Guest Mal Guests Posted 29/03/05 09:32 PM Posted 29/03/05 09:32 PM (edited) Basically speaking,if I was to over-take,the situation comes about anywhere from the 120 to 140kph,gets a bit hairy not knowing where its gonna drift.I had the same situation occur fairly recently again but with no drift.I cant really explain!No signs of rain either!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>What were you overtaking? trucks? Sounds like air pressure to me.. Does it happen at those speeds when you're not overtaking anything? Edited 29/03/05 09:33 PM by Mal
Logsie Logsie Member 336 Member For: 21y 6m 17d Location: Queensland (Brisbane) Posted 29/03/05 09:42 PM Posted 29/03/05 09:42 PM :lol: This is some funny s**t
Macktheknife Xtreme Xalted Member Legacy Donating Member 3,112 Member For: 23y 4m 23d Gender: Male Location: BrisVegas Posted 29/03/05 09:59 PM Posted 29/03/05 09:59 PM Tempting....oh so tempting.....(temptation resisted dammit)However. I'm with the tramlining. Gotta be to do with the rubber whether its aligment, pressures, wear size or type or a combination.Has all the signs.
GMS144 Member 7 Member For: 21y 8m 4d Posted 29/03/05 10:46 PM Posted 29/03/05 10:46 PM Having taken delivery of an XR6T myself recently (last weekend.. sweeeeeet) I'm wondering if you have been driving another car with steering that is less direct???Having a 2000 Challenger 4x4 (4Sale if anyone's interested PM) the steering response is like chalk and cheese. I'm going from a tyre with about 150mm of sidewall, soft suspension to a low profile tyre and sportier suspension and as expected the steering feels like a go cart compared to the Challenger. I know that mrs speed limiter (Wife) also noticed the sudden change of direction compare with the normal ride.Hope this helps....????David
Lawsy Wanabe mechanical engineer Legacy Donating Member 960 Member For: 22y 12d Gender: Male Location: At the computer, obviously..... Posted 29/03/05 11:35 PM Posted 29/03/05 11:35 PM In the Ghia I was overtaking trucks at 170 (you know, to be sure everything is working etc...) on the way to Adelaide, and yes, it does get floaty. But, even though I was within cm of touching the dirt on the side of the road, I managed to keep it strait without any real hasle. If you are complaining that its getting floaty at about 140 with an XR6t, which is lower (and therefore must have a lower lift coefficient with less air travelling under the car), and with more rubber, then the car is a little big for you atm.... Get used to it.Find a track and practice keeping the thing strait at 150 plus.... Once you get above that, you best be concentrating because that's when the dynamics of the car changes. Also, 180 is where the fun starts .On that note, has anyone here wondered how much of an effect having an underbody tray with a tapered rear (as in, the rear of the undertray tapers up into the guard, which helps reduce lift) would have?It might be something worth taking a look at because Aerodynamics plays a fairly large role at speeds over 90km/h. After 90 it actually starts taking significant amounts of power to keep the car moving against the wind. I'm sure there is an equation for this.that's why your car is most efficient at 80 - 90 (check your trip computer next time at these speeds, you should be able to get about 7L/100km).Meh, anyways.... Its too early, my brain hasn't turned on yet (I'm on a uni holiday for the week; vice chancelors week) so this post most likely wont make any sense and will be rank with spelling and/or huge grammatical errors....
Trumpy What's happening? Legacy Donating Member 1,605 Member For: 23y 9m 25d Gender: Male Location: Steel City, NSW Posted 30/03/05 12:08 AM Posted 30/03/05 12:08 AM I reckon its a problem with the spacer between the drivers seat and the steering wheel.
RAPHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,776 Member For: 23y 3m 2d Posted 30/03/05 02:55 AM Posted 30/03/05 02:55 AM Loose steering rack??
Slymeat Team Kickass Legacy Donating Member 1,926 Member For: 22y 8m 1d Gender: Male Location: Albion Park, NSW Posted 30/03/05 03:25 AM Posted 30/03/05 03:25 AM Tramlining normaly pushes you in one direction, not several. Sounds like it could be air pressure with the limited description.
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 30/03/05 03:43 AM Posted 30/03/05 03:43 AM I'm with Trumpy - loose nut behind the wheel ...If a person can't tell the difference between drifting, tramlining, or wind buffeting he has a definite driving disability. Just hope he doesn't cross my path on the highway.
Guest FatBAt Guests Posted 30/03/05 04:57 AM Posted 30/03/05 04:57 AM I'm with Trumpy - loose nut behind the wheel ...If a person can't tell the difference between drifting, tramlining, or wind buffeting he has a definite driving disability. Just hope he doesn't cross my path on the highway.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Come on guys...cut the guy some slack. He obviously has asked a question he needs an answer to. I want to know why the bonnet was replaced. Who replaces a bonnet? I've had my bonnet for 2 years and there's nothing wrong with it. Couple of chips maybe.........but it still works.Was it a new car........has it been in a bingle and thrown something outta whack................Or maybe it is that loose nut.......
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now