conditions. Nowadays it stays on 24/7 as I am no longer used to the slushy feel of the standard change. I dunno if its just me but it seems to respond to the load on the engine ie- even in heavy stop start traffic I can hardly notice the changes now, but with a decent bootful you can notice the firm changes get firmer?? Perhaps I am just desensitised a bit. Box still holding together fine with 290rwk and no other auto mods as yet.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m 1d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
Box still holding together fine with 290rwk and no other auto mods as yet.

Now that's what I wanna hear!! :spoton:

How long have you been running with that kind of power for?

Guest jteale
  • Guests
Posted
Umm, and my other question (purely from an interest point of view, of course!), if you switch traction control off, do these firm shifts result in loss of traction between gears?  :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For your interest :spoton:, I get alot more loss of traction even with TC on (since getting to 260+rwkw), turn it off and bye bye tyres generally ... I am not hard on my car and am not too power hungry .. but generally I drive in Sydney Traffic in peak hours and only really got the kit installed for when I want to be hard on it ... leave that to your imagination :fool:

Where are those LS2's .... :nono:

Cheers, Jason

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 22d
  • Location: S/W Sydney
Posted
Box still holding together fine with 290rwk and no other auto mods as yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that's what I wanna hear!! :spoton:

How long have you been running with that kind of power for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Up until a month ago was at 280, and for the last month 290.. So 4 months and seems fine. Have heard of people with a lot less have problems though, could just be lucky or driving style but have had a couple of trips to wsid also. After I get a new intercooler will probably look at strengthening as should be over 300rwkw and cant see it coping with that much punishment for extended periods of time..

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 22d
  • Location: S/W Sydney
Posted
Umm, and my other question (purely from an interest point of view, of course!), if you switch traction control off, do these firm shifts result in loss of traction between gears?  :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For your interest :spoton:, I get alot more loss of traction even with TC on (since getting to 260+rwkw), turn it off and bye bye tyres generally ... I am not hard on my car and am not too power hungry .. but generally I drive in Sydney Traffic in peak hours and only really got the kit installed for when I want to be hard on it ... leave that to your imagination :fool:

Where are those LS2's .... :nono:

Cheers, Jason

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same symptoms for me, traction control cant cope very well at all.. Dunno if its just my car but anyone else get backfiring when giving it a bootful with tc still active ?

  • Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 12d
  • Location: D SHIRE!
Posted

Will the shiftkit churp the wheels on gear changers in a STOCK car?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...