Spooling Sound

AJJ

• Member For: 16y 6m 18d

Well, had a look at the back of the engine couldn't see any hoses lose, haven't got a boost guage hooked up to be able to see what boost is doing.

Had it Ford service and they still say all is o.k, but they really don't seem to like investigating causes to issues unless the computer tells them there is a problem.

Could a car that is standard start making more boost ?

Am getting the nice tutu noise from the blow off on throttle lift off, could this indicate that the blow off is now venting to atmosphere ?

The car only has 50000 on it so don't know the turbo would be on the way out?

Once again I do like the noise , just trying to investigate why there now appeared.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 4d

Tututu means the gas isn't getting out fast enough - blocked BOV possibly which is my theory about mine starting to make the noise too.

I'd think if it was venting to atmo it'd be more pshhht style.

Edited by -SteveR-

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 9d

Your wastegate could be getting stuck partially closed or you might have a hole in the actuator diaphragm...sometimes this will allow the car to boost harder and will make the blow off valve sound louder...and in some cases you still might be under the boost cut out limit of around 9psi I think it is...hook up a boost gauge and check the psi

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 4d

My turbo is faulty but Ford haven't told me exactly how yet (though my tuner heard it grinding when being spun by hand). I wonder if one of those might have been my problem when it started?

• Member For: 14y 3d

Is this the one that goes into the Rocker Cover ? The little breather looking device with a tube that runs down to the intake manifold ?

Pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete, I believe that that's an oil breather, similar to ones in Hondas. Im thinking it the one you can see as soon as you open the engine bay?

AJJ, I talked to another mate, and I may be something to do with your waste-gate. Also, if you've just gotten a new Air box panel filter, it may just be letting in more air as its clean, thus the waste-gate won't release quickly enough, thus you get the 'tututu'.

By the way, if the sound is a 'chuuuu' that's not your waste-gate.

When you open the engine bay, and you cant actually see any hoses loose, just listen for a small vacuum sound. If you can hear it, well obviously a hose it loose :D

In the end, it shouldn't do any real damage, so ive been told by a mate of mine who used to work on BA's and BF's.

Ive attached a picture with what I think Pete is talking about, and where the vacuum hose is that I mentioned in my first post. Its tucked right in behind the intake, and its quite hard to get to.

Gypo.

post-40194-127745821148_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 14y 10m 13d

in the circle is your eng breather hose,the arrow points to the bov...

if the breather hose comes loose it will make the spool noise louder but prob not too much as the hole is soo small,and youd notice a little bit of oil spray in the general area..

did you just have the car serviced?

if so id go with the theory that its just coz you got a new air filter..

Gypo-that's a dame clean eng bay mate,good to see some people are fussy about their car like I am with mine..

:icon_ford:

Thanks Gypo, very helpful replys.

The spooling noise I refer to is the rushing air/ whistle when it comes on boost which has been getting louder, and lifting off the throttle on fast gear changes you get the ''chuuu'' or sneeze common for a turbo car.

car is definately going better by seat of the pants feel.

Funny you mention the panel filter, the spooling noise has been getting gradually louder over time but I never had the " chuuu"

2 weeks back, it had a ford serive and they replaced the factory filter panel and this is about when the " chuuu" started.

Will have to get a boost guage hooked up as mentioned to see properly.

Is there a way I could check the waste gate myself.

• Member For: 14y 3d

AJJ,

No idea how to check the waste gate :D sorry I cant help you there.

And dustyn, that's not my engine bay :D I quickly got it off the net. But ive got 170000 on the clock, and its still pretty clean! Makes a difference when you pop the hood though, and its clean as a whistle.

Gypo

• Member For: 14y 8m 27d

Is this the one that goes into the Rocker Cover ? The little breather looking device with a tube that runs down to the intake manifold ?

Pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete, I believe that that's an oil breather, similar to ones in Hondas. Im thinking it the one you can see as soon as you open the engine bay?

AJJ, I talked to another mate, and I may be something to do with your waste-gate. Also, if you've just gotten a new Air box panel filter, it may just be letting in more air as its clean, thus the waste-gate won't release quickly enough, thus you get the 'tututu'.

By the way, if the sound is a 'chuuuu' that's not your waste-gate.

When you open the engine bay, and you cant actually see any hoses loose, just listen for a small vacuum sound. If you can hear it, well obviously a hose it loose :D

In the end, it shouldn't do any real damage, so ive been told by a mate of mine who used to work on BA's and BF's.

Ive attached a picture with what I think Pete is talking about, and where the vacuum hose is that I mentioned in my first post. Its tucked right in behind the intake, and its quite hard to get to.

Gypo.

post-40194-127745821148_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the efforts with your post mate... Mine is the FG Turbo so slightly different set up to the earlier models ey.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Well have finally found, where the noise was coming from, was checking under the bonnet toady and the rubber joiner from the turbo to crossover has a tear along the bottom edge with the pipe just sitting there.

Has been in to Ford that many times complaining about this, and they keep saying that all connections where checked

Must off had a small hole , and has finally let go.

been to all auto shops to find a silicon replacement, but no luck.

does anyone have a aftermarket replacement p/n they have used?

have heard stories on here, about cars which where losing boost, and when fixed the computer is still suppling more boost to compensate for the leak. and then causing trouble by boosting the engine more then it should.

How long does it take the computer to re-adjust.

thanks