Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • There's a thin line between a wild time and a flat line.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Nsw border.
Posted (edited)

changes can be made,I dont want to unless I have to to save the motor.

just thinking that the boost is at 10 psi for 98 octane and originally was for a f6 cold air and k&n panel now the wastegate duration has been lowered to 72% to keep the boost at 10psi

if I had not changed the wastegate duration I could be seeing upwards of 20 psi at a guess.not willing to try.

was using the capa flash as a boost controller only now im wondering what the other inputs are like.

the wastegate duration was at 92% from memory when I got the controller so I would imagine the global spark or the individual spark groups would be at a reading higher than 0% it can go up %'s or down %'s.probably all the way to +100 and -100.

Edited by tab
Quote removed
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 22d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

have you thought about getting your car on the dyno to check out what this generic tune is like? could be cheap insurance until you get a custom tune.

  • There's a thin line between a wild time and a flat line.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Nsw border.
Posted

that's the next plan.am trying to source an inspection.have 3 dyno guys in town,one uses his for servicing old carby setups and says his equipments not up to par, one ran a dyno comp and told me that with the dump k&n panel and 10psi capa (not real flash(taking the piss out of it :spoton: ))flash tuner,after 3 runs that it ran 36 kw shy of the factory output even though the power is obviously there since my mrs' standard one gets eaten by it, so im a bit stand offish with him, then theres option 3 a setup that has seen more pistons exit motors than ive seen cooked dinners...

im keen to talk to places in wagga, shep... and get someone who knows how to work one...

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: OZ
Posted (edited)

You need a baseline to work off, as you can't set timing just modify what's already loaded. SO you need data to see where you're at. You need to use Livelink (free software...go to the Herrod website) and log directly to a laptop. Log wide open throttle:

- SPARK ADVANCE

- LOAD

- RPM

It will be tuned in open loop boost control so also log:

- MAP (MANIFOLD_ABPRES)

- BAP (BARO_PRESSURE)

You will need to open the csv file and make a formula in a column to calculate boost in PSI. The formula is = (MAP-BAP)/2.04

.....or just post the csv file and people on here can comment.

Do a 3rd gear flat out run, BUT personally I think you're playing with fire since your boost pressure will be above 10psi which means your AFR's will be leaned out. You really need a wideband to start doing this stuff.

Edit: if you have a built 4sp DO NOT touch the gearbox settings.....if the generic has modified line pressures etc, then this ain't good!

Edited by IH8TOADS
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: OZ
Posted

Oh before logging Add 4% WOT fuel, remove 10% from the turbo wastegate (if you have been granted access) and remove 2 degree from 2000-4000rpm and 3 degrees above 4000rpm. This will make it 'safer' providing you're boost is not so high as too max the injectors out. LISTEN carefully for detonantion and run the highest octane fuel available...95 ron absolute no no. Good luck and do this at your own risk!

  • There's a thin line between a wild time and a flat line.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Nsw border.
Posted

You need a baseline to work off, as you can't set timing just modify what's already loaded. SO you need data to see where you're at. You need to use Livelink (free software...go to the Herrod website) and log directly to a laptop. Log wide open throttle:

- SPARK ADVANCE

- LOAD

- RPM

It will be tuned in open loop boost control so also log:

- MAP (MANIFOLD_ABPRES)

- BAP (BARO_PRESSURE)

You will need to open the csv file and make a formula in a column to calculate boost in PSI. The formula is = (MAP-BAP)/2.04

.....or just post the csv file and people on here can comment.

Do a 3rd gear flat out run, BUT personally I think you're playing with fire since your boost pressure will be above 10psi which means your AFR's will be leaned out. You really need a wideband to start doing this stuff.

Edit: if you have a built 4sp DO NOT touch the gearbox settings.....if the generic has modified line pressures etc, then this ain't good!

sweet,so - the gearbox doesnt need tweaking then, oh yeah the fuel maps I posted are off a wide band air fuel gauge called an innovate motorsport unit from rocket industries its a mates one that he uses on his f6 and track toys.

so what do you use to link the laptop to the vehicle? do I connect the capa flash 2 via the obd and interface the laptop by connecting to the flash controller through the data transfer port or is there a plug I have to get my hands on?

