dashturbo Legacy Donating Member 280 Member For: 18y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Watsonia Posted 09/12/09 07:13 AM Posted 09/12/09 07:13 AM Hey Guys,I have an FG from August 08, I always had annoying wind noise from the drivers side, thought it was the door seals/windows seals... however I found that with 2 inches of electrical tape I could get rid of 90% of my noise. The noise is coming from the gap you can see in the following picture..I have looked at a fair few older FG's and they all seem to have the bow out at the top.. however, I recently drove Ford's press XR6 and the mirror mount was perfect and no wind noise....So I'm off to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully I'll get it fixed under warranty... I'll let you know how it goes..
bunna Legacy Donating Member 813 Member For: 20y 1m 7d Posted 09/12/09 10:48 AM Posted 09/12/09 10:48 AM Bring it in to Broady Dan (or we can come to you) - I'll get my man onto it so we can root cause it, put an ICA in, and get something out of it for the rest of the buying public (supervising the whole VEC now, not just S&R). I think I remember John emailing me something about this a while back?
midnight Member 62 Member For: 18y 3m 20d Gender: Male Location: s/west Victoria Posted 09/12/09 12:44 PM Posted 09/12/09 12:44 PM I have the same annoying wind noise. Will have to try the tape and see what that does
dashturbo Legacy Donating Member 280 Member For: 18y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Watsonia Posted 09/12/09 10:36 PM Author Posted 09/12/09 10:36 PM hey bunna, congrats on the promotion Well the car is at the dealer now.. Courtney and Patterson in Heidelberg.. I'll let you know what they do. Thanks for the offer though, might still take you up on it.I did send john an email with all the details a few months ago. Speaking of which, got any ideas on how I can wriggle my way into an interview over there?Midnight,I placed some tape on the top edge, drove along the freeway at 100km/h then put the window down and took the tape off... made a big difference to mine.
ubute Member 172 Member For: 21y 5d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 14/12/09 10:53 PM Posted 14/12/09 10:53 PM Yeah I've got the same wind noise/whistle, its freaking annoying
dashturbo Legacy Donating Member 280 Member For: 18y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Watsonia Posted 14/12/09 11:46 PM Author Posted 14/12/09 11:46 PM (edited) yeah well, I took mine to the dealer... they told me they removed the mirror and re-glued it..now its worse than ever, plus now I have the some dodgy black goop visible on the window seal. I love my car but..every dealer is the same For the moment the best fix appears to be black electrical tape.. although I haven't tried it since the "repair". Edited 14/12/09 11:47 PM by dashturbo
ubute Member 172 Member For: 21y 5d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 15/12/09 12:13 AM Posted 15/12/09 12:13 AM Well that sux. Note to self: avoid dealer, and learn to live with annoying wind noise.
Guest XR09 Guests Posted 15/12/09 03:23 AM Posted 15/12/09 03:23 AM I have an 08 fg and I have the same wind noise, with my drivers side mirror. It sucks!They replaced the left hand mirror in October because of a faulty ambient temp gauge. It does not make the same amount of wind noise. Still a bit, but no where near as much as the drivers.I did not notice till I was a passenger in it.
Guest XR09 Guests Posted 20/12/09 12:59 AM Posted 20/12/09 12:59 AM So what happened ? Is that it ?You spent how much with them and they tell you to reglue it yourself ?Fark that. Am I the only one who finds that unacceptable.Unbelieveable. Why would you buy a new ford. Your warrenty sucks, Your dealer cops that shoite and MR tech at ford gets no grief at all. OK the gaps on the old mirror R/H. Front/entry is 4cm and the back exit is 8cm. The new quiter one L/H front/entry is 5cm and the rear/exit is 6cm.There ya go.Would love mr Tech at fords number.
bunna Legacy Donating Member 813 Member For: 20y 1m 7d Posted 20/12/09 01:10 PM Posted 20/12/09 01:10 PM (edited) I beg your pardon - the dealer told him to go fix it himself, not Ford. I actually offered for him to bring it in for me to look at personally, which is very much above and beyond what should be necessary, but does allow the opportunity to learn from it.Dan, we're back on the 12th if you still want it looked at (picking up windnoise time in service audits now just like johnny's squeak and rattle ones). Seen this issue a few times now on the early FGs. Either that or I'll dig up the ECB (if it exists) to see if the dealer even tried to claim this through warranty, and whether PVT has looked at it yet. Edited 20/12/09 01:11 PM by bunna
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now