Redhawk ....Time to lay this fairytale aside...... Legacy Donating Member 2,657 Member For: 23y 6m 18d Gender: Male Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet! Posted 18/04/03 02:36 PM Posted 18/04/03 02:36 PM The premium sound is good enough for driving. When I seriously listen to my music at home (B&W's punch it out accurately ) it is usually after a couple of 'Feral Chooks' and Hahn Premiums and there is no way I want to get behind the wheel of me Bird then!!...... know what I mean :D :D
Guest BAnter Guests Posted 20/04/03 10:33 AM Posted 20/04/03 10:33 AM It really depends on what you are looking for, and whether you compare the sound system to what is standard or optional in Euro cars and some Jap cars.The Ford premium sound is a bit poor compared to the premium systems available in most Euros, or in some cases worse than their standard systems - and the Expensive Daewoo systems are even worse.The problem with the Ford is that, firstly, you cannot replace the head unit - an aftermarket one won't fit in the space, which is too shallow, let alone does not conform to DIN standard mounting sizes. So you are stuck with that unit, short of some very serious major changes to the console. For most people, that's probably not a huge problem, they just add a better amp using speaker outputs and replace the door speakers, perhaps add a better sub and amp. In the Ford premium system, the head unit is exactly the same as the standard one electronically, and there is an amp integral in the sub in the rear. The problem is for people who like high-quality sound - like most factory units, there are no pre-in or pre-out connections, but you can't swap head units either to start building a decent system.So to get decent sound and connect other inputs you need to purchase a good pre-amp, have it wired into the Ford unit, then run outputs to your amps/crossovers from the preamp receiving the head unit's speaker output. This is both expensive and still limited in quality by the lack of line level outputs from the head unit.Its a pity Ford have chosen to go down this path, as I am sure I'm not the only potential buyer put off by this limitation.
Guest rpmjunky Guests Posted 20/04/03 11:56 AM Posted 20/04/03 11:56 AM its not just ford going down this path a number of car makers are doing this. must think theres money in factory audio
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 18d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 20/04/03 10:17 PM Posted 20/04/03 10:17 PM its not just ford going down this path a number of car makers are doing this. must think theres money in factory audio Yes, haven't Toyota been doing this for years - I seem to remember the Taragos (for one) having a totally built in system - and this was several years back - don't see any less of them on the road because ppl can't put aftermarket sound in ...
oz_utester Member 50 Member For: 23y 6m 25d Location: Melbourne, Vic Posted 21/04/03 02:31 AM Posted 21/04/03 02:31 AM mums 94 vienta csi v6 camry has a single din stereo, so its easy to swap. mite be post 94 toyota they went built in
Guest octane Guests Posted 21/04/03 11:36 AM Posted 21/04/03 11:36 AM Just a thought...I havnt got my XR6T....waitin on the new job... :D but I was slightly put off by the stereo thing, but I figure if you wanted to invest the cash you could get the quality there (that bites on a $50K car I know) but if you get ya pre-amp...then whack in an 10-band EQ then you could probably get a more dynamic sound, and go from there with the usual, amps, upgrade speakers (splits) and subs....probably cost a bit...
XRCISM Member 126 Member For: 23y 6m 3d Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 22/04/03 12:45 AM Posted 22/04/03 12:45 AM I hate to say this (being an owner with premium sound) but I seriously believe I got better sound out of my EL Fairmont!! I had changed the standard cassette stereo to a Pioneer CD player and replaced the 2 rear speakers with a very nice pair of JBL's. That's it - jack $hit modifications ...... makes you wonder what you are paying the extra for now??? Saying that, I am sure it won't take much to get a similar quality with the premium sound system .... start by changing the speakers and go from there ........ I don't want to be shaking the car with the bass at the lights, but I did expect the same quality as a minimum with the premium upgrade :( Looks like it will need some tweaking from my end to get it sounding like what I am used to!!
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 13d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 22/04/03 01:46 AM Posted 22/04/03 01:46 AM You guys must be full on spoilt!!! Or I'm tone deaf, cuase I 'm happy with the standard sound! Must admit I did want the fancy premium screen, but really can't say I'm disappointed at all.
JUSTXR6T Member 10 Member For: 23y 5m 6d Location: Melbourne Posted 22/04/03 03:23 AM Posted 22/04/03 03:23 AM Ordered my XR6T on 19/03/2003Don't care about sound much as I am 1/2 deaf anyway
GOLDIE My new toy Legacy Donating Member 5,344 Member For: 23y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld. Posted 22/04/03 05:34 AM Posted 22/04/03 05:34 AM HI TO ALL My wife and I have a baxr6tubro sedan and was impressed with the standed system but this was not enough for us as we had upgraded our last car so we took the standed system with the car and started to upgrade from there. As stated before the head unit is not replacable so this is wired into our upgrade as the radio. The upgrade is full 5.1 surround sound with centre speaker above a/c vents,six inch clarion splits in both front doors and rear parcel shelf in origanal locations with new surrounds made to display speakers,one ten inch sub on rhr side of boot,two clarion amps run the system with surround sound control unit and crossovers all mounted above spare wheel recess to allow full use of the boot. One 6.5 inch fold away screen below a/c controls this also controls 6 disc cd stacker in boot,5.1 control panel also mounted above a/c vents contorls the sound system and 6 disc dvd stacker mounted in boot, system now really does sound like a home theartre. Also have a 5 inch screen in each head rest. ian and anita schmidt
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now