junior Member 95 Member For: 23y 4m 14d Gender: Male Location: Kellyville, Sydney Posted 09/02/04 03:25 AM Posted 09/02/04 03:25 AM I was having a bit of fun yesterday afternoon and noticed that if you do flat changes there is a cut out of the engine.I know this is probably to save the gearbox but has anyone else noticed this.Its is only for a split second but is enough to loose some boost between gear changes
richdave SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten Legacy Donating Member 1,841 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: Outer east - Melbourne Posted 09/02/04 04:35 AM Posted 09/02/04 04:35 AM Huh? whats a flat change? Some thing to do with tyres....BTW I have an auto......LOL
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 11d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 09/02/04 04:37 AM Posted 09/02/04 04:37 AM I was having a bit of fun yesterday afternoon and noticed that if you do flat changes there is a cut out of the engine.I know this is probably to save the gearbox but has anyone else noticed this.Its is only for a split second but is enough to loose some boost between gear changes Someone was looking for people who have killed the T5.Keep an eye on junior here, I think he might if he keeps that up!
edo Member 44 Member For: 22y 8m 22d Posted 09/02/04 04:43 AM Posted 09/02/04 04:43 AM A flat change is when you dont use the clutch....interesting that it has a rev cut. That is how you make it (flat changing) easier in a race car, cutting ignition to take the load off the box while you swap cogs. A sequential box such as those in an M3, 360 Ferrari etc does exactly that.Oh, I wouldnt reccommend this as a daily (or ever, really) practice, its really not designed with that in mind...& given the doubts about the T5s strength Id probably take a dab at the clutch pedal just in case.
Trumpy What's happening? Legacy Donating Member 1,605 Member For: 23y 10m 3d Gender: Male Location: Steel City, NSW Posted 09/02/04 05:14 AM Posted 09/02/04 05:14 AM I thought a flat change was keeping your foot flat on the accelerator, while dipping the clutch for your gear change......
junior Member 95 Member For: 23y 4m 14d Gender: Male Location: Kellyville, Sydney Posted 09/02/04 05:36 AM Author Posted 09/02/04 05:36 AM Trumpy was right except I was not using full throttle when changing, it was more like 1/3 throttle .I read it in an article somewhere that it happens and thought I would find out for myself.Full throttle changes would be quite severe on the T5 and besides that it seems to be very hard to do quick gear changes in my T, especially 2nd to 3rd.It was just a bit of spirited driving, very late afternoon.
edo Member 44 Member For: 22y 8m 22d Posted 09/02/04 05:39 AM Posted 09/02/04 05:39 AM Nah, that's just a bad change!The idea with a flat change is to save time. You usually wouldnt lift off either, just slam that lever through...eeekkk! If you time it correctly you will change just as the ignition cuts with the rev limiter (relieving that pressure)...its still harsh though.You will see in the in car shots of V8 Supercars where you are looking at their feet, in the sprint races they will do flat changes wheras at Sandown/Bathurst etc they will generally just dip the clutch a touch to relieve the pressure off the gears, right floot still buried.(which is what youre saying I think)
junior Member 95 Member For: 23y 4m 14d Gender: Male Location: Kellyville, Sydney Posted 09/02/04 05:47 AM Author Posted 09/02/04 05:47 AM Edo I know it should be flat but I recon if I did a few of these in my T I would be walking home and I could not bring myself to do it anyway.I used to do them flat out in my old V6 capri , but it didn't matter what happened to that because the car was worth sweet FA
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 09/02/04 07:04 AM Posted 09/02/04 07:04 AM edo> a flat change is a gearchange with the throttle flat to the floor. You will be hard-pressed to do it in a street car without using the clutch - the syncros simply won't work and you'll be sitting in the middle of the road with a whole lot of mashed up gears and lots of time to watch the traffic going past. The V8 supercars use a Holinger non-syncro close-ratio gearbox and are designed to withstand the clutchless up-changes that you see the drivers doing.
sixfan Flaccid Member Legacy Donating Member 2,503 Member For: 23y 4m 16d Gender: Male Location: NOONAMAH, go figure..... Posted 09/02/04 07:13 AM Posted 09/02/04 07:13 AM Trumpy was right except I was not using full throttle when changing, it was more like 1/3 throttle .I read it in an article somewhere that it happens and thought I would find out for myself.Full throttle changes would be quite severe on the T5 and besides that it seems to be very hard to do quick gear changes in my T, especially 2nd to 3rd.It was just a bit of spirited driving, very late afternoon. you're a brave man junior, still, that's what a warranty is for I suppose...I can't get the shifter to move quick enough to try this and the grindy crunch I get going ito fith is off putting.....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now