  • There's a thin line between a wild time and a flat line.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Nsw border.
Posted

Oh before logging Add 4% WOT fuel, remove 10% from the turbo wastegate (if you have been granted access) and remove 2 degree from 2000-4000rpm and 3 degrees above 4000rpm. This will make it 'safer' providing you're boost is not so high as too max the injectors out. LISTEN carefully for detonantion and run the highest octane fuel available...95 ron absolute no no. Good luck and do this at your own risk!

ref: add 4 % wot fuel...is that on top of what I currently have? people were saying that my wot 3rd gear pull was bordering on bore wash?

ref: remove 10% from turbo wastegate...I have given the mrs my k&n panel and have fitted a k&n pod (only because its cfm was the same as the panel and I have all the cleaning and oiling products for it) because it was $55 to the panels 100+ price tag.now since ive fitted this ive started checking the tune out.today I adjusted the wastegate up till there was no more adjustment(on the flash tuner)and it still only makes 9psi? I think the factory ebc has s**t itself finally,it was making this annoying ticking noise like an injector for ages and now this...it still ticks,but I cant get my boost back up to 10... :beerchug: so I may have to sort that out before moving on to this step.

ref: 95ron... the capa guys told me I have to run 98 with this tune any way so alls good in this department...ive been using bp98 as they waffle on so it sounds like im doing good things for my motor by using it...its probsbly all wank that their dribbling but theyve suckered me in for now. :fool:

and its ok man I dont plan on riskin my car-its my baby!so if I dont feel safe ill pull out.haha the way I see it is if I put the safety of my car atop of my agenda it means me and my passengers are safe...oh god that was cheesy...sorry bud,just wanted you to know im not a loose cannon on the roads.thanks for the care point. :fishin:

so any thoughts on the ebc(electronic boost controller)?its had me stonkered for ages...boost runs smoothly at around8.5-9 but I cant wind it back up to 10 at the moment...the wastegate setting on the controller is maxed at 9??? :fool: im stuck there...

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: OZ
Posted (edited)

ref: add 4 % wot fuel...is that on top of what I currently have? people were saying that my wot 3rd gear pull was bordering on bore wash?

ref: remove 10% from turbo wastegate...I have given the mrs my k&n panel and have fitted a k&n pod (only because its cfm was the same as the panel and I have all the cleaning and oiling products for it) because it was $55 to the panels 100+ price tag.now since ive fitted this ive started checking the tune out.today I adjusted the wastegate up till there was no more adjustment(on the flash tuner)and it still only makes 9psi? I think the factory ebc has s**t itself finally,it was making this annoying ticking noise like an injector for ages and now this...it still ticks,but I cant get my boost back up to 10... :footinmouth: so I may have to sort that out before moving on to this step.

ref: 95ron... the capa guys told me I have to run 98 with this tune any way so alls good in this department...ive been using bp98 as they waffle on so it sounds like im doing good things for my motor by using it...its probsbly all wank that their dribbling but theyve suckered me in for now. :fool:

and its ok man I dont plan on riskin my car-its my baby!so if I dont feel safe ill pull out.haha the way I see it is if I put the safety of my car atop of my agenda it means me and my passengers are safe...oh god that was cheesy...sorry bud,just wanted you to know im not a loose cannon on the roads.thanks for the care point. :spoton:

so any thoughts on the ebc(electronic boost controller)?its had me stonkered for ages...boost runs smoothly at around8.5-9 but I cant wind it back up to 10 at the moment...the wastegate setting on the controller is maxed at 9??? :fool: im stuck there...

Yeah sorry mate, I remember now you did log afr's in another thread. Please post the results here for comment. If you're worried about bore wash then use the flash2 to lean off the WOT fuel....no harm in doing this if you have the LM-1 or LM-2 wideband. Just do a WOT 3rd gear log and post the csv file from the card.

