What size injectors?

Rive_mk2

• Member For: 5y 6m 27d

Hey guys, will be getting a Fg xr6 turbo ute in the near future and just wondering what size injectors to go with? The mods I want to do are obviously injectors, fuel pump, dump pipe and high flow cat with a tune. I see everyone tends to go with 1000cc injectors, but I’m not chasing heaps of power so would 650cc injectors be a silly idea or not really? just wondering what people’s thoughts are or if there’s anyone that’s not running 1000cc.. Thanks.

Edited by Rive_mk2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 30d

A couple of things to consider;

If you ever want to use E85, the Bosch 980/"1000cc" will be a good option. They are very suitable for the amount of power a stock FG engine is happy with. They drive like stock for the average user.

You should ask the tuner what they recommend or use. They are the ones that have to set up the injector data and they may have a preferred injector they've already scaled for the barra.

The barra is a decent sized engine (for Australia) and the stock turbo is also fairly large. If you wind it up on E85 you will quickly find the limit of 650cc injectors.

Tl;Dr ask the tuner :)

• Thanks 1

• Member For: 5y 6m 27d

Yeah that makes sense mate, thanks. The tuner is the one that has to set em up etc at the end of the day.. I’ve just seen people say if you’re not chasing heaps of power and probably won’t down the track, no point using a 1000cc injector no where near its duty cycle, but would be better using a smaller injector and use more percentage of its cycle if that makes sense? Also, If I’m only looking at around the 300rwkw mark give or take, is there any point in doing the dump pipe? Or would be fine just putting in a high flow cat? A high flow pump, injectors, high flow cat and a tune should put the power up a bit? Thanks mate.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 30d

It doesn't matter if you use a larger or smaller injector, they will both work fine providing they are suitable for your car, ie; plugs, length, spray pattern etc.

Have a look through the 300kw club part of the forum, there will be heaps of info in there regarding part selection. Also have a read through jeturbo's thread, he's done a metric farktonne of 300ish kw FG turbos.

There's more than one way to make power and if you can afford to do the whole exhaust, intercooler upgrade, valve springs, turbo porting etc, the car will make the power so much easier with less stress on the engine. You can also do the bare minimum but once again, consult with your tuner. They may have a set way they do things and may not even want to tune a car without wastegate porting, for example.