Poelwyk Member 99 Member For: 15y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: Werribee,Melbourne, Australia Posted 15/07/13 09:28 AM Posted 15/07/13 09:28 AM hey guys I have a MK1 BA XR6 turbo and it has the factory brakes witch are 298MM and iv been offered a upgrade premo brakes with are 325MM now the issue I have is the thread in the calipers have been cross threaded..now what would be required to be done to them so I can fit them to my car..?
BRK Member 361 Member For: 14y 9m 23d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 16/07/13 05:25 AM Posted 16/07/13 05:25 AM Take them to a brake repairer and see if they can be helicoiled - if yes, then get all the pieces for the swap - plus think about some new hoses or braided hoses. These things are getting on a bit in years.
Poelwyk Member 99 Member For: 15y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: Werribee,Melbourne, Australia Posted 16/07/13 06:20 AM Author Posted 16/07/13 06:20 AM yeah this is why I thought about doing this as there bigger then what I have on the car at them moment ... got a price to reco the calipers and its gonna cost $120 per caliper + fixing of thead what ever the price is new Disk's all round its a Sum of $500 + pads at 250ish .. the braided lines... im looking at alittle over 1,000 to do witch is not that bad... just got to get over the issue of the crossthred..
spinr33 Legacy Donating Member 964 Member For: 15y 1m 19d Posted 16/07/13 10:07 AM Posted 16/07/13 10:07 AM I'd try and retap the original thread first by running a die through it I don't know if it trust a helicoil in this situation anyone else's thoughts? 1
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 8m 5d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/07/13 01:13 PM Posted 16/07/13 01:13 PM nah, if done properly, helicoils can be stronger than the original thread.
spinr33 Legacy Donating Member 964 Member For: 15y 1m 19d Posted 16/07/13 10:15 PM Posted 16/07/13 10:15 PM Yeah I would normally agree but with the expansion and contraction from heat of the brakes I would be concerned, although having said that I have helicoiled sparkplugs in heads before.But I have also seen helicoils get pulled out before from over tightening and not being done correctly.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now