Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 1m 13d
Posted

Hey everybody!

I've been reading up on the threads for removal of the turbo in prep for the porting and valve mod. By the looks of it, I'd be willing to pull the lot off, manifold and all, saving me the terrible access to get to the turbo/manifold bolts. It got me thinking, while it were all out, is it worth it to get the exhaust housing and manifold both ceramic coated? Or would it be harmful in anyway? Like make the cast material more likely to crack?

Reading up on a few other threads it also looks like people only get their mild steel dump pipes ceramic coated. I'm guessing this is because the stainless steel equivalent is most likely thinner gauge and more prone to cracking when coating. Is this correct? If that's the case, I'd be looking to see if I could get a full stainless system bar the dump. Have a coated mild steel dump on the front of it.

Your thoughts?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted (edited)

I've ceramic coated the manifold, turbine housing and stainless dump. It made a huge difference to under hood temps and wasn't too bad price wise. I think from memory it cost about $600 to do all of it including courier.

sa400033.jpg

Edited by ScatterBrain
  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 1m 13d
Posted

Oooooh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I've heard of a few spots around Brisbane that I can get it done, so I won't have to worry about couriers.

I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't really see up close, but is that an xforce dump? Just wanna make sure because from what I've seen they're pretty thin gauge. If it's all running sweet for you then I'll be doing the same. :D

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Yeah it a stainless steel xforce dump, Its been trough a few track days now and still perfect.

  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

well worth doing. Drop under bonnet temps dramatically and helps improve spool (the improved spool is debatable ) but the reduction in under bonnet temps is well worth it.

  • I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 3d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Hmm this is what I need,, after about 30+ driving is I stopped and put my hand above the gap were the bonnet and guard meet its like a sauna..

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 1m 13d
Posted

Yeah to be honest, the improved spool claim was the initial attraction that made me want to get it done. I can still see the theory behind it. I'm guessing that the difference it makes is negligible. But then again, the lower under bonnet temps sound good enough for me, considering that my mate's uncoated exhaust manifold on his xr6t was glowing red after a few boots up a mountain on a cold night. (Think his tune was a bit off though.) And I've seen that you could get it done in 1400 degree silver, so it'll bling up the engine bay a bit. I'm sold.

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 1m 13d
Posted

By that do you mean it starts flaking off or losing its shine, or that it just gets dirty looking pretty quickly?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...