Edit Review

Mals BA XR6T

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 4m 13d
Oh and will obviously compensate for more flow and adjust afr's. Correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have thought the PCM would need a 'custom' program, as it would need to know that the bigger injectors are installed. There would be no way for it to know this me thinks.

Alan

It's CAPA's Flash Tuner (well SCT Flash Tuner to be exact, but programmed by CAPA)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that. Getting some good info. Great post!!! :censored:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just to confuse you more its the stealth!!!

ok ok its both they are the same the one the only sct advantage/capa edit/steath from herrod!!!

Oh and will obviously compensate for more flow and adjust afr's. Correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have thought the PCM would need a 'custom' program, as it would need to know that the bigger injectors are installed. There would be no way for it to know this me thinks.

Alan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

me thinks too!!!!

• Member For: 19y 8m 13d

When it rains it pours.... My poor PCM has been flashed more times today then an exhibitist convention! :censored:

Ford had the car in today flashed the "new" calibration that would supposedly solve my overboost problems (and whilst it did seem to clean the whole package up through the rev range, it still died with flat spots when under heavy load).

Got home to start the SCT flashing/testing...

FYI - The car is a 11/2002 XR6T Ute Manual 48K (3 inch exhaust, high flow cat and mufflers, no other mods).

I had a 1/4 tank of Vortex 95RON, the outside temperature was still in the high 20s early 30s this afternoon, and I had just driven 70kms so the engine was well and truly up to temperature.

1st test - valet mode (thought it would be smart to do this in increments). Even with the cut at 3K RPM I was already impressed by better repsonsiveness, and a much cleaner idle and smoother cruising compared to the so-called improved Ford program.

2nd test - 8psi. Air con on, everything how you would drive normally. Very solid feeling of linear power coming on from around 2200rpm and then hitting a magic sweet spot at dead on 4500rpm [impressed by now :w00t2: ]. NO SINGLE sign of overboost or any other problem. There is a noticeable sound of more boost and the gear change dump is now slightly audiable. The trip metre computer is now confused as hell and yet I don't care - I'm actually enjoying driving my car again! :gooff: I feel the map is perfect for normal driving where you have solid performance and a nice piece of top rpm power for overtaking.

3rd test - 10psi. I was not going to do this given my concerns about the PCM having to "learn" with my less restrictive exhaust. I decided on taking a sedate drive and just giving it some light throttle acceleration listening very careful to the engine and exhaust note and taking note of how it felt. Well how did it feel? Fabulous!!!!! Unlike the other posts who have suggested that the 10psi map was not all that linear and felt less desirable then the 8psi - this was just magic. The thing built up boost quickly and without much effort at all I was going through the gears (no where near full throttle), effortlessly and smoothly. The noticeable increase in boost is there as I decided to push it a little harder. Come 4000rpm I am changing gears because I was still trying to feel it out and it seemed unesecary to push it harder as there was considerable speed... UNTIL, pop!!!!

Luckily I realised quickly without stressing that the large air puffing noise and drop in power was the dodgey spring clamp on the cooler hose deciding 10psi was not real fun. No dramas... I got a pair of pilers and put it back on with the intention of replacing this with a decent clapm when I got home. I drove sedately to BP and filled up with Ultimate 98RON (on a side issue I paid $0.815/L! The cashier buggered up!). On a private road (I live out in the sticks) I decided to test it to about 5000rpm in each gear. I was absoultely impressed with how effortlessly I was making my way to very high speed without really reving the engine or snapping quick gear changes - at about 4500rpm in third gear the surroundings were moving past quickly.

After about 30kms of driving I feel the car has enjoyed the 98RON and dropping ambient temperature. I don't know if it because of my engine finally utilizing the better flow of the moded exhaust, but this map is seriously quicker than the 8psi map and if I was not concerned about long term reliability issues with parts like the clutch and gearbox I would keep this on. But alas the pipe came off again twice before me having to replace the clamp with a proper one.

Conclusion.... Sure, I probably paid too much; but the money I lose now for buying before the price comes down with competition is nothing compared to the joy I will have driving my car again (without problems and with solid performance). My only gripe if I could have one would be that CAPA should provide better information with their product explaining a profile of the changes made to each map, and maybe even provide a hose clamp (if this in fact happens to others as well as soon as you play with the 10psi map). Certainly I will go for a custom tune once there is some more information about a local and reptuable tuner, and I am ready to throw on say a 2nd CAI. I must fight the bug though as I just keep thinking about cooler/injectors [sTOP!!! think broken T5 - okay back to reality].

I have 300km of driving to do tomorrow and I am looking forward to getting a better feel of things :msm:

• Member For: 21y 4m 5d

The 10psi map is fabulously suited to an exhaust equipped car, but will still run safely on a stock system vehicle.

that's all part of the engineering smarts.

As for your clamp, its unusual but it happens to some cars. Just a Ford quality control thing, and representative of about 1 in 40 units.

• Member For: 20y 21d

Hey NighEve you gotta love it,

add a second cai and the gear change dump as you called it becomes more than quite audible.

I couldnt help myself and gave it WOT up through the gears as soon as I could(within 5 minutes) :lol:

high flow cat eh, hmmmm I might try that.