Twinpiston Member 133 Member For: 20y 4m Gender: Male Location: Brisvegas Posted 07/01/11 06:55 AM Posted 07/01/11 06:55 AM Hey all,Just looking at options as the next step of tuning for the territory.The stock system flows enough I think (twin 2 1/2's into single 3") so was just looking into the dump and cat options.Car has filter, F6 snorkel, debung and tune.After the exhaust side, I am looking at custom CAI and water to air intercooler, should I do this first?Also, I would assume I need a retune after the dump and cat ( I know I will after the intake.)Cheers
cobramad Member 824 Member For: 21y 2m 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 07/01/11 03:19 PM Posted 07/01/11 03:19 PM Hey Twin,The catalyst is the biggest restriction in the exhaust system. I have fitted a 5" Ballistic Cat with 3 1/3 ends into the standard system with it already debunged and it made a noticable difference, not only helping performance, but making the exhaust note much nicer and actually less burbly, especially at idle. You will get a fault code stating catalyst efficency fail, but that can be rectified when you get your tune re-done.Fitment of a decent cat should be the first port of call, and if you keep your standard dump, issues of overboosting, especially once you do your 'cooler and CAI, are greatly lessened, meaning that porting the wastegate will be not necessary. However, doing an aftermarket dump puts you firmly in that area..Just my experiences.. Hope it helps,Mal K
Twinpiston Member 133 Member For: 20y 4m Gender: Male Location: Brisvegas Posted 07/01/11 09:46 PM Author Posted 07/01/11 09:46 PM Sweet as Mal, ust what I was hoping for, did you have to flange the standard exhaust to fit the 3 1/2" cat ends?Also I had this tuned using an Xcal 2, will that be a problem with removing fault codes?Cheers
cobramad Member 824 Member For: 21y 2m 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 07/01/11 11:29 PM Posted 07/01/11 11:29 PM Hi Twin,I just got the exhaust guy to weld on a cone that takes the cat from 3 1/2 to 3" and merge it into the factory system. If you got a 3" flanged cat to begin with it would be an even simpler job. There is heaps of room under there even for a 5" body cat, I used that size as I got it for a good price and ran with what I had. Let me know how ya go..Mal K
Dyno Junkie Member 254 Member For: 19y 6m 13d Gender: Male Location: Ascot, Western Australia Posted 08/01/11 09:32 AM Posted 08/01/11 09:32 AM Hey Twin,The catalytic converter is the biggest restriction in the exhaust system. I have fitted a 5" Ballistic Cat with 3 1/3 ends into the standard system with it already debunged and it made a noticable difference, not only helping performance, but making the exhaust note much nicer and actually less burbly, especially at idle. You will get a fault code stating catalyst efficency fail, but that can be rectified when you get your tune re-done.Mal KVery wise words.I'm currently still running the factory cast dump pipe with a 3" metal cat.
mrmackie Legacy Donating Member 67 Member For: 19y 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth - CBD Posted 27/01/11 07:42 AM Posted 27/01/11 07:42 AM Hi Twin,I just got the exhaust guy to weld on a cone that takes the cat from 3 1/2 to 3" and merge it into the factory system. If you got a 3" flanged cat to begin with it would be an even simpler job. There is heaps of room under there even for a 5" body cat, I used that size as I got it for a good price and ran with what I had. Let me know how ya go..Mal KOhh Rhealy!? Thanks for the update Mal! lol just kidding, hope its going well for you mate and look forward to seeing how your beast runs
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now