qikin71 Member 60 Member For: 17y 2m 17d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 14/03/10 01:02 PM Posted 14/03/10 01:02 PM (edited) Hi guysAwhile ago I fitted a PWR trans cooler, 280 x 255 x 19 behind the spoiler in front of the RHS wheel.I couldn't fit it behind the ic so here was the next best place.I have already had the 4spd rebuilt so fitting of a trans cooler was mandatory and peace of mind.Yesterday I fitted a 10' fan and a thermo switch to the cooler to help keep it cool.I am not sure exactly what temp the thermo switches the fan on, but the fluid is hot. It runs continously and switches off after about a minute once the engine is switched off.Air is pushed out through a cutout in front of the wheel in the plastic guard.The fan I bought was just a chepo from supercheap and the thermo switch is a Davies Craig 0402 from Bursons.The brackets to hold the trans cooler are made from some scrap aluminium tube.I have included some photos below.Trans cooler supported with 3 brackets like this. Top one coming from under battery.Air flow out.Control wiring in engine bay next to battery. Relay fuse and thermo for easy acces and adjustment.Mesh from supercheap.If you plan on doing this, get a good fan, like a SPAL curved blade that flows more. The one I have is a little noisy and probably, more like doesn't, flow anywhere near enough as a curved blade would.Cheer's Edited 14/03/10 01:07 PM by qikin71
qikin71 Member 60 Member For: 17y 2m 17d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 14/03/10 01:42 PM Author Posted 14/03/10 01:42 PM O.K couldn't edit again so heres another important note to add.Because an install mounted in the guard doesn't get the same airflow as one mounted on the radiator which gets direct airflow and engine thermo fans to help cool, it is imperative to add a fan as there is bugger all airflow in the spoiler. The trans cooler just acts as a big heat sink and doesn't disapate enough heat to effectively cool on its own.Cheer's
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 10m 24d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 14/03/10 03:45 PM Posted 14/03/10 03:45 PM Appreciate the pics mate
Wenier Legacy Donating Member 1,736 Member For: 16y 8m 15d Gender: Male Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Posted 14/03/10 10:58 PM Posted 14/03/10 10:58 PM I would also suggest making a shroud to go on the cooler and around the fan(making it a ducted fan), this also makes an amazing improvement to the airflow from any fan.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now