Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 1d
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
Posted
So going back to my first post
I'm sure she will fail again.

How is blocking something she objects to failing?

Surely, if she blocks something, but the majority of the Senate approve then she has failed ?, unless of course all Senators have to approve, ie 100% before any legislation can pass, in which case she can be an influence.

  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 1d
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
Posted

It looks like Pauline is facing another hurdle.

PAULINE Hanson's prison friendship with child killer Valmae Beck has emerged as an obstacle in her race for the Senate.

A day into her campaign, Ms Hanson's bid to secure critical preference deals was dealt a blow with rival candidate and child abuse campaigner Hetty Johnston demanding the controversial former MP "please explain" her jailhouse relationship.

Full story, can be found here

  • Team Blueprint
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 21d
Posted
So going back to my first post
I'm sure she will fail again.

How is blocking something she objects to failing?

Surely, if she blocks something, but the majority of the Senate approve then she has failed ?, unless of course all Senators have to approve, ie 100% before any legislation can pass, in which case she can be an influence.

The basic principle is that governments are elcted to govern. They do this on a wide range of agendas. When single issue parties such as the Greens get hung up on their individual issues, when they form part of the balance of power they can and do hold up necessary legislation to push their agendas. A lot of compromise is done that waters down what governments are trying to do.

If you think that, in reality, one non major party senator has no real power then I would suggest you check how many pieces of legislation were passed in the senate by 1 or 2 votes. In a hostile senate, where the major parties cancel each other out, they have to compromise with the independents. Very often it comes down to the vote of one person. That one person can often nearly name their price to have important legislation (such as supply) passed.

If you think that one sentor has no real impact then think again. Legislation only needs to pass by one vote. If every votes on party lines, aand it comes down to one persons vote then that person wields significant power

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 1d
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
Posted

Appreciate the clarification VG. Like I have mentioned I'm not allowed to vote, and I don't fully understand Australian politics. Your response has allowed me to gain a better view of how things hang together....whether this is good or bad I don't yet know.

  • In Your Face
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Peninsula
Posted
She just doesn't take the hint ... :blink:

:blink:

At least she uses her mouth :lol:

:o Not there's a mental picture I could have done with out ... :ermm:

:stupid:

But your still thinking about it ...huh Ken :lol:

  • Team Blueprint
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 21d
Posted
Appreciate the clarification VG. Like I have mentioned I'm not allowed to vote, and I don't fully understand Australian politics. Your response has allowed me to gain a better view of how things hang together....whether this is good or bad I don't yet know.

Trust me mate, the more you know about it, the more annoying it is. I can't believe how a government that was elected by a majority of the people (a small majority but one nonetheless) has its operation hampered by a few odd loons like some of the independents or single issue parties in the Senate.

Whatever party wins our next Federal election I hope they dont have their efforts blocked. People elect governments becuase of their policies, I cant stand it when a couple of tools try to stop what the government was elected by a majority of the people to do.

If this election is close, and it sounds like it will be, people like Hanson, Brown and other small parties will hold up the mandate of the govt once again, and major policies will be held up so people like Harradine can dance a traditional aboriginal dance in his business shirt and trousers looking like the fool he is

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

One of the classic examples of where the balance of power can go horribly wrong was with the introduction of GST. The original concept was to make everything GST applicable and withdraw/reduce other taxes to compensate.

But the democrats in their wisdom decided that food should be gst free, sound simple enough but what is food? For example live animals are not classed as food but crustacean and molluscs are; orange juice is only food if it has a fruit content of more than 90%, but if you serve it in a glass you are providing a service so then GST is applicable, but if it served in a glass bottle for off-premises consumption then it is GST free.

Anyone that deals with this sh*t on a daily basis like myself would understand the frustration.

So although it may sound like a good idea to vote independent because none of the parties appeal – you’re better off going with one of the big guns that best suits your ideals, otherwise you get a useless parliamentary system that spends all day chasing it’s tail and coming up with all sorts of mismatched systems that are conceived through so much compromise that the original concept is usually lost.

Well there is my 1.81818181 cents worth (excl. GST)

Trent.

  • Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Bogan Shire
Posted
I can't believe how a government that was elected by a majority of the people

The more unfortunate thing about this VG is that the 'Government' we have now was actually elected as a minority but in a majority of seats :spoton:

I think the 2 Party Preferred last election was around 47:53? With the majority to labour?But the way the seating is done (bipartisan by the AEC though???)

and what IS wrong with having a senate who is in opposition (in theory) to the government? Would you prefer that we have a three year dictatorship with no opposition and a government spending and legislating willy nilly? :nono:

Anyway, from what I can see the Independent's have pushed through some MAJOR legislation in with the government. The 'Never Ever GST' and 'Medicare Plus' being two memorable ones :rockon:

However, I can not agree more with this statement about ours votes, even though only one, being very important in democracy :spoton: Nothing worse than listening to people whinge about the government and then they turn around and say they don't vote :ermm:

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 24d
  • Location: Somewhere
Posted
I never liked her, but respected that she had the balls (so to speak) to get up and say what she felt. You can't say that about many Pollies these days.

Does that mean that when she goes to the toilet, she stands ???!!

dutchie

:omg::boff::omg:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Albany Creek QLD
Posted

We all get what we pay and vote for....

A crying ex fish & chips shop owner with a record.......

God help us all is this really the best we can do?

Pull ya selves together. She had her chance.

I vote KEN.......................

Far better, if he doesn't get in he can give his preferences to Lumpen......

Now Ken , all you have to do is lift the speed limit on all highways to 240KMH!

Heres 4600 votes from the Forum already. I know we are not all in the same electorate but David Edrige rang Tony Abbott and he said it would be OK.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...