05_BA_XR6T_MKII Member 8 Member For: 13y 8m 27d Posted 25/04/21 04:08 PM Posted 25/04/21 04:08 PM Hi All, My 05 MKII turbo cuts out/limp mode while driving. Took it to my mechanic who said it is a intermittent PCM fault. How much would a PCM/ECU bench test cost? If I end up needing to replace this what is my cheapest/easiest option to get my car back to the way it was? Cheers
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m Gender: Not Telling Posted 25/04/21 09:44 PM Posted 25/04/21 09:44 PM Unplug it and plug it in again. There is a big black plug a few inches from the pcm.
05_BA_XR6T_MKII Member 8 Member For: 13y 8m 27d Posted 26/04/21 01:13 AM Author Posted 26/04/21 01:13 AM Already did that. Didn't fix the problem.
05_BA_XR6T_MKII Member 8 Member For: 13y 8m 27d Posted 26/04/21 05:04 AM Author Posted 26/04/21 05:04 AM Hi All, I recently installed an immobiliser on my 05 XR6 Turbo MKII & 3 weeks later it started going into limp mode/cutting out while driving. Naturally my first thought was a faulty immobiliser but after researching possible issues it seems the fault is most likely an intermittent issue with the PCM/ECU. Before I went off to the mechanic I decided to see if I could diagnose/fix the issue myself by replacing parts on the car that may be the cause. I've replaced the crank sensor, TPS sensor, did oil change, new sparks, injector cleaner, replaced the inlet manifold gasket, disconnect/reconnect the PCM, new battery, took off & cleaned the throttle body. I want to keep going with replacing things (O2 sensor/Map sensor/New throttle body) just in case & also why not, it's an old car that will prob need it soon anyway. After 12 days at the mechanic the cause was not found so he concluded PCM/ECU was most likely the problem. He was sus on the immobiliser saying that the technician could have grabbed power from the wrong place & caused a power surge somewhere. Hmm. What should I do next? 1. Take out the immobiliser. Drive it & see? 2. Bench test PCM/ECU? Where is the best place to do this? approx cost? 3. Just bite the bullet buy a new ECU. Get it tuned/reprogrammed. What's the cheapest ECU & installation cost? What does the reprogram process involve? Anything else required for new ECU? Basically I just want my car back on the road the way it was. I would really appreciate your thoughts. Cheers Sebastian
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m Gender: Not Telling Posted 26/04/21 06:24 AM Posted 26/04/21 06:24 AM That plug I was on about, unplug it again and tighten the pins in the connector. It can cause intermittent pcm errors. Now that you mentioned the issue started after the immobiliser install, I would look there for a solution.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now