Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 13y 8m 21d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Hey Jules

I didn't get a chance to mate as it was so rushed just to get car on rollers. After the runs we did check the recorded temps of the PWR from previuos tune which had climbed to 40 odd degrees. The new coolers cold side pipes were totally cold, I think it would have been lucky to be over 20deg on a 15deg ambient day? I will head out to dyno again after drags and try and do some logging. I do have my PWR temp gauge which I should hook up too.

Here's a pic of PWR extruded tube guys, probably the best extruded type tube and fin I have used. With that being said tube and fin technology has come a long way forward from extruded designs.

Kind regards Jon

post-55579-0-23201500-1405585849_thumb.j

  • Like 1
  • Member
  • Member For: 12y 9m 5d
Posted

Massive difference in Internal surface area compared to the hypertune or plazmaman cores which use the thin offset style fins

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 13y 8m 21d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Yep its a big difference from the Euro tube n fin designs. The Euro are so light with laser welded tubes and offset internal fin structure. You don't have to be Einstein to work out a lighter core will transfer thermal energy faster than a heavy cooler. Just like 2 pieces of ally plate the same size but one 2mm thick and the other 8mm thick, heat them up to same temp and the thinner will cool faster. That's all you want to do is transfer thermal energy from the charge air to atmosphere as fast as possible. Heres another pic of a Euro tube n fin. I have a pic of a core from Denso Europe floating around too I will try and find

Kind regards Jon

post-55579-0-07098200-1405590301_thumb.j

  • Like 1
  • Member
  • Member For: 12y 9m 5d
Posted

Any process west pics out there? Pretty sure it will look the same as the HDI core in one of the previous posts, but would be interesting to see.

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 3m 25d
Posted

That's a 600x325x100. Here is a pic of mine 3/4 the way through tube entry splaying

Kind regards Jon

Re the entry splaying, I sourced an extruded tube & fin cooler through A.R.E. (for my s15 some years ago) which had a CNC "venturi" plate made up which is welded onto the inlet side of the cooler. Basically it is an ali plate with radiused slots CNC'd into it. The slots line up with the entry tubes on the cooler and "directs" the incoming air into the cooler tubes. More or less with what you are doing however with a nicer radiused entry and which also extends around the ends of the cooler tubes. Food for thought and much easier than individually splaying each cooler tube....I would have thought.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 13y 8m 21d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Splaying the ends is very very easy and doesn't cost anything. I would think a venturi plate would have to be machined from at least 12mm alloy on a CNC mill and would add to the cost of the cooler. Having longer tubes which you can splay out doesn't cost anything at all. Would have been a K&J extruded core?

Kind regards Jon

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 3m 25d
Posted

Hi Jon,

I have the Adrad extruded tube and fin with longer ribs. From memory the venturi plate was around $150 extra which is peanuts in the overall scheme of things.

Yes, the plate would be around 12+mm thick.

Cheers,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...