joffa1
Member-
Posts
169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by joffa1
-
I’ve chased a power steering leak to the hardline of my power steering cooler up where it bends around the radiator. I’ve removed the two rubber lines off the hard lines and unbolted the cooler up the front of the car but not sure how to remove the whole cooler and hard lines now. There is bugger all access near the radiator and it bends around a tight spot. has anyone done this replacement before? Do you have to take the whole nose off the car to do it? it’s an FG MkII XR6T if that helps at all. Thanks for any help!
-
Yeah mechanic seemed to think because it was more pronounced with cold conditions it would be diff related? Not sure why that’s the case… Started talking about pinion bearing/harmonic noise due to a different angle or something with the new tail shaft. I don’t know… over my head.
-
Hi guys, My car is a 2012 FG XR6T Ute TR6060 Recently went to new mechanic as clutch slave cylinder failed, when doing the repair he also noticed my tail shaft was stuffed so he installed a new one also. Ever since I picked it up it now makes this new high pitched noise which I can only describe as like a “steam whistle” sound. It’s not rev dependent but largely speed dependent. It almost always happens when decelerating at around 38-40kmh but also when cruising/accelerating around 60kmh. And it’s definitely louder and more often in the mornings when the car is cold. I initially thought maybe a problem with the new tail shaft but it if it was out of balance or something I’m sure I would be copping a heap of vibrations. I’m now leaning more towards a diff issue… but would installing a new tail shaft all of a sudden cause an issue in the old diff? Car is at about 220,000kms now so I would imagine the bushes definitely need doing but any ideas as to what this strange new sound could be and why a new tail shaft has caused it? Keen to hear any advice, liked to be armed with as much info as possible before I return it to the mechanic. Thanks heaps.
-
Anyone out there chasing a TR6060 conversion? I’m chasing a ZF6 with flexplate, shifter and cable.
-
Great thanks Keith I dropped by a local mechanic today who gets good reviews. He was flat out but I’m taking it back to him on Wednesday. ok that’s good to know it’s not a massive job cheers. Was tempted to tackle at home but without a hoist can’t imagine dropping the gearbox would be a heap of fun.
-
(FG 2012 TR6060) Noticed a change in clutch pedal feel a while back, fluid in reservoir was pretty dirty, I topped up and all good for a while. Then the other day started up and pedal dropped to the floor and wouldn’t return. I topped up and bled and got the pedal back but now I’m losing almost all the fluid every time I drive and have to pump the sh*t out of it to get any pressure. Can’t see any sign of any fluid down near the pedal inside the car but have seen plenty underneath the car, looks to be escaping where gearbox mates up. Assuming these symptoms can only mean one thing - Slave Cylinder failed? If that's the case anyone know a good shop to take it to in Melbs and what is a reasonable price for works? I understand box has to be dropped to do it. thanks so much for any help.
-
Hi guys, I stupidly neglected doing my diff oil for a long time and am getting some pretty bad noises which I think are diff related (2012 FG Turbo Ute 6 speed manual by the way 205,000kms). I first thought it might be a wheel bearing as sort of sounds similar to when I’ve experienced that in other cars in the past but what’s different is it seems to be louder/worse when I back off the throttle or when I push the clutch pedal in particularly when changing gears at the 70-100kmh range. Any ideas on what this might be and whether I can do any self diagnosis at home? Thanks very much for any pointers/advice. I guess any recommendations on where to take it for repairs in Melbourne would be r helpful too. cheers.
-
I take your point. I don’t think it’s really marketing if they aren’t supplying the box though. I was just asking what their experience is of NA boxes in turbo cars… I’m still leaning towards trying to find a turbo one for ok money but from what I’ve read I reckon an NA one that’s had a bit of a service and look over might be ok for my stock to slightly modded Ute.
-
Interestingly he did say they have had multiple cars pushing 300kw atw on NA autos with no issues.
-
Yeah I thought so too. Seems fair and responded quickly. Will definitely meet with them.
-
So Maxx Performance got back to me pretty quickly with the below. What we think?
-
Thanks mate appreciate the input. I guess the other option would be to pick a box up that has issues ( hopefully for very cheap) and have it built…
-
I’d obviously rather get a turbo transmission just a matter of what I can actually get locally. See what comes up. Im going to attempt the mechanical swap work myself… in terms of wiring everything up and getting it driving well any recommendations who I should take it to?
-
I’m seeing a lot more NA wrecks come up. So I’d be pretty safe getting a ZF box out of an NA FG XR6 then? I don’t anticipate major mods on this car, maybe some basic stuff like injectors, cat and a tune.
-
Some decent buying there, but getting over from SA prob make it pretty costly. I’m in Melbs. Guess could road trip for the right buy.
-
I offered the bloke around $1500 for the box and he said I was dreaming
-
Is there anything else I am going to need other than a clue and some help? I guess the other question is what is a TR6060 with 200,000 kms on it worth. Not thrashed at all but clutch probably needs replacement.
-
Does this seem like an ok deal…. “We have series 2 turbo gearbox from a F6 s2 cost $3200 - 114 klms Tail shaft - $450 reco Engine loom S2 turbo same car $450 Shifter - $120 Flex plate $65”
-
That would certainly be a nice relief… the clutch return spring is actually failing now so it’s not returning all the way properly.
-
Apart from tailshaft I know those are different for the utes.
-
Also are there any differences I need to be aware of in sourcing parts. I’m thinking pulling everything out of a wreck might be my best option. Most wrecks seem to be sedans so what parts are different from sedan to ute? And am I correct in thinking FG XR6 NA transmissions and associated parts are the same as FG XR6 Turbo transmissions? thanks again for your help
-
I need to find this person! I guess the alternative is to try and make the manual I’ve got a bit nicer to drive maybe a short shifter install, anything else I can do to make it smoother and easier other than maintenance stuff…
-
That conversion seems a bit more involved… my model came standard with the auto transmission I want to put into it so I guess it’s safe to assume everything fits. I’m happy to tackle some things myself to help save coin but don’t want the car off the road too long that’s all. anyone out there looking to manualise their FG Turbo? Seems a straight swap for all the bits we need would be the easiest way to go…
-
Thanks mate will give it a read.
-
I have a fg Xr6t ute setup the way I need it with aluminium tray and boxes. I’ve had it a long time and know it inside and out and hasn’t been thrashed. Problem is I’m getting old and spend a lot more time in traffic these days and would love to change from manual to ZF auto. I know most people go the other way so I’m assuming this is feasible to do and possibly someone would be interested in swapping drivelines? happy to hear any advice on doing this (other than sell it and buy an auto 😂) and who in VIC would be your recommendation to get this work done and possible ballpark cost… thanks guys
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.