Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 9d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on what is the quickest way from Canberra to the GC, I drive to Rockhampton via the Newell to Goondiwindi and then continue up through Miles, Moonie etc every year but this trip I am only going to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

SWMBO is nagging me to travel up the Pacific Hwy for a change but being School Holidays that road will be full of Caravans and tourists whereas the Newell mainly has trucks. (I know which one I would rather share the road with)

We are leaving for QLD at 3am on the 4th of July and heading home on the 14th, So if you Banana Benders see the black beast cruising around give me a wave.

Thanks, Bazza.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 2m 11d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

We travelled up the Pacific Hwy this month for the Winternationals. From Campbelltown to Willowbank (a couple of hours past the Gold Coast) took us only 12.5 hours in a MR truck. A lot of the old sections have been bypassed lately (Buladelah, Karuah, and between Ballina and QLD border). We used to use the New England Hwy but now the Pacific is a better run. :spoton:

  • Phantom lives
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: who knows
Posted

the quickest will be the Newell by 1-2 hours without traffic if the c'vans are on the road it would be 3-4 hours quicker and its a safer road to travel....

jeff

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
<_< Yup, Newell is quickest, but quite boring. Pacific Hwy has more to see but is slower and more dangerous. But I have to admit that it's been years since I've done the two. :k24t:
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South Coast NSW
Posted

The Pacific is the quickest. I have done the run a couple of times in the past couple of years and it is definitely quicker than any of the inland routes. If you were going further north in Qld it would be a different story.

I'm actually heading that way myself - the day before you, but I have to go via Nyngan otherwise I'd be heading up the coast. Definitely coming back the coast way though 'cos Lumpy has a cold one waiting for me. YOU HAVE GOT A COLD ONE WAITING FOR ME HAVEN'T YOU LUMPY?

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 2d
Posted

Have a look at the travel planner on the RACQ website. Times are pretty conservative but a good indication. You can look at different routes by adding that you want to travel through certain towns.

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

If it is school holidays, steer clear of the Pacific.

I have mainly done the New England as there are very few cops and only trucks to deal with.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 2d
  • Location: The North Cooma End of Canberra...
Posted

I've driven along the pacific during school hols, I just took it easy and remebered that 5 minutes saved isn't going to make a difference over the 12+ hours of driving... (from CBR)

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 16d
Posted

I did the trip (Canberra to Gold Coast) last school holidays - went the coast route because we had to vist family on the central coast. Had no hassles and enjoyed the run. The highway isnt perfect but they have improved it heaps over the last ten years.

Motels at Nambucca (on the way up) and Port Macquarie (on the way home) were cheap & easy to book. :spoton:

  • Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Bogan Shire
Posted
The Pacific is the quickest. I have done the run a couple of times in the past couple of years and it is definitely quicker than any of the inland routes. If you were going further north in Qld it would be a different story.

I'm actually heading that way myself - the day before you, but I have to go via Nyngan otherwise I'd be heading up the coast. Definitely coming back the coast way though 'cos Lumpy has a cold one waiting for me. YOU HAVE GOT A COLD ONE WAITING FOR ME HAVEN'T YOU LUMPY?

I do???

*cough*

Oh yes...I mean I DO!

By the way...when you heading through Jeff??? :spoton:

Lumpy :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...