Runs Out Of Fuel At 4000 Rpm When Hot Not Cold

• Member For: 8y 9m 2d

Hi, I've just bought a 03 ba xr6t with aftermarket intercooler, Garrett gt 3582 with external wastegate running 15 psi auto and I'm having problems with it reving over 4000 rpm as that's when boost is coming on but it dies when quarter or more on temp but when cold or on cold nights it revs to 6000 rpm easily before running out of fuel and then idle quality is rough until I stab the throttle or restart engine and then is fine. Car drives normally otherwise its just when I get up it she plays up so my question is : What can it be causing this problem as there's a few that come to mind

a) fuel pump

b) injectors

c) fuel regulator

Please any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

Allan.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

I know I'll have to take it to a tuner soon but I'm trying to save money as such for when it does go it only goes once for tune and the saved money can buy the parts I require so that's why I've asked the question on this forum if anyone has had a similar problem would most likely have the fix

Are you able to pull codes from it? It could be numerous issues both tune or hardware related so hard to give guidance without some extra info

I'll be home in an hour or so and I'll put the code reader tool on it and I'll tell you what comes up as the previous owner upgraded the intercooler, turbo and that's all he did so far but he has put a pod filter on the turbo directly to bypass the top hose that normally comes from the air boxpost-84759-143787893412_thumb.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 24d

Doesn't look like it has an external gate? Maybe you have been jipped on a few things!

I'd be looking at overboosting or maybe valve spring issues also?

• Member For: 13y 3m 8d

could be many things... sounds like you might have a valve spring issue in there as well though...

however, what fuel system is this car supposed to have? what injectors? what pump?

do you have a boost gauge? what boost is it hitting? what boost was it tuned for?

Hi, sorry for taking so long as I'm about to take out the auto and replace the oil seal lol. No codes come up on the scan tool but since I've been rebuilding the intake tubes I've noticed that if I don't flatten the pedal and wind out the gears she'll rev to 5500 to 6000 with no real problem until the foot goes flat and its like its run out of fuel and I think it is just that as the pump is stock, reg is stock and injectors are stock as well so my next question is with what sizes as its hitting 10lb of boost on the guage feels really nice until it dies but then comes back to life with some pedaling. This is my first turboed car and I'm quite surprised in how well they go. Cheers