mick1378 Member 14 Member For: 15y 7m 5d Gender: Male Posted 25/08/11 06:47 AM Posted 25/08/11 06:47 AM ok my first postI have a fg ute for work and the aerial is leaking (utes have an external aerial just above interior light cover not inbedded in rear screen), when it rains interior light cover fills up and drips out of the blue tooth micro phonehole. I can see that the aerial is a little loose as the rubber mount has slight gap underneath but cant get inside to see whats happening. I know how to remove the clear bulb covers but there is no way at getting to aerial to see if its easy to tighten. I have forced the roof liner up and can see two black clip looking things on either side of cover (passanger and drivers side) but cant get good enough gap to really see what needs to be done to unclip.ps. its out of warranty so cant just take back unfortunatlyany help would be appreaciated!
Rancidpunx Brisbanes Resident Detailer Legacy Donating Member 950 Member For: 17y 8m 11d Gender: Male Location: In my Cabin Outside Brisbane. Posted 25/08/11 08:06 AM Posted 25/08/11 08:06 AM You need to remove the whole roof lining to undo the lighting unit and get up to the aerial.Its a straight forward job and just a matter of removing a few screws and 2 clips. You will need to remove the grab handles, the sunvisors, the rear hooks, 2x push in clips, the A-pillar trim and the rear side window surrounds which also includes removing the upper seatbelt bolt. If I remember correctly you will need a philips head and a torque bit.
mick1378 Member 14 Member For: 15y 7m 5d Gender: Male Posted 25/08/11 08:18 AM Author Posted 25/08/11 08:18 AM thanx rancidpunxwas hopeing it would be easier than that but if that's how it is then so be it
Rancidpunx Brisbanes Resident Detailer Legacy Donating Member 950 Member For: 17y 8m 11d Gender: Male Location: In my Cabin Outside Brisbane. Posted 25/08/11 09:45 AM Posted 25/08/11 09:45 AM I forgot to mention you also have to remove the rear light. You have to squeeze the cover along to the 2 longest sides and it pops off. There are 2 screws under it.
bossmang FREAKY Legacy Donating Member 12,441 Member For: 16y 9m 6d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 25/08/11 12:13 PM Posted 25/08/11 12:13 PM gee that's some bad luck with the leak.im gonna check mine next time it rains or I wash the ute.if I was dodgy or really lazy, id just silicone around the aerial hahahahahha
mick1378 Member 14 Member For: 15y 7m 5d Gender: Male Posted 26/08/11 05:04 AM Author Posted 26/08/11 05:04 AM ok updateluckly didnt have to remove entire roof lining, partly because I didnt have a torx bit big enough for seat belt mount.So I managed to get away with just removing the 2 sunvisor clips these were held on with No. 25 torx screws (the 2 parts either side of light cover) I then pulled down the interior head lining at the front. I was able to get enough room to undo the 4 phillips head screws holding the light cover in place with a stubbie phillips screw driver. Then ewith light removed had acess to the nut holding aerial in place.I completely undid nut pulled aerial out from top cleaned around hole and put a blob of sika flex(a bit like silicon) just to give extra protection as it only relys on the rubber base of aerial to creat the seal, if nut comes loose again (was not overly loose to begin with) hopefully this will keep water out. then stuck it all back together again approx 20min work.
bossmang FREAKY Legacy Donating Member 12,441 Member For: 16y 9m 6d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 26/08/11 06:54 AM Posted 26/08/11 06:54 AM cheers for the heads up on how ya did it mick.will def keep on eye on mine.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now