Redback Banned 236 Member For: 17y 3m 28d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown NSW Posted 05/11/10 10:46 PM Posted 05/11/10 10:46 PM You guys are aware that you can pull the idler pulley off and repack the bearing with a bit of grease or squirt some oil in the bearing. This costs you $ 0.00 and will last you probably another 50,000kms +. As long as the bearing cages or balls haven't worn they have simply dried up a bit. Just pry the bearing seal up using a small driver and repack.
EvilDaifu Cruise Whore Moderating Team 5,130 Member For: 21y 2m 4d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 05/11/10 11:28 PM Author Posted 05/11/10 11:28 PM Hey redback, sounds like a good idea. Anyway, the part number that came out of my car has stamped on the pulley "NTN 6203LH JAPAN" I don't know what the Ford part number is nor the part number that was put in my car as a replacement - just know the replacement cost $25 supplied new.Here's a pic of the one that came out of my car.
bjcrown Legacy Donating Member 182 Member For: 20y 11m 21d Posted 06/11/10 01:44 AM Posted 06/11/10 01:44 AM Edit: The "pulley arm" I am talking about I think is actually called Belt Tensioner. I think Dayco makes it???? Anyway, does anyone have the part number by any chance???Thanks.Would anyone know the part number of the idle pully?Is this part known as the "pully arm"? If different would anyone know the part number of this also?
rule1110 Member 71 Member For: 18y 5m 8d Posted 08/11/10 02:27 AM Posted 08/11/10 02:27 AM You guys are aware that you can pull the idler pulley off and repack the bearing with a bit of grease or squirt some oil in the bearing. This costs you $ 0.00 and will last you probably another 50,000kms +. As long as the bearing cages or balls haven't worn they have simply dried up a bit. Just pry the bearing seal up using a small driver and repack.Is it hard to pull off the pulley and put it back on? Mine squeaks as well and I've been wanting to fix it for ages but don't know the process for pulling it off and putting it back on. Any tips would be great
EvilDaifu Cruise Whore Moderating Team 5,130 Member For: 21y 2m 4d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 08/11/10 11:04 AM Author Posted 08/11/10 11:04 AM Here's something out of the manual - not sure if it is helpful - caveat emptor.
Redback Banned 236 Member For: 17y 3m 28d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown NSW Posted 08/11/10 12:16 PM Posted 08/11/10 12:16 PM Is it hard to pull off the pulley and put it back on? Mine squeaks as well and I've been wanting to fix it for ages but don't know the process for pulling it off and putting it back on. Any tips would be great Undo the tensioner using a 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar. Undo the bolt in the middle of the pulley and pull it off. That's it. Use a small flat blade and pry off the rubber seal on the front of the bearing and pack with some bearing grease. Don't forget you can also do that to the pulley on the tensioner.
rule1110 Member 71 Member For: 18y 5m 8d Posted 09/11/10 12:34 AM Posted 09/11/10 12:34 AM Undo the tensioner using a 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar. Undo the bolt in the middle of the pulley and pull it off. That's it. Use a small flat blade and pry off the rubber seal on the front of the bearing and pack with some bearing grease. Don't forget you can also do that to the pulley on the tensioner.Sounds easy enough, I might give it a crack. Should be simple to replace the belt at the same time I'm guessing?
rule1110 Member 71 Member For: 18y 5m 8d Posted 09/11/10 07:25 AM Posted 09/11/10 07:25 AM Anyone know where I can order the idle pulley bearing online? I pulled it off and repacked it but the seals on the bearing were all cracked and breaking up. Little bits of plastic where falling off everywhere. I put it back together but I want to replace it for a new if its only $25. Picked up the belt from supercheap for $50. Gonna chuck that on with a new bearing. How long does a belt usually last? I just thought I would replace because its done 100K and is 7 years old now.
EvilDaifu Cruise Whore Moderating Team 5,130 Member For: 21y 2m 4d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 09/11/10 08:53 AM Author Posted 09/11/10 08:53 AM Well you are welcome to have a go at repacking the bearings on my old one if you want. I didn't open it but there weren't bits of plastic everywhere on mine
rule1110 Member 71 Member For: 18y 5m 8d Posted 09/11/10 09:33 AM Posted 09/11/10 09:33 AM I think I'm just gonna head to repco tomorrow and see what their prices are like, usually pretty good. Might replace the tensioner pulley as well if its around $25.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now