nick d Legacy Donating Member 1,594 Member For: 16y 2m 18d Gender: Male Location: Melb Posted 25/04/12 09:38 AM Posted 25/04/12 09:38 AM Just got a phonecall from a mate his BF GT has a flat battery and he was going to use his trickle charger to charge the battery when he thought he should ask me first.Never have I done myself but is it ok to have the battery in the car with the terminals connected and charge it ??? Cars been sittin gsince all ford day.You info will help him out.
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 25/04/12 09:41 AM Posted 25/04/12 09:41 AM No!, he may cause damage to the altenator or ECU, disconnect a terminal first.
bionicxr6t05 Legacy Donating Member 2,216 Member For: 15y 2m 6d Gender: Male Posted 25/04/12 09:45 AM Posted 25/04/12 09:45 AM It takes all of 5 seconds to disconnect the negative terminal...... Bit of a no brainer
nick d Legacy Donating Member 1,594 Member For: 16y 2m 18d Gender: Male Location: Melb Posted 25/04/12 10:34 AM Author Posted 25/04/12 10:34 AM Thanks guys. wouldn't the alarm go off if he disconnects the one terminal?
bionicxr6t05 Legacy Donating Member 2,216 Member For: 15y 2m 6d Gender: Male Posted 25/04/12 10:39 AM Posted 25/04/12 10:39 AM If its factory ford alarm just turn the ignition on then disconnect the battery.... Wont hurt anything
234Fpv Legacy Donating Member 522 Member For: 15y 2m 25d Gender: Male Location: Yeppoon qld Posted 25/04/12 10:50 AM Posted 25/04/12 10:50 AM I think you can get some chargers that are safe can't you? I'd never use a normal charger and do it but I had a trickle charger for my bike and it was designed to be wired up to the battery with a plug where you plug the charger in so all you do is plug the charger into the plug on the bike.
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 25/04/12 10:54 AM Posted 25/04/12 10:54 AM they are normally classed as battery maintainers, basically a low power charger, they charge when battery condition is down and the stop when a good charge is detected
Paulie2256 Legacy Donating Member 7,441 Member For: 17y 10m 11d Gender: Male Location: SE Melbourne Posted 25/04/12 10:57 AM Posted 25/04/12 10:57 AM In the case of the bike there could be a relay in the electrical system that isolates the battery when charger is connected. I know fire trucks are put on charge using a separate connector when sitting at the station but they also have a manual isolator.
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 25/04/12 11:08 AM Posted 25/04/12 11:08 AM I have 3 bikes (well 1 is really Bels) that are on the maintainer all the time, I did not fit or believe them to have anything special in the wiring
nick d Legacy Donating Member 1,594 Member For: 16y 2m 18d Gender: Male Location: Melb Posted 25/04/12 11:12 AM Author Posted 25/04/12 11:12 AM (edited) Awesome guys very informative and many thanks from him.I know abit about these cars but I always get asked by mates with the same models as everybody knows how I am Ford through and through, amd know my Fords. Edited 25/04/12 11:16 AM by nick d
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now