eMPee Member 247 Member For: 22y 7m 3d Location: Sydney Posted 14/09/04 08:47 AM Posted 14/09/04 08:47 AM Hey guys, wondering if anyone here can help me....I'm looking for a falcon ute to but but cant seem to find any manuals and xr6 turbo's are out of my price range...........untill I came across this at the pickles auctions site. I want to know if it would be worth buying this car and repairing it......if I could get it for say half the price of a normal car, spend say $10 grand???? repairing it and I've got me an xr6t ute So yeah if anyone has thoughts, experience whatever and could guide me to making a wise decision I'd be very grateful. I was gonna go to a smash repairs and ask them but will try u guys here first :up:It doesnt look like the engine is too badly damamged.. new radiator & intercooler, but im unsure how much trouble it would be to put a new front/side in it..Cheers Matt
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 16d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 14/09/04 09:38 AM Posted 14/09/04 09:38 AM Why is it being auctioned, was it a right-off?If so I think you'd be looking at more like 20 g's to get it back on the road as my T recently was injured with the total repair bill coming in around $15k - if only I didn't brake then it would have been written off.But in any case would you really want a vehicle that has been in an accident, I know I will be trying to get rid of mine as soon as the time is right. All the best anyway!Trent.
slapnut Member 216 Member For: 22y 6m 20d Location: Siddie Posted 14/09/04 09:49 AM Posted 14/09/04 09:49 AM Unless you have heaps of time and you can parts at trade price and you have mates in the panel beating business, my advice is to save your money and buy one that is not broken.The cost will always blow out and the price that this car will get at auction will probably be more than you bargained.Good luck!
XR6_ED Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 23y 6m 27d Posted 14/09/04 10:48 AM Posted 14/09/04 10:48 AM that's going to cost mega bucks to repair
Antisocial Weird Member Member 1,347 Member For: 23y 8m 8d Location: ACT Posted 14/09/04 12:42 PM Posted 14/09/04 12:42 PM I used to make money buying cars like this and fixing them.At the very least you need a mate in the business to get the parts at trade price for it to be worth your while, to compete (bid against) others in the trade who may buy it to repair it rather than wreck it. An ability to weld and owning a MIG also helps.Your advantage is that they (panel beaters) will put a high cost on their time spent on the car, because they could be earing the same money fixing someone elses car.You could try a friendly smash repairer and save yourself a few dollars removing and refitting the engine (if required) as they hate that sort of dirty work. :lol: A good rule of thumb is if the damage (compression or stretching) extends to from behind the suspension tower to the firewall, or if the top/rear of the doors are missaligned, then walk away. Its ok if the front edge of the door is wrong because its usually just the front gaurd that is the problem.You learn to spot problems with each successive car. I started with a $5k then $10 then $15K car. I would not like to start off with a car worth $30K...too much room for big budget blowouts.
turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 16d Location: Toowoomba Posted 14/09/04 04:43 PM Posted 14/09/04 04:43 PM all that damage and the front bar looks relatively good.Dazza.
Guest Guests Posted 14/09/04 11:06 PM Posted 14/09/04 11:06 PM Didnt look that bad to me??poxy pic angel though,cant see much,If your handy with a spanner and got mates in the game,grab it,if you arnt ,then grab something else and give it a squeeze vik
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 27d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 15/09/04 02:03 AM Posted 15/09/04 02:03 AM Aren't there new laws against re-reging write offs now?
turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 16d Location: Toowoomba Posted 15/09/04 02:48 AM Posted 15/09/04 02:48 AM I think there is now more than one level of write off, a repairable write off like this on and boof, where the insurer writes it off because its more economical than fixing it, so they send it to auction, and a total write off where they send it to the wrecking yard.Dazza
P.S.I Member 229 Member For: 23y 5m Location: sydney Posted 15/09/04 03:04 AM Posted 15/09/04 03:04 AM I purchased a repairable write off Subaru RX wagon for my wife. I got it for a good price, but at the end of the day the saving I made was NOT worth the hassle and heartache involved. Like the others have stated you need to have some good contacts in the parts/panel & paint game.Dagabond,I dont know about laws against fixing write-offs, but I know I had to take the car to an RTA inspection station where I was sat in a small room and made to wait whilst they checked to see if the car had been re-birthed. Good Luck.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now