LTMFD Member 14 Member For: 15y 1m 13d Posted 01/10/11 12:59 PM Posted 01/10/11 12:59 PM Hey everybody!I've been reading up on the threads for removal of the turbo in prep for the porting and valve mod. By the looks of it, I'd be willing to pull the lot off, manifold and all, saving me the terrible access to get to the turbo/manifold bolts. It got me thinking, while it were all out, is it worth it to get the exhaust housing and manifold both ceramic coated? Or would it be harmful in anyway? Like make the cast material more likely to crack?Reading up on a few other threads it also looks like people only get their mild steel dump pipes ceramic coated. I'm guessing this is because the stainless steel equivalent is most likely thinner gauge and more prone to cracking when coating. Is this correct? If that's the case, I'd be looking to see if I could get a full stainless system bar the dump. Have a coated mild steel dump on the front of it.Your thoughts?
LTMFD Member 14 Member For: 15y 1m 13d Posted 04/10/11 01:40 AM Author Posted 04/10/11 01:40 AM Anyone? Looks like nobodys ever done this.
ScatterBrain Legacy Donating Member 316 Member For: 17y 4m Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 04/10/11 02:15 AM Posted 04/10/11 02:15 AM (edited) I've ceramic coated the manifold, turbine housing and stainless dump. It made a huge difference to under hood temps and wasn't too bad price wise. I think from memory it cost about $600 to do all of it including courier. Edited 04/10/11 02:15 AM by ScatterBrain
LTMFD Member 14 Member For: 15y 1m 13d Posted 04/10/11 01:11 PM Author Posted 04/10/11 01:11 PM Oooooh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I've heard of a few spots around Brisbane that I can get it done, so I won't have to worry about couriers. I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't really see up close, but is that an xforce dump? Just wanna make sure because from what I've seen they're pretty thin gauge. If it's all running sweet for you then I'll be doing the same. :D
ScatterBrain Legacy Donating Member 316 Member For: 17y 4m Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 04/10/11 08:33 PM Posted 04/10/11 08:33 PM Yeah it a stainless steel xforce dump, Its been trough a few track days now and still perfect.
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 04/10/11 11:14 PM Posted 04/10/11 11:14 PM well worth doing. Drop under bonnet temps dramatically and helps improve spool (the improved spool is debatable ) but the reduction in under bonnet temps is well worth it.
freeze_dk I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation Legacy Donating Member 8,610 Member For: 20y 4d Gender: Male Posted 04/10/11 11:43 PM Posted 04/10/11 11:43 PM Hmm this is what I need,, after about 30+ driving is I stopped and put my hand above the gap were the bonnet and guard meet its like a sauna..
LTMFD Member 14 Member For: 15y 1m 13d Posted 05/10/11 04:03 PM Author Posted 05/10/11 04:03 PM Yeah to be honest, the improved spool claim was the initial attraction that made me want to get it done. I can still see the theory behind it. I'm guessing that the difference it makes is negligible. But then again, the lower under bonnet temps sound good enough for me, considering that my mate's uncoated exhaust manifold on his xr6t was glowing red after a few boots up a mountain on a cold night. (Think his tune was a bit off though.) And I've seen that you could get it done in 1400 degree silver, so it'll bling up the engine bay a bit. I'm sold.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs Legacy Donating Member 1,808 Member For: 17y 9m 16d Gender: Male Posted 11/10/11 08:17 AM Posted 11/10/11 08:17 AM silver ceramic coating doesn't stay looking good for long. go black, its usually double coated and stays looking better.
LTMFD Member 14 Member For: 15y 1m 13d Posted 11/10/11 09:34 AM Author Posted 11/10/11 09:34 AM By that do you mean it starts flaking off or losing its shine, or that it just gets dirty looking pretty quickly?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now