Spooling Sound

AJJ

• Member For: 16y 6m 19d

Hope someone can tell me whats going on

Have a BF XR6T manual ute, factory standard.

For the past month or so I have been clearly able to hear the turbo spooling,

which has been getting louder. could not before was factory quite.

Have check all the hoses and there all on tight, also had a service at ford and they said they check all the hoses and there o.k.

Was told they checked against other's in the yard and sounds within limits, which I find hard to believe.

Now starting this week , I can clearly hear the blow off valve like an aftermarket one on gear changes or when backing off.

sounds for all the world likes its had a tune, but I know it has'nt.

Is there a reason a standard car would start making more boost?

While I like the sounds its now making, id like to know why its now making them when before it was quite as.

Does seem to be going better now, which I had put down to the cold weather.

Has anyone else had a standard Xrt, suddenly become vocal.

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 3d

Hey AJJ,

At the top of your engine, nearest the windscreen, on the back of the black part, labelled "Turbo Intercooled", there's a little tube that acts as a natural sort of blow off. If u take it off the nipple, you start to get the blow off sound, which is the turbine cutting up the excess air which isnt being recycled by that piping. Ive been told by several mechanics that there is no damage to the turbine, and if u want to get rid of the sound, the hose needs to be securely on the nipple.

I found out about this when I got my car back from service. Sometimes they forget to reattach the little vacuum hose.

Personally I quite like the sound, gives it a little bit of oomph when your driving. Ive been driving for a couple of weeks with the hose off, and whenever people hear it, they smile and comment on it.

Hope this helps!

P.s. My first post :P

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 14d

Gypo you've been more helpful in one post than most forum members in over 100 :beerchug:

Anyway welcome mate, and AJJ don't be complaining that your car sounds good now :biggun:

Edited by bradles024

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 4d

Mine started the tututu sound after I changed a fuel filter of all things. The whistle was always there.

I put it down to this on my ZF auto though:

RPMandPSI1stto3rdgearto135Kmh.png

Spikes to 9PSI at gear change. If I change to 3rd under boost and let off throttle it is pretty noticeable.

Could be the blow off valve not venting fast enough, possibly seizing up. I've never had mine checked. Logged this data the other day with my XCAL3.

Edited by -SteveR-

• Member For: 16y 6m 19d

Thanks fella's

Yer definately not complaining about the noise its now making, just wasn't sure if it was now making more boost then it should and not being tuned may be causing damaged.

The car is definately going harder, but this may be the good noises making it seem like it is.

don't get me wrong I do like it. just don't want to be hurting it .

Will look at the nipple when I get home

• Member For: 14y 8m 27d

Hey AJJ,

At the top of your engine, nearest the windscreen, on the back of the black part, labelled "Turbo Intercooled", there's a little tube that acts as a natural sort of blow off. If u take it off the nipple, you start to get the blow off sound, which is the turbine cutting up the excess air which isnt being recycled by that piping. Ive been told by several mechanics that there is no damage to the turbine, and if u want to get rid of the sound, the hose needs to be securely on the nipple.

I found out about this when I got my car back from service. Sometimes they forget to reattach the little vacuum hose.

Personally I quite like the sound, gives it a little bit of oomph when your driving. Ive been driving for a couple of weeks with the hose off, and whenever people hear it, they smile and comment on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this the one that goes into the Rocker Cover ? The little breather looking device with a tube that runs down to the intake manifold ?

Pete

Edited by o2sucka

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 4d

Sure is - getting replaced by Ford!!

I'll ask them what they reckon happened.