drastic loss of power with bad missing

profrat

• Member For: 20y 8m 27d

Stang: Whatever ford put in before the 15000 km service. Happened twice then.

Then I had the service on friday. I guess they use the Castrol dealer stuff. Must find out. Problems continued with new oil. Hmmmm.....

Guest Modi
  • Guests

Profrat, the service guys said they messed round with the wastegate and reset the ecu. It has been running sweet since the service. The dealer was unimpressed with the intake mods Ive done and said that the extra airflow could be partly causing the overboost...but I highly doubt it coz I havent made any exhaust mods.

• Bloody Orange Team (BOT)
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 6d

I didn't have as serious a problem that has been described here. My only drama was that the motor felt pretty sh*t and rough. Took it to the dealer and the service manager said it was most like the VCT solenoid (I think this regulates the oil in the engine, or something like that). Anyways, the VCT Camshaft solenoid was cleaned and I haven't had a problem since. Was at about 1500km back then. Now at 26500 and no drama :).

• SportCompact.biz
  • Member For: 21y 16d

Mine is currently exhibiting the same behavior. Missing at low rpm, then comes good for a while, then goes back to being a piece of sh*t. I have also had my head replaced after having an issue with a cam chain deciding to loosen off the gear, bad bad things happen when that occurs let me tell you..

All in all just another problem with a car that is really beginning to give me the sh*ts..

Guest LOK@ChipTorque
  • Guests

If it does do the "Drop to 3 cylinders Limp Mode" there are 2 causes that I know of. Mind you, both will normally set an error code for the Ford boys to see what it's doing.

1. Sustained boost over expected value

2. Throttle or Accelerator Pedal Sensor error

The latter should turn the "Check Engine" (MIL) light on immediately on the dash though.

If it's overboost and cylinder cut, try snapping to full throttle and straight back to cruise or decel for a sec (safety permitting) twice and it may reinstate all cylinders without having to switch off.

There are known problems with the VCT system as well but they normally won't kill 2 or 3 cylinders though.

Hope that helps

(Might save at least one of you having to stop and turn the car off :thumbsup: )

Lachlan

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 3m 12d
Just come back from the Ford dealer. The sevice manager listened to the description and said 'it sounds just like a VCT problem'.

Apparently, if a very small obstruction in the oil gets in the sensor it can upset the VCT and cause it to cut out cylinders. It seemed like he had experienced it before. He said they would clean it out and it should be alright. It might even clear itself up before they can get to it next week. He said a throttle fault would show up as a fault code and there were none. But VCT is oil pressure driven, not electronic, so there are no computer faults to show up. That all seems to make sense and to fit the symptoms so we will see what happens. Can't take it in next week though as we are on holidays. He says it usually comes good when the obsruction (which can be minute) moves, and the worst case is that it stays put and you are stuck with the rough running and miss. Hope that doesn't happen on the Holiday. :thumbsup:

What sort of booking wait do y'all experience. They seem to be booked up about a week in advance here.

Sykes: Maybe this was your problem too and the blockage cleared itself by chance. Then again, maybe it was the throttle thing anyway. Hope so. Wouldn't wish it to come back on you.

Cheers, Prof

I experienced the same problem not long after I bought the car (<1000km). Same diagnosis. It only stopped once and hasn't done it again since in a year and a half.

My local Ford dealer is pretty busy too, usually need to book a week or more ahead for servicing.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 1d

Hi LOK,

A few of us experienced the overboost the other weekend up at bathurst. Temps were very cold and under hard acceleration the cars went into limp mode. Not sure if this is related to point 1, but it may be due to the cars running lean with the set fuel maps under our piggyback ECUs because of the extra boost from cold weather... :thumbsup:

• Upstanding Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

Whelp, after a full check of the fuel and ignition systems and having a new diff installed my car is not really any better.

Oh they did clean the throttle body citing that a passage to a temp sensor in it could be blocked.

Car runs a little stronger but still surges then cuts out under about 70% throttle.

Few other little hassles that came about from them trying to do too much in one day so I'm back to the this afternoon to let them know how it goes (or rather doesn't)

Starting to think pulling out all my data logging gear and laptop is going to be the only way to catch this fault- but even then it's not leaving any tell-tales in the ECU so they dealership is stumped.

Out of curiousity is there any easy way to extract basic diagnostics out of the car? Everything I've had previously had a combo of turning on the ignition key in conjunction with a button, or a cycle of key switches that would trigger the ECU to dump it's codes onto a display (or blink a light).

I would suspect overboost as I can trip it out of limp mode by doing pretty much what LOK said, but then if a factory car with nothign but an XR8 intake starts doing it regularily from the moment it gets the latest software update from Ford I suspect somethign else is broken ;) The car ran stronger and _much_ more reliably pre-update.

A.

• Member For: 20y 8m 27d

Hi Guys,

Interesting input from everyone. Thanks. Been away a few days. Went to Hotham again. No problems on the way up. Went like a bird.

BIG problems on the way home this evening. Cut out on numerous occaisions. At least 8 or maybe 10. Lost count. Always when accelerating. Mostly with a few revs (3000+) on full or near full throttle, but not always. Did it once in 5th at 80kays when I was overtaking gently. Getting bloody annoying. Most times I had to switch key off and on to clear it. A couple of times it cleard by just lifting for a few seconds. No more problems when I got onto the highway and on the cruise control.

Stuffed if I know what it could be. Seems strange that it clears when I switch off and on if its not a computer/electrical problem. Definatly no engine fault light coming on. I looked for it this time

I guess it could be something to do with overboost but then why would it happen at low revs and low loads? I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow morning to see if they can do something before we go away on Holidays. Its a bit dangerous when it cuts out during overtaking manouvers!!!!!!!!!

Prof.