Guest Xr6Tas Guests Posted 22/04/03 02:24 PM Posted 22/04/03 02:24 PM Unfortunately due to a smart arse intimidating Late model camira driver my fiancé was forced into the kerb yesterday. An SS driving dickhead thought it would be funny to play games with her by drifting over to her side of the road while hurtling towards her at high speed. The mentality of some drivers will never cease to amaze me (please note that I am not suggesting all SS drivers are dickheads. Just this particular one!). When she swerved to avoid him she was forced to clip the gutter with the back left wheel. As a result it took a big gouge out of the alloy (see pictures below).I know nothing about alloy wheels, so I'm hoping you guys will go easy on me and help me out with a few questions:Is there any way to repair an alloy wheel that has minor damage? Or is there nothing that can be done about it?Due to the gouges put into the alloy, would this have weakened its overall strength? Should I have this looked at to make sure it's still safe to drive on?Luckily we optioned a spare 18" alloy when we bought the car, so I have swapped over to that wheel. There is only 1000ks on the other tyres so I take it having slightly uneven wear wont be an issue? And the main thing I want to know is: is there any harm keeping this spare alloy on permanently, and keeping the damaged alloy as the spare wheel?Sorry for all the questions. I realise they probably come across as a bit stupid but this is something I know nothing about so want to know my best options before cashing out any money on either repair or a new alloy.Thanks for your help guys. Pictures of damage are below.
Guest Xr6Tas Guests Posted 22/04/03 02:29 PM Posted 22/04/03 02:29 PM This one is a bit blurry, but shows how deep one of the gouges is.
mickq Member 740 Member For: 23y 5m 19d Posted 22/04/03 02:47 PM Posted 22/04/03 02:47 PM Doesnt look like a big drama to me as it doesnt look like a massive impact. Most I would worry about is a wheel balance and alignment, unless you do lots of 200kmh+ speeds where you might be more wary. I would run past a Bob Jane or similar and have a chat to their guys....if they are any good they will give a real assessment, not a: its stuffed but gee whiz we happen to sell replacements!If you are in Melb, I suggest the one on Malvern Rd/Commercial road in Prahran right near Chapel St. They can do the balancing, and also tell you right away if its likely done real damage to the mag. I have found them to be open and honest.PS, I too have found many Late model camira drivers (Particularly SS and HSV) to be wankers when they see a fast ford. Nothing really agressive, but they do tend to be less courteous, ensure they dont let me in and block intersections etc.Funny how their feeling threatened by an XR6T (fast, looks better, sounds better, draws more looks etc etc) effects their confidence and makes them aggressive! What a pack of losers. No longer feeling top of the locally-made car list it would seem...
Mondie Firm Member Legacy Donating Member 2,924 Member For: 23y 11m 10d Location: Adelaide Hills Posted 22/04/03 11:06 PM Posted 22/04/03 11:06 PM that's one of the most stupid things l have heard lately.l hope your wife is ok; did she manage to get the losers rego number?l cant offer much advice on the wheel front. You could send Mr Plow a PM or email as he works in a wheel place and would be able to give you some ideas on the wheel as far as repair. Might be just as easy to put it in the boot as the spare and be glad you took Ford up on the spare alloy.l thought Tassie was a laid back, friendly kind of place. May have to cancel that holiday now
Lightning Member 335 Member For: 23y 8m 26d Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 22/04/03 11:26 PM Posted 22/04/03 11:26 PM Hi,I've done a similar thing (the 'gouges', not the intimidation, I hasten toa dd). While it's depressing (especially when you cause it yourself, as I did), there's no real damage done.I think you've done the correct thing in migrating to the spare, but this is more for aesthetic reasons that structural ones.Simon....
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 24y 1d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 23/04/03 01:44 AM Posted 23/04/03 01:44 AM That totally sucks, its worse than jealous people badging a car because its better than theirs, as this put your wifes life in danger...I hope they pay for it one way or another..
Guest Mr Walker Guests Posted 23/04/03 02:14 AM Posted 23/04/03 02:14 AM XR6Tas,I'm sure you've had a look but as the SP 9000's are directional, make sure that the spare you have put on is rotating the right way, otherwise you'll have to get a tyre fitter to flip it over. That rim looks fine for a spare but I'm sure they can be welded and machined like new if you wish.
Guest BAnter Guests Posted 23/04/03 02:29 AM Posted 23/04/03 02:29 AM XR6TI'm not sure I agree with Mickg. Firstly, alloy wheels can be readily repaired these days, and returned to as new, or even better, condition. In fact its becoming quite common to need to have them repaired. As wheels get taller and wider, and tyre profiles become lower, wheels are sustaining more damage in normal driving or from kerbing.I recently had my VTII SS wheel repaired both for kerbing damage and because of a big buckle on the inside rim. I don't know when the buckle happened, but it was in normal driving - probably hit a a bad pothole. The Wheel Factory here in Canberra, who have an excellent reputation, said they like modern low profile tyres - gives them plenty of work! They do a lot of up-spec BMW and other Euro wheels - because the new price is so high, owners don't want to shell out for a replacement.It cost me $187 because it was 2 repairs and the wheel needed stripping and refinishing after the kerbing repair. The repairer will fully check the wheel and tell you if there are any other problems.Just ask your dealer who they use.
Guest Xr6Tas Guests Posted 23/04/03 03:33 AM Posted 23/04/03 03:33 AM Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful. Mondie: Rachael was unfortunately unable to get the rego number of the SS Driver. She was too busy battling to keep the car on the road at the time! Wish she had as my sister is a cop and would have loved to have paid him a visit.Mr Walker: First thing I did was check the direction of the spare and luckily it's rotating the right way.Banter: It’s good to know that I have the option of repairing the alloy. Hopefully there is someone in Hobart who can repair it relatively cheaply. On the other hand I may just leave the spare alloy on and resign the damaged wheel to the boot (after I get it balanced and checked to make sure its ok to use).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now