Jump to content

conrad

Legacy Donating Member
  • Posts

    40
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by conrad

  1. Cheers mate thanks for the info. Conrad Lovett
  2. Dose pipes really sound good. I might have to fabricate some dose pipes up for the XR6 T's. I spose the length and shape of the pipes is what gives it a unique sound. Nice vids. Conrad Lovett
  3. the porting of the exhaust housing is a must if you really would like to control the overboosting XR. Even though there are other forms of adjustment (ECU Tuning) sooner or later you are going to need this mod done once the boost is raised higher than factory. Cheers Conrad Lovett
  4. If your thinking about getting second hand springs and shockies from a xr6t the shockies would be pretty shagged. The springs are quite good (std XR6), just replace the shockies. I just replaced my rears with some bilstein shockies (Part Number BE5-62670), I still need to do the fronts. I can tell you they have drastically improved the ride. and have helped to eliminate axle tramp. Conrad Lovett
  5. Just taking a guess it could be your cat.the cat could be blocking the exhaust flow as you increase your incline going up a hill, I have had a few catalytic convertors crap themselves and they do rattle a bit, the honeycomb moves around in the cat housing and can restrict the flow, so this could also be why your down on power. hope this helps Conrad Lovett
  6. Awesome mate thanks for that info.
  7. Ratter how do you log AFR's? Or do you just do everything on the dyno? Conrad
  8. I have fitted the O2 sensor in the exhaust near the factory sensor (welded Bung). Yeah it's pretty good for the price, and seems to work well, I'm not looking forward to replacing the O2 sensor when it stuffs up (costs an arm and a leg).
  9. Cheers for that extra info mate, so there are obviously a few things that can be done to help control boost, that I didn't know about. It seemed cheaper for me to port the housing and add a larger flapper (Fixed my problem). There isn't anyone that can tune the XR's here in Bunbury that I know of. Perth is 2 hours North of Bunbury, so it would have costed too much, and I'm one of those blokes who would rather learn and sort it out myself. Cheers Conrad
  10. I'm currently playing with a Innovate LM-2 link here It's pretty good I read some bad reviews about it but it seems to work well for now. Bought it from the USA (cheaper) Conrad
  11. Mate I will eventually get a retune, I still need to do a few more things. I need some deka 60's and a GSS340 Pump, I really dont see the point in getting a retune just yet. I'm happy with the AFR's (Data Logging is good for this). I had some pretty big performance shops tell me the problem was with my tuning and that the upgraded housing, wouldn't fix my overboosting problem, but as you can see from my first post, I have dropped my boost pressures from 18.9PSI to 7.9PSI, so the housing modification was in fact my problem and I'm stoked that my overboosting problem is finally fixed. Anyone that is starting to play around with their XR's should really get this done, I should have done this first, before any other mods. I spose it's like when you get an old car and fit a bigger engine too it, the first thing you should do is upgrade the brakes and suspension so it can cope with the extra power (You want too stop before you hit that tree). The same principle applies here, you really need to keep your engine safe stopping the damn thing overboosting, should really be one of the first things you do, there is no use getting a bigger exhaust, intercooler if your engine isn't going to make safe power. Cheers Conrad
  12. Hi all I can offer a group buy for the Flapper Mod (Garret Flapper) and Wastegate porting for $280+ Postage ( You send me your housing and I port and do the flapper mod for $280+ Postage) Takes me approx 4-5hrs to do it correctly. Pm me if you are interested.
  13. Ok all I have just got to tell you all something!!! I had just recently changed my Exhaust to a 4" Dump with a 3.5" exhaust and fitted a HDI GT2 cooler kit, I was experiencing some major overboost problems. I had connected a digital manometer to the intake manifold to measure boost pressures, with the 6 speed Manual gearbox in 4th gear under WOT ( Wide Open Throttle) my car was hitting 18.9 PSI on a 8 Psi Tune. So as you can see from those figures it overboosted 10.9Psi!!! that is double of what it should be making ( on my current tune)!!. I had recently purchased an exhaust housing from a forum member, and ported and smoothed it out and fitted a 36mm wastegate flapper. Porting the