Turbo Spin

Ninka

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m

Have any of you noticed how the turbo keeps spinning after the engine is turned off, even after adequate idling.

You should notice it as a gradually diminishing slight sound from the engine bay for about 15 seconds after the engine stops :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Member For: 21y 3m 8d
Have any of you noticed how the turbo keeps spinning after the engine is turned off, even after adequate idling.

You should notice it as a gradually diminishing slight sound from the engine bay for about 15 seconds after the engine stops :rolleyes:

Check out http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...ct=ST&f=9&t=473 if you haven't already. Sounds like the answer to my question regarding a turbo timer :)

Simon....

• Donating Members

I don't think a turbo timer is necessary, but only that the Garrett GT40 Turbo spins so easily due to the ball bearing set-up, that even idling is enough to spin the turbo at a few hundred RPM (have in fact confirmed this by removing the plastic intake tube and look at the compressor rotor - it does spin at idle), and this causes the continued spinning after the engine is turned off!

• Member For: 21y 6m 13d

Yeah, I've noticed the sound as well.

At first thought it was my A/C compressed air escaping, then realised it was a little different.

Makes sense though, you don't want to just stop something like the compressor wheel that's spinning, much better to let it run its momentum down by itself.

Probably helps keep the cooling system going as well - bearing still turning, if it's this thermosyphon system, the cooling will GET to the bearings, but the bearings have to be moving to get the heat transfer properly.

I think... :)

Guest esky
  • Guests

You should notice it as a gradually diminishing slight sound from the engine bay for about 15 seconds after the engine stops :ermm:

Dude this is a good thing :thumbsup: . I means your turbo is in relatively good condition.

All BB turbos will do this.

Guest harasn
  • Guests

you guys sure its not the restriction in the AC pipe at the passenger side under the bonnet? You shouldn't here the turbo spinning!!!!

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 23d
you guys sure its not the restriction in the AC pipe at the passenger side under the bonnet? You shouldn't here the turbo spinning!!!!

l've noticed this too, its definetely the turbo spinning down.

• Donating Members

I have checked this out visually by removing the intake pipe, and yes it is definitely the turbo spinning.

I guess that with Bal Bearings it spins so easily that the inertia is enough to keep it spinning for some seconds after the engine is turned off!