aztech Member 22 Member For: 22y 10m 21d Posted 17/11/03 12:45 AM Posted 17/11/03 12:45 AM Hi all, I remember reading somewhere on here that the centre muffler has been changed from the baffled type (like the one Street Tuner would have removed in Zoom) to a straight thru type. If this is correct, would you still see the same benefit from removing it in post Mar03 cars?Cheers
100% Premium Donating Member Legacy Donating Member 641 Member For: 22y 11m 18d Gender: Male Location: If it says ONLINE below, in front of the computer, if not, tearin' up some bitumen! Posted 17/11/03 03:22 AM Posted 17/11/03 03:22 AM aztech, I don't have a dyno but I had mine removed last week and it certainly feel more free, and its sounds HEAPS better.
TURBO4LT Member 1,533 Member For: 23y 1m 20d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 17/11/03 03:34 AM Posted 17/11/03 03:34 AM Mines jun 2003 , I cant really see any improvement in power just louder.
Guest Guests Posted 17/11/03 05:55 AM Posted 17/11/03 05:55 AM Turbo4lt, have a look at youll soon see if it is straight through or not, my Jan build aint,one pipe enters top exit bottom,other pipe does the opposite, definatley aint straight through .Sounds right no more power just noise, so looks like March on builds arnt worth doing for power just sound.vik
Guest 56Mainline Guests Posted 17/11/03 06:37 AM Posted 17/11/03 06:37 AM I disagree, but only because of my results.Dyno'd before & after.+14rwkw at peak+ maximum 21rwkw in the mid-range.May 03 build.
TURBO4LT Member 1,533 Member For: 23y 1m 20d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 18/11/03 02:44 AM Posted 18/11/03 02:44 AM Vik351Yeah mines straight through, I still dont think its made any diff to power but maybe with further mods it will help ??
Guest Guests Posted 18/11/03 05:29 AM Posted 18/11/03 05:29 AM TURBO4LT,your bomb was probably louder than mine from stock, so c muff out, it probaly didnt sound much louder. My bomb when I started it,I thought holy sh!t Im in trouble now,SWMBO was away and would freak but the car was cold as ice and it was just the idleup, soon as it got to temp,beeuutifull.Driving home you could feel the extra power no prob,all down low. my kid drove and agreed more grunt down low,so mate Im bloody sure you would have noticed any gain.Then again your bomb probaly had more grunt than mine from stock cause of the Ford muff change.Shows up on dyno before and aft.will post it later.vik
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m 8d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 18/11/03 08:59 AM Posted 18/11/03 08:59 AM Hi Aztec.My T is a July build. I chopped out the centre muffler fitted a K & N and did the XR8 airbox mod and lost 20kW. Put a mandrel bent twin 2.5 inch stainless centre muffler back in and got only 10kW back again. Mate if it ain't broke don't fix it, they also sound like a Harvard bomber at high altitude without the muffler, and the FORD info Iv'e read says the standard system and standard cat will happily flow 350kW, just as the standard fuel pump will push 100 P.S.I so a lot of these bolt on bits are really just an un-neccesary expense unless you want 400kW. Hmmmm now theres something to ponder
Guest Guests Posted 19/11/03 12:46 AM Posted 19/11/03 12:46 AM Here is the before and after in normal mode not Shootout Mode
Guest Guests Posted 20/11/03 08:47 PM Posted 20/11/03 08:47 PM As you can see more grunt down low,quite noticeable,top end peters out a bit but that is bugger all.No avgas here in hicksville used BP 98, asked why my kws are so low compared to the eastern boys,he said he could give me higher if I want,you can fiddle it up.vik
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now