When you do a custom tune on these cars you normally command the wastgate at 100% up untill say 2500rpm and then reduce the duty cycle from there. With the flash2 the % change to the wastegate duty cycle table is a 'global' change so if you reduce the % then you will be also running lower duty cycle below 2500rpm. This will lead to the wastegate solenoid making a ticking sound. Idle the car and then listen for the ticking near the battery. There's nothing you can do about it when using the flash2...some cars will also do it with the wastegate at 100% at low RPM, in this case the only way to resolve it is with a stronger actuator.

If the wastegate dutycyle is below 100% at low RPM, you will also find that your car is very lazy getting on boost and your AFR's with be rich at WOT low RPM and will then lean off higher in the RPM's.

You will need a USB A-B cable to connect the flash2 to the laptop. You need to do some logging using livelink and record AFR's with the LM-1(2) at the same time and post the results. Specifically tou need to plot boost, spark and load against rpm.

Hope this helps

EDIT: note that this tune with run open loop boost control meaning that there is no feedback and reference to barometric pressure. If you have a pod sitting in the nice hot engine bay air then this could...stress could!....lead to less psi being recived in the manifold. With a closed loop system the an boost error function would be used by the PCM to command more duty cycle to bring boost upto what is desired. In your case the only way to get more boost (besides check all hose connections!) is to drive when it's cold or cool the system down!

Edited by IH8TOADS
  • 2 months later...
  • There's a thin line between a wild time and a flat line.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Nsw border.
Posted

afr's: - (lets say lambda is ^)

8psi warm day.

idle 14.6 @ 1^

rev 12.8 @ 1^

slow accel to 60 15.1 @ 1.02^

cruise at 50 14.6 @ 1.01^

cruise at 60 14.7 @ 1.02^

hard accel to 110 (as low as) 11.2 (holds at) 11.6 @ 0.78^

cruise at 100 14.6 @ 1^

medium accel to 110 14.5 @ 0.96^

2500rpm in 2nd 14.6 @ 1^

2500rpm in 3rd 14.6 @ 1^

3rd gear 2500rpm to redline 11.2 @ 0.79

2nd gear 2500rpm to redline 10.9 @ 0.75

  • There's a thin line between a wild time and a flat line.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Nsw border.
Posted

yeah, it seems the boost control is global, had to laugh - a mate disconnected the vacuum line from the turb to the ebc and is using a boost tap and wound up 14 psi! the guys a nut case! the sensor has to be plugged in otherwise the ecu cracks the sh*ts but when its connected its not recieving anything from the turb as it has no air from the turb its just picking up ambient air... what a crack head! :buttrock: anyway I had planned to test mine against his but that's useless at a guess. does seem slow off the start anyway.

also you may see I have been posting up about fitting my new cooler, a hdi setup 580x210x100.it makes the 2000rpm point noticeable with a loss of traction...sit there brake on - brake off and mat the pedal - takes off - 2-2500rpm wheel spin...etc.noticeable slug start now! :Doh:

yes, that's the tick, even when you turn the key (pre start) will hev to get the actuator and injectors when it goes in for its tune.

couldnt get the program to work on the mrs laptop, I may just be non compatable with her computer but mine is a desktop, so im s**t out of luck there now.

pod is now in the factory airbox with the front cut out-trimmed the airbox out pipe to fit a 3 inch piece of pipe through it-fitted the pod to the pipe in the box with a full base-cut the front out of the box and half the airbox in pipe so it acts like a scoop for air from the front of the car.

had a quick boost adjustment due to change of temp up here and am now running 10.2psi. fixed itself somehow...? :icon_ford: damn ghosts!

am I filling in the blanks slowly...sorry mate,wish we were talking 1 on 1 I could do things a bit quicker for ya that way.

all in all though the car is working nicely at current...

thanks for your help through this mate, I just over worry things and as I was saying knocking the boost down I fear may f**k with the tune that capa sent out, you know you dont just wind up boost,you wind up boost bring up fuel adjust timing...where I have been taking boost out and nothing else...I just want to make sure my toy is going to screw up on me now ive gotten to here.(did that make sense...?)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...