Scrotus Member 156 Member For: 18y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 15/03/09 12:17 PM Posted 15/03/09 12:17 PM (edited) Just found my turbo blades bent, I havent found the cause as yet. I was reading this post (http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34011) which 3 other people said they had paint and chunks come of the cross over and causing damage to the turbo. All had this happen around the 80,000km mark.I currently have 80,200km! Another member said that the o-ring fell out of the BOV and caused the damaged.Im getting a new turbo, new BOV (mine making flutter noise) and want to change the cross over to prevent any chance of crap going in the turbo. Is there a aftermarket kit avail for replacing the stock crossover, I wouldnt mind changing all the piping but will have to wait till I fix these other problems first. Edited 15/03/09 12:21 PM by Scrotus
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 23d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 15/03/09 12:32 PM Posted 15/03/09 12:32 PM Theres plenty of options but they all come with the same risk, IMHO, theres still a chance for something to be sucked into the Turbo no matter what you do. Although you will get better induction going aftermarket it wont completely cover you.As you said in your other thread you had loose connections all over the place, I would be guessing this is where its come from and that you have now covered this by tightening all the joins.....If you get yourself too paranoid about it, you wont take it out of the garage...
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 17d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 15/03/09 12:41 PM Posted 15/03/09 12:41 PM Scrots, do you need a new turbo?? I'm sure I read in the other thread that you could get away with just doing the wheel yeah? If you've 'got' the coin to be going a new turbo, why not just get the original wheel changed, have someone look at and make sure that it's all good and go a direct replacement piping kit?No point fixing what ain't broke...
Scrotus Member 156 Member For: 18y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 15/03/09 12:47 PM Author Posted 15/03/09 12:47 PM (edited) Well I rang the shop they will have to take the turbo out, fix whats broken (send turbo away) and put it back in. They didnt give me a price said they had to see it. From talking to other people they reckon it will cost around $800 because of the balance ect. So If I can get a near new, used turbo for 1k or so it might be better just for me to swap it over, get broken one fixed and resell it. My main concern also is having the car off the road for a week or whatever.. Edited 15/03/09 12:49 PM by Scrotus
typhoon_freak Cryptic Clothing Company Legacy Donating Member 4,556 Member For: 18y 2m 27d Gender: Male Location: Brisvages, Capalaba Posted 15/03/09 08:14 PM Posted 15/03/09 08:14 PM ooo if your gettin a new turbo.. get a bigger one
Scrotus Member 156 Member For: 18y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 16/03/09 02:30 AM Author Posted 16/03/09 02:30 AM (edited) lol, I dont really want over 350kw so std turbo will have enough. im gonna add rapids 3" inake when I fit the new turbo though, but I was thinking how does that go with water since its so close to the road? Edited 16/03/09 02:31 AM by Scrotus
Chich Damn You's A Sexy Chich Member 3,843 Member For: 18y 7m 21d Gender: Male Location: Your House Posted 16/03/09 03:48 AM Posted 16/03/09 03:48 AM mine has been fine, and I've driven it in very wet conditions, I just make sure my splashtrays and bar tray are all in place properly to be safe. I haven't heard of anyone else having dramas either...
dule Legacy Donating Member 1,180 Member For: 19y 5m 21d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/03/09 05:06 AM Posted 16/03/09 05:06 AM Think of it as water injection, it's the latest thing...
Miss_Aly Legacy Donating Member 615 Member For: 22y 4m 23d Gender: Female Posted 16/03/09 05:17 AM Posted 16/03/09 05:17 AM (edited) Yeah had the same problem at the 80k mark, now done 100k. We actually found the culprit that ate my turbo blades sitting in the bottom of the intercooler. An Aluminum dag from the cross over believe it or not, quite big too. To fit the turbo with new blades cost me $1000 Edited 16/03/09 05:18 AM by Miss_Aly
Scrotus Member 156 Member For: 18y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 16/03/09 02:28 PM Author Posted 16/03/09 02:28 PM Miss_Aly seems almost cheaper to get a new turbo, least then wont have to pay labor for someone to R&I the old one. I think im gonna get the Rapid 3" intake + HDI intercooler kit oh and new bov mite be broke for a while now ( acutally im already broke! ) dont suppose anyone knows how much the HDI kits are from their website? On ebay they are selling for $600 though to access their prices on their website u have to pay 'membership' $25 USD.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now