Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I will be receiving my xr6 NA next week and I wasnt told that LSD wasnt standard. Its too late to put it on. I was just wondering what I am actually missing out on (besides the turbo). I know how it works, but how different is it to drive. Would you notice that you dont have LSD.

Guest EXR24T
  • Guests
Posted

Yes , because you'll only have one bald rear tyre !! " go the single spinner ".

all the best, timmy

Guest HocuSChrisT
  • Guests
Posted

Actualy, since the N/A won't lay down the black stuff like a turbo, it's probably not gonna make much difference to you. And let's face it tyres aren't cheap, and you wouldn't go doing proper burnouts without a trusty 9" Diff anyhow. I don't think you'll notice it, you should get quite good traction as it is. Goodluck with the car mate.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 6d
Posted

all you have to do is swing the steering wheel from left to right and you may be able to do snakeys.

In every day driving I find a car with no lsd is easier to drive but start pushing it and you will notice the differance.

Guest Mr Walker
  • Guests
Posted

Mate, when you want to fling it into a corner sideways and power up the road it's just not going to happen and will feel sh!thouse.

You need LSD to have fun!

The diff in the car will probably whine (like everyone else's - I've had mine replaced twice) so complain about it and pay them to throw in an LSD while they're at it.

  • Weird Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 8d
  • Location: ACT
Posted

igsta welcome to the blue place...I used to have a Starion turbo to which I fitted an LSD.

It had Koni shocks and good tyres etc as well as a big intercooler and exhaust...

Before the LSD it would handle very nicely, get it right on sweeping bends and you could litteraly steer it on the throttle, a bit more acceleration and it would turn tighter, back off and it would corner normally. Great fun.

The only down side, nail it hard on tight bends or small roundabouts and the inside wheel just smoked up, and you lost road speed.

So I put and LSD in and you could always get the power to the ground, but go hard on a corner and it would understeer.

The LSD gave the car a slight tendancy to go straight ahead rather than the neutral handling the it had originally. Truth be known I preffered it without .

I think the XR6 would be heavy enough to be drivable without it, until it rained anyway.... either way its too late for you to change it now.

Now an XR6T without an LSD would be scary, too much grunt for 2 tyres let alone one. :D

Guest Mr Walker
  • Guests
Posted

YCL,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Starion FWD?

If so how can this be relevant? A FWD turbo will gice you torque steer as well so I don't know how you can compare.

If you nail an N/A hard enough going 'round a corner it will just light up the rear wheel in a straight line and lose speed.

  • Weird Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 8d
  • Location: ACT
Posted

Mr Walker You Are Wrong! :nugget:

Starion RWD which is why it dominated production car racing in its time. But enough of that or I will get chased away from here....accused of being a ricer. Which I am not..... I hope. :lol:

Perhaps you are thinking of the Cordia. :thumbsup:

Guest Mr Walker
  • Guests
Posted

Yeah, I was wrong. That's why I said correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

I always thought they were RWD until I heard Mike Raymond commentating during Bathurst one year about a Starion that was completely sideways and he said he was amazed it could do that as it was FWD! I thought he was wrong then but took his word for it - shouldn't have.

  • Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: BrisVegas
Posted

YCL,

Methinks your LSD in the Starion may have been set up incorrectly.

A little too much friction in the clutch plates. This can be done on some types of LSD and then you almost end up with the characteristics of a locked diff.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...