Mods To The Factory Bov

Guest xr6 turbo

Guest xr6 turbo
  • Guests

Sorry guys if this has been posted before but I couldn't find the information I require with the search. My question is, Has anyone modified their factory BOV and if so, how was it done? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob. :)

Guest xr6 turbo
  • Guests

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm wondering if it is possible to vent the excess, pressurized air into the atmosphere, rather than feed it back into the manifold. Basically, I want to make the factory BOV work similar to an aftermarket BOV and if anyone has done this mod, how did they achieve this.

Thanks

• Member For: 21y 1m 12d

Do these low pressured turbos really need all drama of making a BOV work to its maximum? I cant really feel any lag anyway, and since 6 psi is all it runs with a factory ECU why bother?

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 27d

Why draw attention to yourself? The cops love putting ricers with noisy BOVs off the road - it is illegal to vent the gas to the atmosphere - ooops there goes your insurance, including CTP - hope you are wealthy just in case you are unfortunate enough to take someone out ...

BTW - to answer the Q, yes someone here has done it and there was a thread on it some time ago ...

• Member For: 21y 6m 26d

each to their own...

I must admit though - on my XR6T I don't really want the psssssht sound.

My celica, on the other hand, is pretty far from subtle, and the venting BOV is exactly what I want... :)

• 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 1d

Rob

I don't think it's worth the drama of fiddling with the standard item, you can pick up heaps of different type's of BOV's for reasonable prices. In my opinion a GFB Hyrbid BOV would probably be best, they go for around $230 *I think* and they work by plumbing back a majority of the air back into the intake system, but venting some pressure to atmosphere, therefore getting a nice subtle sound, that's not overly loud. On the otherhand there are heaps of full atmosphere venting BOV available for good prices. As for them being illegal due to venting "gas", the only "gas" they vent is the same air that has been sucked through the air cleaner. Not fuel has been added at this point, so it's just plain air, so I see no reason why it would be illegal. However different states, different rules.

Anyways rob, good luck mate. Hope I've bene helpful

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 27d

Goose> You're right, but nonetheless they are illegal in NSW. I don't know for sure on the other states, but as most of the rules and regulations are now national I suspect they are illegal everywhere. The coppers around my way have a field day with the weekend tourists who come to town with their BOVs sneezing.