Steering 'Grinding' Under Load

Turbo6FG

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Sounds like it's only happening under a heavy load.

Is it a constant sound ???... or Oscillating, as in like a wheel bearing noise ??? Or a groanish sound as the suspension loads up ???

An FG should not blow a wheel bearing so soon, but that does not mean it wont.

Upper control arm or radial bush perhaps ??? Sway bar mount ??? Splash panels all in place and secure ????

Love my Teins. They take ages to break in.... Had mine on for a year now and they are better then new. Once your over about 120kmp/h they start to work and at 160+ the ride is fantastic.

Edited by XR09

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 1m 27d

Not a groaning sound. It's quite constant, like a dentists drill but deeper. Ggggggggggggg & you get the vibration thru the steering wheel.

Dunno about the Fords but when the wheel bearing went on my old mans SR5 Hilux it was more of a deep rumble than what this sounds like. That was woobawoobawooba. (like 50 cent doin da rap)

Lol I hope nobody reads this post out loud. Everyone will think they've been on the cones with all the noises.roflmbo.gif

• The Cleaning Dudes Ute
  • Member For: 18y 17d

I had a similar problem with my BF.

Turned out one of my swaybar links were bent and caused the swaybar to lean towards the passenger side disk.

On full load it would rub up against it. In the end I replaced both swaybar links with upgraded ones to THEN find out the swaybar I bought off the forums was bent lol. Changed that also and problem solved.

Hope that helps...

Does it happen both sides or only one?

I reckon you are on to something Jman. It does it both ways but worse turning left. Lol maybe they are both bent.

Sounds like a trip to WA Suspensions is needed.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Just noticed you have 19 x 9 on the front. How did you get them in there ??? lol

I am running 19 x 8.5 with a 245 front and it misses the upper control arm bolt by 3.5mm. Turn you wheel to the right and stick your head in behind the left wheel and see if there are rub marks.

Here's a pic to show you where I mean.

post-33767-12874600002_thumb.jpg post-33767-12874600027_thumb.jpg

It was a tight squeeze but they managed it. They had to go from 255 down to 245 tyres as the 255 juuuust touched on the control arm. I have about the same amount of room as you've got there.

I checked the rim (couldn't actually get my head behind there even with the wheel fully locked round so I felt the edge of the tyre & rim & stuck the camera in & took a few pics). There is no sign of wear/scraping on the rim or tyre edge. It also did the same thing with my old rims (eBay dark argents) so it's gotta be something else.

Thinking about it, it's actually got quite a bit worse since I first noticed it a few months back. It was quite rare then, now it happens all the time.bangcomputer.gif

Think I've finally found the problem. With the 4" dump coming off the turbo it's pushing the heat shielding out about 1mm away from the steering column. It's just close enough so that when there's a bit of g-force on the car it flaps a bit & starts wobbling (it's probably only got about 5mm give so just enough to make a noise). The heat shielding is still wrapped around the turbo properly so it's not a serious problem luckily, just an annoying one.

Might have to tighten it up somehow & see if it's fixed it.