Banned1 Banned Banned 734 Member For: 16y 16d Gender: Male Location: Caloundra Posted 18/09/10 12:09 PM Posted 18/09/10 12:09 PM thought I would add to this as I drove both in the last couple of days... I would have the auto on the FG every day for normal driving but preferred the feel of the manual for control of when off throttle and my general driving habits (brits love manuals)....doesnt seem to run on like the auto but by far, the best auto I have ever driven ! but this was on 2010 fg xr6t
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 1d Gender: Male Posted 19/09/10 11:55 PM Posted 19/09/10 11:55 PM I dont like the manual when trying to drive smoothly and quietly through traffic. But get me on a winding road and maaaaaaaannnnn no auto box could ever match that level of fun. The auto guys just pretend that pressing some buttons with a stick is the same sort of control.I like that I can feel the gearbox and engine in my hand, that with the steering feeback and excellent mal wood opt 3 clutch. You cant get any better for spirited driving.
Impellor Member 835 Member For: 16y 2m 8d Gender: Not Telling Posted 20/09/10 01:36 AM Posted 20/09/10 01:36 AM Hi all, preference is a manual. The ZF is no doubt a great box, but is expensive to maintain and repair. The tr6060 and t56 boxes are incredibly strong,and require less maintence/servicing. Manual, box is easier on brakes. But here is the kicker, most forms of advertising and car mags state that auto is more fuel efficent, however it you go on the ford website and go into specifications, ford state fuel efficency for (FG) auto at 12.6 litres/100kms , manual is stated at 12.3, cheers.
BarKer Member 174 Member For: 17y 10d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 21/09/10 10:35 AM Posted 21/09/10 10:35 AM I went for the ZF.. Once a week or so I wish I had a manual.. But I know that if I had the manual, then once a day I wished I had the Auto..
Banned1 Banned Banned 734 Member For: 16y 16d Gender: Male Location: Caloundra Posted 21/09/10 11:34 AM Posted 21/09/10 11:34 AM I work locally and the roads round here are all twisty and she works 40k away down the highway and no traffic jams normally this far north of brissy unless someone crashes so no real need for an auto... but smooth town driving, the auto is by far the winner but as seduced says so well, the manual is so involving and rewarding when being driven properly , something an auto can never do for me in tighter twisty roads or anythign other than slow traffic !
F16 Member 78 Member For: 16y 7m 27d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 21/09/10 02:08 PM Posted 21/09/10 02:08 PM With a manual you're going to need to upgrade to a better clutch as even with stock power they don't last long with "spirited" driving. Then there's the associated complaints manual owners have regarding diff clunk/lash which you don't get in auto's. You're more likely to bust a CV with a manual aswell.
rad Legacy Donating Member 48 Member For: 20y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: NZ Posted 21/09/10 08:19 PM Posted 21/09/10 08:19 PM like it has been said it comes down to personal preference.auto's are quicker,but then 99% of the time I'm not racing anyone and if your going to the track to drag race then auto would be best for you.my phoon with a manual just feels(to me) to be more racey or race car like than the auto's I have driven.but in saying all that if I lived in the city with traffic jams every day I'd have a auto.(the phoon plus a daily driver )
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 1d Gender: Male Posted 21/09/10 11:26 PM Posted 21/09/10 11:26 PM Once a week or so I wish I had a manual.. But I know that if I had the manual, then once a day I wished I had the Auto..This is very true if you live in a city. If you live where there are sweeping bends, no traffic lights, no police, no traffic and all that power under your foot, its only when you are in traffic do you wish you had the auto.
nang3 12" member Legacy Donating Member 2,107 Member For: 21y 3m 4d Location: Perth WA Posted 22/09/10 12:13 AM Posted 22/09/10 12:13 AM I've been tossin up this same question.. I've always been a manual driver and only owned one auto back in 1995... my F6 was manual and I did love it and im currently looking for an FG XR6T ute probably with ZF as im doing 500-700kms a week for work.. auto seems the logical choice in terms of traffic and slackability after a days work plus the non F6 utes would need a decent clutch after a bit of abuse.. but on the other side I dont want to regret choosing the auto as I love the clutch control of a manual, tapping the clutch to get it sideways, chirping 2nd gear, plus those lovely BOV sounds etc haha...
Carl Spike Thompson Member 26 Member For: 14y 10m 20d Posted 13/11/11 11:39 PM Posted 13/11/11 11:39 PM hey all wat does a bf 6speed sit at 100km??I have had auto n manual in the cars I have owned and while owning a auto I would always say damm I wish I had a manual but auto is really great for them long trips and cruising but like how hard is it to change gears gees are we all getting lazy?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now