Drive shaft vibration?

jas98

• Member For: 11y 9m 4d

Hi all. Trying to figure out a vibration/complete car shake in my ba xr6t sedan. Before say it's brake booster I don't believe so as have tried that trick and the symptoms are a bit different and tail shaft seems ok Aswell

So driveing today ona shortish trip (100ks away) and was all good going there as had a clean run.

On way back was allot of traffic...slow traffic so naturally when overtaking lane comes you go around. Anyway was doing about 85kph.   Then started to accelerate...not heavyly but enough and got to about 110kph  and noticed a decent vibration/shake in my arse and center concept was shaking ..wife could also feel it In her seat. 

Now I got to 120pkh and  as soon as I lifted foot from accelerating it was smooth....also noticed on what home every time I lightly accelerated while doing over 80kph I could feel the shake which felt from rear end..

When coasting it's smooth. Which is got me thinking the cv joints in teg rear drive shafts? As I know the shafts need replacing as they have a fair a pint of play in the inner joints (tripod style ones) ..

Around town it's fine though 🤔

Suppose what I'm asking is can rear drive shafts worn cause a vibration like this? If it was brake booster I would have thought it wouldn't stop as soon as I took foot of accelerator 🤔

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 29d

Is one of your wheels loose, as in not done up properly? Wheel spacers can cause very similar symptoms if they are not sitting dead flat on the hub.

Best thing to do man is check and inspect everything. Having us guess will be a shot in the dark at best...not that having shots in the dark is altogether bad :10_7_3:

• Member For: 11y 9m 4d

Haha yeah shots are good 😂 

Yeah I'll check all that. But I know the drive shafts are extremely worn as U can hear clicking when showing down etc . I have a genuine pair waiting to go in but haven't had time lol 

I'll get under and check everything Aswell. 

I have read it's common this issue with worn cv joints but mainly front wheel drive not rear ..so was wondering