rapt Legacy Donating Member 317 Member For: 22y 11m 20d Location: gippsland Posted 30/12/04 06:51 AM Posted 30/12/04 06:51 AM I need new front tyres as mine have scrubbed on the inside,17 inchThey are sava,Im not happy with them as they arnt too good in the wet. can anyone please tell me what you have bought and what they handle like in all conditions, also can you tell me how much you paid.can anyone tell me what they think of nankang tyres as from what I have read they seem pretty good for the price.sorry wrong department
axr-jet Legacy Donating Member 316 Member For: 22y 1m 15d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Sth/East Posted 30/12/04 06:56 AM Posted 30/12/04 06:56 AM I need new front tyres as mine have scrubbed on the insideThey are sava,Im not happy with them as they arnt too good in the wet. can anyone please tell me what you have bought and what they handle like in all conditions, also can you tell me how much you paid.can anyone tell me what they think of nankang tyres as from what I have read they seem pretty good for the price.Mate need to know what size first?
FPV 521 FPV521 Member 989 Member For: 22y 29d Gender: Male Posted 30/12/04 07:39 AM Posted 30/12/04 07:39 AM Just wondering what the GT radial tyres go like if any one has used them.
Guest TRACK Guests Posted 30/12/04 11:51 AM Posted 30/12/04 11:51 AM I've got 245/40r18 Yokahama AVS Sport. $515 each. Sensational grip in the dry. Not quite as good in the wet as I might have thought, given huge dry performance, but in saying that they still hang on better than anything else I've ever driven on. They now have 25,000km on them and are probably 2-3mm off the wear bars and I have noticed overall grip levels have definitely decreased. In the wet 2nd gear "in gear" wheelies (no dumping clutches) occur as required, and sometimes 3rd gear "in gear" wheelies happen depending upon conditions.Braking performance in both the wet and dry is sensational, even now with the worn tyres in the wet, you can achieve MASSIVE braking pressures before the ABS kicks in (Just keep an eye in the revision mirror, as odds are the guy behind you, isn't running big brakes and 2 grands worth of rubber!!)Overall, smoother, quieter, more dry grip, more braking grip than standard Dunlop SP9000. About the same latteral grip and wet grip as the Dunlop SP9000.Always go for the most tyre you can afford, as the tyre is the only thing that joins your pride and joy, you and your family to the ground. It's no use having bags of horsepower, and big brakes, if you run a set of "hardly-hang-ons"!! Remember - as Goodyear say "If they only save you once a year, it's a Goodyear"
XR6_ED Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 23y 6m 20d Posted 30/12/04 11:59 AM Posted 30/12/04 11:59 AM I've got 245/40r18 Yokahama AVS Sport. $515 each. Do you still come with the " warm up tyre approx 50km before doing performance driving" printed on the side walls
rapt Legacy Donating Member 317 Member For: 22y 11m 20d Location: gippsland Posted 30/12/04 12:05 PM Author Posted 30/12/04 12:05 PM Thanks for that TRACK When I win lotto they will be a serious thought :nugget:
Miyagi fordxr5turbodotcom Member 892 Member For: 22y 11m 24d Gender: Male Location: Point Cook, Vic Posted 30/12/04 12:12 PM Posted 30/12/04 12:12 PM I put new falkens on my 18" rims yesterday and I'm happy with them @ $250 a corner it fit the budget (which was my main constraint).Chatting to the guys @ the tyre factory in Geelong they said Dunlop have finally got their ass into gear and are now doing an OEM brand out of the same plant called Regal, I would have gotten the equivalent SP9000s but unfortunately they've only started doing up to the 17" treads... may be worth checking out...Thus far the Falkens do feel slightly less grippy, but they are certainly much quieter and for the price, I'll be happy if I simply get good mileage out of them.Cheers,Miyagi
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 11d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 31/12/04 11:32 AM Posted 31/12/04 11:32 AM Just wondering if anyone has tried continental or pirelli for the 18 inch 245/40/ZR18? I'm thinking that I might go that way but not sure yet. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what opinions and experiences others have had.
MYF6 Legacy Donating Member 172 Member For: 21y 9m 25d Gender: Male Location: Earth, I think? Posted 31/12/04 01:16 PM Posted 31/12/04 01:16 PM The best words of advise ever given to me were: Don't be a tight ass when it comes to tyres because rubber is everything. Track's submission to this thread is spon on - your tyres are the only thing that keep you on the road and buying on price will usually get you an inferior product. Any car is only as good as its rubber will allow it to be. Yoko's for $515 a hoop may not be everyone's idea (though I like it!!) of the way to go but you get what you pay for. You should buy tyres matched to the performance of the car and the driver. If you drive a cab then you look for tyres to last 100,000km. If you have a performance car then anything over 25,000Km is ok in my books - as long as they stick lick hot to a blanket.In a 17inch the standard T tyre - Dunlop SP3000A - is not a bad tyre. Good grip in the dry and wet and they are under $250.00 per tyre The Yoko's, Conti's and Pirelli's (not forgetting Bridgestone and Dunlop) are all fantastic tyres and they usually finish at the pointy end of any tyre tests. It comes down to how much you want to invest in performance.
Miyagi fordxr5turbodotcom Member 892 Member For: 22y 11m 24d Gender: Male Location: Point Cook, Vic Posted 01/01/05 02:39 AM Posted 01/01/05 02:39 AM The best words of advise ever given to me were: Don't be a tight ass when it comes to tyres because rubber is everything. Track's submission to this thread is spon on - your tyres are the only thing that keep you on the road and buying on price will usually get you an inferior product. Any car is only as good as its rubber will allow it to be. Yoko's for $515 a hoop may not be everyone's idea (though I like it!!) of the way to go but you get what you pay for. You should buy tyres matched to the performance of the car and the driver. If you drive a cab then you look for tyres to last 100,000km. If you have a performance car then anything over 25,000Km is ok in my books - as long as they stick lick hot to a blanket.In a 17inch the standard T tyre - Dunlop SP3000A - is not a bad tyre. Good grip in the dry and wet and they are under $250.00 per tyre The Yoko's, Conti's and Pirelli's (not forgetting Bridgestone and Dunlop) are all fantastic tyres and they usually finish at the pointy end of any tyre tests. It comes down to how much you want to invest in performance.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>... or maybe just having a level head and understanding that the cheaper tyres I've now put on my car won't lend the same performance levels previously experienced and thus... I'll drive more within the boundaries of the car.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now