housing and fitting the flapper took me approx 4hrs (To get the gas flow correct) It took me 5hrs to remove my turbo last night and refit the newly modified exhaust housing. I plugged the manometer in today and I can say that the wastegate mod really works, the car was making 7.9psi on a 8psi tune as opposed to the 18.9Psi the day before, so I have successfully fixed my overboost prob once and for all. You cant just bore the wastegate out (Drill It out), you really need to do it correctly, proper methods need to be used to ensure the gas flow is going to be at it's optimum, I am now happy with the AF ratio's and I can safely say that this mod is really needed to control that overboosting XR6T ( Unless of course you go for an external gate). If you are interested in getting this done just let me know, I can do it at a price that is very competitive (For Feb only $280+Postage, you send me your housing and I port it out and fit an upgraded Garret flapper), just shoot me a pm. Cheers Conrad Lovett
  14. Mate I sent you a pm about a second hand turbo core and ported exhaust housing and larger flapper that has been fitted too it, that will be available in 1-2 weeks from now.. Let me know what you would like to do. Cheers Conrad Lovett
  15. Good as wood ported the housing out to 32mm and left a min of 1mm overlap. I have another housing that I will port and do the flapper mod to, within the next 2 weeks, if anyone is interested PM me for price. Cheers Conrad
  16. Can you remove the compressor housing and turbo core, and just work on the exhaust housing. I have done this with my Calais Turbo but you have to be careful of the exhaust blades, dont want to chip or stuff em. Otherwise pull the whole lot off and work on the bench.
  17. I spose if you are making your own custom ali pipes it is a cheap alternative. If you are going to mass produce ali cooler pipes it would be worth buying a proper tool to roll the beads. Thanks all for the positive comments hope this helps everyone out.
  18. Hi all I've just found a simple little tool that you can make up at home to roll beads on your custom intercooler piping . I did some research and I found all the info from another forum , so all the credit goes to the forum where I got the info from. It really only works for Ali pipe but I'm sure you could use it on stainless pipe too, if your hands are up to it. I think the company that makes vice grips should make a tool like the one below. Maybe if it is good enough the mods might make it a sticky. You will need 1 Pair of standard size Vise Grips a 2.5 inch Muffler clamp saddle ( Depending on the size pipe you are using, if you are using 3" pipe get a 3" exhaust saddle and so on), a large washer and a small welder. Weld the muffler clamp saddle to the bottom of the vise grip jaw. Then weld the Washer to the top jaw of the Vise Grip. The pics below are very self explanatory, basically what you do is put the pipe in the vice grips and clamp it down, then release and keep moving around and clamping to form the bead. Let me know what you think about it. I think for around $50 it's a good tool to have in your shed, if you go to garage sales I'm sure you can pick up a set of vice grips for about 5 bucks. Cheers Conrad
  19. Any updates on this thread?
  20. Hi all just an update on the B&M shifter for the t56, I installed it yesterday, the only thing I had to do was modify the original gearstick to make it fit the new shifter, Took it for a test drive and WOW what a difference it makes, it feels so tight and positive every shift, even my wife really likes it, So if anyone is thinking about getting a B&M shifter for the XR6T, then I would be aware that a small amount of modification will be needed to the factory gear lever to make it fit, it only takes a few minutes but it is totally worth the effort. Conrad
  21. MTQ have the flapper for $37+Postage, if you ask them nicely they will just send it for free in an envelope. I rang MTQ in Perth and spoke to Tristan in the turbo parts, just google search them and your set. Conrad
  22. Cheers bud I will take all of this into account when I go ahead with the mod, thanks for your help. If only some one would sell me a housing to do the mod on. I'm sure something will come up. Cheers Conrad
  23. Who makes the coolers from Rapids? Are they Aussie made?
  24. Cheers mate for the fast response, I will do the mod myself, I have ported and polished heads before so this should be no real biggie, I have a thickness tester so I can monitor the thickness of the housing walls as I do the porting. Once again thanks for your help. Conrad
×
×
  • Create New...